Single pilot challenge-response

6 hours ago, Hank said:

Know your plane. Know your starting fuel and expected use.

I've taken my C out 4:45 twice, the first time due to deviations for ice with strong winds [the outbound flight was ~2:25]. The seat gets very uncomfortable and the body wants to move well before that time. But I landed both times and the fuel pump confirmed 41-42 gallons used, leaving 10 gallons or 1:08 remaining. The second time was three legs, because the fuel pump at my planned stop after leg #2 would not work [no fuel at first stop]. i also kept an eye on things, was familiar with where I was going, and had multiple choices to stop short for fuel if needed.

But I really prefer my flights to be shorter than that!

My post was intended as a light-hearted comment and as a reminder to not let a simple issue like fuel exhaustion become the issue that shortens our flight.  Of course we need to know our planes.  

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Know your plane. Know your starting fuel and expected use.

I've taken my C out 4:45 twice, the first time due to deviations for ice with strong winds [the outbound flight was ~2:25]. The seat gets very uncomfortable and the body wants to move well before that time. But I landed both times and the fuel pump confirmed 41-42 gallons used, leaving 10 gallons or 1:08 remaining. The second time was three legs, because the fuel pump at my planned stop after leg #2 would not work [no fuel at first stop]. i also kept an eye on things, was familiar with where I was going, and had multiple choices to stop short for fuel if needed.

But I really prefer my flights to be shorter than that!

Did you just state on MS that Mooneys are not comfortable? Oh oh .... :)

• Haha 1

Just now, hais said:

Did you just state on MS that Mooneys are not comfortable? Oh oh .... :)

It's perfectly comfortable. But after 4 hours sitting down, I want to stand up and move around. Can't do that in a GA piston airplane. 

• 7 months later...

One of my Doctors is new to our team as of the summer 2022, on our first flight together he asked me why I was talking to myself, and tapping everything.

He was concerned that maybe there was a problem.

When I explained to him that I talk to myself out loud, and touch the piece with my finger, it would hopefully reduce the chance of a problem, he began asking questions about the plane, flight, and procedures.

Then he bought a book on how to be a pilot, and read it cover to cover over the next few weeks, and took a big interest learning how to fly.

My belief is that he thought i had lost my mind, until I explained it to him.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Canadian Gal said:

One of my Doctors is new to our team as of the summer 2022, on our first flight together he asked me why I was talking to myself, and tapping everything.

He was concerned that maybe there was a problem.

When I explained to him that I talk to myself out loud, and touch the piece with my finger, it would hopefully reduce the chance of a problem, he began asking questions about the plane, flight, and procedures.

Then he bought a book on how to be a pilot, and read it cover to cover over the next few weeks, and took a big interest learning how to fly.

My belief is that he thought i had lost my mind, until I explained it to him.

If you saw me doing that in my Honda Civic, what would be your diagnosis? Proof that pilots are privileged ;) 

• Haha 1