Look out!

haymak3r

Welp, I had my checkride on Friday, and passed with just a couple squawks. Overall I apparently did pretty well, though I felt like the sky was coming down around me haha. I am 32 hours in on my mooney, and did my checkride in it. 

282988607_Photo22-03-1816-36-400716.thumb.jpg.df8e01f4ae5384bbd89f5ed173d86b8f.jpg

• Like 14

21 hours ago, haymak3r said:

No doubt. It is a fun plane to fly! I am taking a couple weeks off, as the plane is now in for annual lol.. But then it is on to instrument training. 

Sounds like a job well done. Just so you know, instrument training can be a lot more difficult than primary.

41 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Sounds like a job well done. Just so you know, instrument training can be a lot more difficult than primary.

yep. I've literally told my instructor, that I am both happy, and scared haha. Happy to be at the end of this part, but scared because now the real work begins :)

29 minutes ago, haymak3r said:

yep. I've literally told my instructor, that I am both happy, and scared haha. Happy to be at the end of this part, but scared because now the real work begins :)

My advice to you, start hitting the books and get a leg up on the training before it even starts.

• Like 1

Congrats!

All the instrument rating requires is time, study, practice, and most importantly continuity. The more often you're able to fly with your instructor the easier it will be for you.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

My advice to you, start hitting the books and get a leg up on the training before it even starts.

I would fly often, and learn power settings and how the plane reacts to any changes, including trim changes.

Then again, I was a VFR Mooney pilot for 3 years. But I KNEW my airplane and had no trouble flying with the panel covered up, hitting CFII-desired speeds and configurations. 

Still, don't wait that long . . . .

Edited by Hank

1 minute ago, Hank said:

I would fly often, and learn power settings and how the plane reacts to any changes, including trim changes.

Hank mentioned an important point - trim. You must learn to trim as quickly and accurately as possible. You won't be successful at instrument flying if you are constantly struggling to keep the plane flying straight and level.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations, it sounds like you had a great experience. You may also want to check out Accelerated-IFR.com for continious training as they've trained dozens of M20 pilots, at their home base with student owned aircraft. They'll take you throuout the Mooney approved flight envelope to make you the master of your aircraft. When you call them you can ask them for references.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, haymak3r said:

Also a flight simulator will become of more use than when you were getting your ppl. Just practicing entering a holding pattern and flying a full procedure chart will help with the timing and flow of procedures to accomplish to get your technique down and solidify what you learned in the aircraft by repetition. It’s better than just chair flying as it forces you to learn the timing of each event. 6 T’s Time Turn Throttles Twist Track Talk. Commit this to memory for each point and you will not forget nor get anything out of order. Good luck.