First night flight with my new panel in my Ovation. Stunning sunset!!!

Fly_M20R

This is my first night flight after having installed a GTN750 Xi to replace 530W, GFC500 to replace KFC150 and GI275 EIS to replace Insight G4 and all other engine gauges. Also changed glare shield lights to green LED's. I had done a couple of previous flights in daylight to work out some bugs and it was ready for a night flight! :)

It was a perfect night to fly: smooth air and stunning sunset that I "chased" flying West. Also had a really nice night landing with the new LED runway lights at 15FL.

Enjoy!!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Great weather!

Ultra smooth landing!

Fantastic video!

Thanks for sharing your night flight Chris!

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you Anthony!! Glad you enjoyed it! It was one of those "perfect nights" to fly!!

Chris

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Enjoyed the video Chris. Liked the green lighting. And everything else.

Thank you David! I do think "the stars aligned" for that flight. It turned out a perfect VFR night to fly!

I am sure that you have read about green vs red for night vision preservation. I had not prior to choosing which color to use. With what I read I gathered that although red may have slightly better night vision retention it is very difficult to actually discern much detail or read much of anything at an intensity level that preserves night vision. In order to read anything one has to increase the intensity to a level that it does not preserve night vision any more. However, one can actually discern detail and read with the green at a level below the one where one loses night vision. Such are colors and our eyes!! I am also very sure that a lot of Mooneyspace members also know this fact. 

Regards,

Chris

At least 20 years ago I observed to my eye doctor while doing the red/green test, flying at night and trying to read print on the approach plates had become impossible.  Turn on the white light and it was okay.  He told me something about the focal length being different but never suggested green light.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 7:38 AM, David Lloyd said:

At least 20 years ago I observed to my eye doctor while doing the red/green test, flying at night and trying to read print on the approach plates had become impossible.  Turn on the white light and it was okay.  He told me something about the focal length being different but never suggested green light.

After a few night flights it does appear that I can discern detail better with green than what I recall with red. I have not done any real "science experiment" yet though. ;)

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...