Strobe lights M20J

JayMatt

I have a strobe that's gone out on my  M20J. I was wondering if anyone could help make sure I get the right replacement bulb. 

Attached is a picture of mine and linked below is the one that looks just like it. I haven't had much luck with finding specific information. Is that the right replacement bulb? I'm starting to thin I should have taken that light off my wing tip and inspected it more closely. 

https://www.knots2u.net/whelen-a625-wing-tip-tail-strobe-assy-part-01-0770058-03/

Any input is appreciated. 

Mooney Strobe Picture.jpg

24 minutes ago, JayMatt said:

I have a strobe that's gone out on my  M20J. I was wondering if anyone could help make sure I get the right replacement bulb. 

Attached is a picture of mine and linked below is the one that looks just like it. I haven't had much luck with finding specific information. Is that the right replacement bulb? I'm starting to thin I should have taken that light off my wing tip and inspected it more closely. 

https://www.knots2u.net/whelen-a625-wing-tip-tail-strobe-assy-part-01-0770058-03/

Before you blame the bulb, be sure to check the power supply. That’s what went bad on mine. Lucky I replaced that and not the bulb cause it’s still good a decade since.

2 minutes ago, 201er said:

Before you blame the bulb, be sure to check the power supply. That’s what went bad on mine. Lucky I replaced that and not the bulb cause it’s still good a decade since.

I will make sure to check that I guess. Never even considered it could be something else. Also, I managed to get ahold of the bulb company and they lined me out with the right bulb. 

I have the same and after replacement of a power supply have been working well for the past 8-10 years. I’ve been waiting for a reason to go LED and now that my arm bumped into the bulb walking around the wingtip and broke it, I now have a reason. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayMatt said:

That’s a Hoskins wingtip strobe, the Hoskins  boxes have been out of  production for a couple of decades now, but you can morph a Whelen strobe box to work with it, tou

gotta repin the strobe side connector…. the strobe tube can also morph and aeroflash tube by cutting it down enough to fit it inside of the lens, or building up a Whelen tube,  and the plastic lens can be replaced with a Piper tail light lens

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JayMatt said:

I will make sure to check that I guess. Never even considered it could be something else. Also, I managed to get ahold of the bulb company and they lined me out with the right bulb. 

Easy check would be to swap the bulbs left and right.

Given the cost of the bulbs (let alone the power supply) are almost half the cost of the Whelen LED's, it's worth a though.  Replacing both wingtips isn't cheap, but you can skip the tail and do it later to save some cost.

Best to not waste too much money on that…

But… you may find many parts around here from people taking those out of service…

There is a thread around here that explains All of the options for LED…

If you have dough… not stuck in the CB club…

Find @OSUAV8TER he is our local Whelen guy… see what he has on sale…

Lots of options to consider…

Best regards,

-a-

and… see if this helps…

30E9A776-14F0-4D01-9E91-FA0D588575B4.jpeg

If you're looking to go to LED I carry the Orion 650 LED nav and strobe light fixture. You can repurpose your existing wiring, remove the strobe power supply, and install these in about 2 hours max. For the tail I recommend the 7155412 LED nav light. I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) authorized dealer.

gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com <-- Email me for a quote

1-833-425-5288 <-- Call me

www.gallagheraviationllc.com <-- Website

IMG_2873.JPG.6a5f3050ef167b1e45bc3ded8c116362.JPGNewOrion6501.thumb.png.243c7d406962e0ce626ce1b2e50b6a19.png

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, OSUAV8TER said:

If you're looking to go to LED I carry the Orion 650 LED nav and strobe light fixture. You can repurpose your existing wiring, remove the strobe power supply, and install these in about 2 hours max. For the tail I recommend the 7155412 LED nav light. I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) authorized dealer.

gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com <-- Email me for a quote

1-833-425-5288 <-- Call me

www.gallagheraviationllc.com <-- Website

IMG_2873.JPG.6a5f3050ef167b1e45bc3ded8c116362.JPGNewOrion6501.thumb.png.243c7d406962e0ce626ce1b2e50b6a19.png

I probably need to call you and discuss. Part of me wants the LED but there are so many wants I need to do one at a time