Coast to Coast end of April 2022

My flying club just purchased a M20J that is currently in annual at AirMods in New Jersey.  I am one of the two pilots flying it back to its new home in Northern California.  Both of us have recent M20J flight time and are instrument current.  My co-pilot use to live in the North East, I have always lived in the West.  My co-pilot is also an A&P.  We have a stop in Charlotte to visit a family member planned for the first night.  Any packing/not packing advice?  Must see stops flying the southern route home?  We will have oxygen available if we need it.

i-njSBJkN-X5.jpg

Edited by Clearview
stop correction
  • Like 1

I flew ATL-SJC-ATL same time last year in an M20R. The biggest hassles were Covid related. Most of that has abated I think. We flew ATL-TUL-ABQ-DAG-SJC. I have always liked the service at Cutter in ABQ and this time was no exception. Hotels and transportation due to Covid were another story. Call ahead. If you want scenery, don't miss flying over Sedona. Great vistas. You will likely need O2 out of ABQ west bound as the MEAs are a little crowded if you are IFR.

• Like 3

Take Rte 80….  NYC to SFO… :)

For good luck…

Get a Sensorcon CO sensor…

Post some pics so we know what you have to work with…

Post a screen shot of planned flight route… WingX of Foreflight work pretty well…

You can get a ton of insight when you put in a bit of effort to get everyone up to speed with what you are doing…

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I flew ATL-SJC-ATL same time last year in an M20R. The biggest hassles were Covid related. Most of that has abated I think. We flew ATL-TUL-ABQ-DAG-SJC. I have always liked the service at Cutter in ABQ and this time was no exception. Hotels and transportation due to Covid were another story. Call ahead. If you want scenery, don't miss flying over Sedona. Great vistas. You will likely need O2 out of ABQ west bound as the MEAs are a little crowded if you are IFR.

Agree beautiful once cross into New Mexico I like AEG when in Albuquerque turbulence was brutal on last excursion out west. Oxygen will come in handy once in that area 

22 hours ago, Clearview said:

My flying club just purchased a M20J that is currently in annual at AirMods in New Jersey.  I am one of the two pilots flying it back to its new home in Northern California.  Both of us have recent M20J flight time and are instrument current.  My co-pilot use to live in the North East, I have always lived in the West.  My co-pilot is also an A&P.  We have a stop in North Carolina to visit a family member planned for the first night.  Any packing/not packing advice?  Must see stops flying the southern route home?  We will have oxygen available if we need it.

i-njSBJkN-X5.jpg

If you're flying across Central Texas, KAQO (Llano, pronounced locally as LAAH-NO) is a great stop. Good prices on fuel and courtesy cars to go get lunch or dinner at Cooper's BBQ, which was written up in Flying Magazine a few years back.

Keep your plans flexible with any long trip like this.  Agree with your co-pilot in advance that you are prepared to spend time on the ground (maybe days) for weather to pass.   

For packing, bring your own ads-b receiver.  Don't assume your ipad-software-airplane source will always be compatible.  I had a case where mine worked fine, until someone with a different app connected to my receiver at the same time.  

Meteor crater near Winslow AZ

Sedona

i did SSI- ATL- Ada OK- Albuquerque - Sedona - Victorville - San Diego on the way out, then flew the southern border, San Diego - El Paso - Dallas - ATL on the way back. 

I used oxygen on the way back, seemed to help a lot with fatigue on the long legs/ long flying days. 

another +1 for Sedona, especially just before sunset.  Winslow has a long and well maintained runway as well if you want fuel and you can swing by Meteor crater like 201Steve mentioned.  Depending on when you start turning north, if you keep going west you can stop by big bear, that's a short ish runway but a cool little town.  if you start going north around Sedona, you can fly over the Grand Canyon, head up to page and then head north west near Zion national park, cedar city is a cool stop if you take that route (lots of helicopter training there though).  Another option from Sedona would be Grand Canyon West airport (1G4).

If you stop in Winslow for fuel let me know, I fly the EMS helicopter there week on/week off.  Stop by if you have the time

On 3/22/2022 at 7:21 PM, carusoam said:

Take Rte 80….  NYC to SFO… :)

For good luck…

Get a Sensorcon CO sensor…

Post some pics so we know what you have to work with…

Post a screen shot of planned flight route… WingX of Foreflight work pretty well…

You can get a ton of insight when you put in a bit of effort to get everyone up to speed with what you are doing…

Best regards,

-a-

I received a Sensorcon CO sensor for Christmas and its already in my flight bag.  I was thinking BBQ in Texas.  I have used O2 when flying above 8000 in the west and it does help with fatigue.  Here is the panel we will work with.   Keep the ideas coming!

i-vqwrVv3-X5.jpg

• Like 1

Spring weather comes with lots of bumps…

The higher you cruise, the more bump free it will be…

O2 is good to have…

Make sure you have an O2 sensor for your finger tip, or a modern smart watch with an O2 sensor….

Coming back east is more fun…

Strong tail winds will make you a modern day sailor… :)

Ground speeds can be ginormous this time of year.

See if you can prove that your second GI275 functions as a back up attitude indicator…

We have seen one installation that this assumption wasn’t true…  I believe, both have to have independent AHRS sensors or something like that…  when one red X’d, so did the other… with disastrous results…   A document check probably works well for this to see what the prior owner bought…

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

See if you can prove that your second GI275 functions as a back up attitude indicator…

We have seen one installation that this assumption wasn’t true…  I believe, both have to have independent AHRS sensors or something like that…  when one red X’d, so did the other… with disastrous results…   A document check probably works well for this to see what the prior owner bought…

Is this a thing?  I have 2 GI275s and the second does switch over to an AI but are you saying if the other failed the 2nd didnt switch over?

17 minutes ago, David M20J said:

Is this a thing?  I have 2 GI275s and the second does switch over to an AI but are you saying if the other failed the 2nd didnt switch over?

whatever you got… make sure they do switchover… and work…

If it only has one AHRS sensor…. If it fails… you have two displays that don’t show attitude…

First, know what you have…

The system I referenced above was put together by a previous owner….

The new owner was not familiar with all of the things behind the panel…

On the surface, They look good…

But they have to work good too…

Installation shops get the manuals to know what is required to make these displays work as expected…

You have the traditional TC there… so you have a back-up device… (a crummy one)

Just make sure of what you have supporting the displays…

Trust but verify…

Don’t assume…

Etc.. etc…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy…

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

whatever you got… make sure they do switchover… and work…

If it only has one AHRS sensor…. If it fails… you have two displays that don’t show attitude…

First, know what you have…

The system I referenced above was put together by a previous owner….

The new owner was not familiar with all of the things behind the panel…

On the surface, They look good…

But they have to work good too…

Installation shops get the manuals to know what is required to make these displays work as expected…

You have the traditional TC there… so you have a back-up device… (a crummy one)

Just make sure of what you have supporting the displays…

Trust but verify…

Don’t assume…

Etc.. etc…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy…

Best regards,

-a-

Oh yes.... we're not planning to drill any holes in clouds until everything checks out

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

6 hours ago, David M20J said:

It is possible that the HSI does not have an independent AHRS if it was installed only as an HSI. That would require backup up instruments.  If installed as a Standby ADI/HSI with it's own AHRS, a reversionary switch would be required. That would not require backup instruments.  The equipment installed and how it is installed is in the AFMS and legally must be included with the POH.  Tip off is the reversionary switch, either you got it, or don't.  Then make certain it works.  One of you can read the Pilot Guide by the time you get to California.  If you take the long way.

20211110_180111.thumb.jpg.83e8f7effcee615d9762c4e5e64157dc.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David M20J said:

another +1 for Sedona, especially just before sunset.  Winslow has a long and well maintained runway as well if you want fuel and you can swing by Meteor crater like 201Steve mentioned.  Depending on when you start turning north, if you keep going west you can stop by big bear, that's a short ish runway but a cool little town.  if you start going north around Sedona, you can fly over the Grand Canyon, head up to page and then head north west near Zion national park, cedar city is a cool stop if you take that route (lots of helicopter training there though).  Another option from Sedona would be Grand Canyon West airport (1G4).

If you stop in Winslow for fuel let me know, I fly the EMS helicopter there week on/week off.  Stop by if you have the time

So have you had to pick up anybody from INW due to rattle snakes at the fuel pit? That sign "Beware of Rattlesnakes" cracks me up:)

Another vote for Sedona, I was just there this weekend and not only is it absolutely one of the most beautiful places to see from both the ground and the air but the airport is great being up on the mesa and has a good restaurant and great line service. 

5 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Another vote for Sedona, I was just there this weekend and not only is it absolutely one of the most beautiful places to see from both the ground and the air but the airport is great being up on the mesa and has a good restaurant and great line service. 

Pics?

Vid?

:)

-a-

Finally got the proposed map to show up.

I'd probably favor going to Santa Fe over Albuquerque unless you have some particular compelling reason to go to Albuquerque.

I'd also still suggest a flight up (even though its a detour) to KCNY (Canyonlands, in Moab, UT).  Incredible scenery.  Photos of Sedona, AZ to Moab, UT: https://www.ryancbinns.com/flying/megatrip/19_ksez_kcny and Moab, UT to Santa Fe, NM: https://www.ryancbinns.com/flying/megatrip/20_kcny_ksaf

My trip: 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, Skates97 said:

We went coast to coast back in 2019, this is the route we took there and back. I wrote up the different legs in separate posts.

https://intothesky.com/2019/07/16/coast-to-coast-mission-tour-complete/

Great trip log Skates97!  If the weather is good, we will fly the Hudson River:) Picking up 72R at N87 anyway.  Just need to take the SFRA course on FAASafety.gov

13 hours ago, Clearview said:

Great trip log Skates97!  If the weather is good, we will fly the Hudson River:) Picking up 72R at N87 anyway.  Just need to take the SFRA course on FAASafety.gov

Thanks! The Hudson River is on my bucket list. @201er has some great videos of flying it. 

• Like 2