Looking for black rocker switch for strobes

Anyone have any leads on where I can get my hands on a black rocker switch (10A) for strobes for my 20F? Laser has them in white for an absolutely insane price tag... But I'd rather match the rest of my switches and hopefully get a decent price. $300+ for a switch is insane IMO.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I was mistaken, laser doesn't have any switches that say "strobes". 

9 minutes ago, spitzfyre said:

Anyone have any leads on where I can get my hands on a black rocker switch (10A) for strobes for my 20F? Laser has them in white for an absolutely insane price tag... But I'd rather match the rest of my switches and hopefully get a decent price. $300+ for a switch is insane IMO.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I was mistaken, laser doesn't have any switches that say "strobes". 

I think you may be mistaken…

Got a pic of what you have?

If you search for switch caps… you can find some interesting solutions…

Switches are expensive because they are Circuit breaker switches…

You (rightly) want a $1 plastic part… they (wrongly) want you to by the whole CB/switch/cap combination…

Last I have seen… real caps are impossible to get…  because the maker won’t just sell the caps…

They only come in white and red… printed with about 15 different aviation standard choices…

Somebody is 3D printing the caps around here for something very close to original…

There are a few really nice modern looking switches that are not CB switches…

Start with a pic of your black one…

For fun, look up Sensata aviation switches…

It really helps to know which switch part number your plane is using…

Best regards,

-a-

Only have a pic of the entire panel. 

I don't need a cover, I need an entire switch. I currently don't have strobes on the aircraft at all, and would like to add them. I have a switch labeled "anti col" which operates my beacon, and then just navs on wingtips. I suppose I could get a switch that says "rot beacon" and change the beacon to that, and use the existing "anti col" for strobes...

image3.jpeg

Go to the aircraft spruce site with your part number and look at the prices there…

If they don’t have the exact one listed… a call on the phone will get you exactly what you want…

Now about the black?

Have you seen one, or is this hoping to see one?

Looks like all of your CBs are hiding behind a cover…?

Where are all of your switches hiding?

The usual layout has the switches along the bottom of the panel in a nice row, split between two bus bars…

Best regards,

-a-

Bummer…. Things just got more complicated… :)

You have one of those most recent M20Fs with a really modern panel…

Probably 1974 or newer?

Most often…

People have their strobes on a dedicated CB/switch…

Because turning them off in clouds, or when on the ground is done separately than the rotating beacon device… 

Adding another rocker switch looks like creative surgery is required…

A simple solution is putting a standard CB/switch right where you have a blank hole covered… and something else mounted in the center there…

The good news…

You know what you want, you know where to get it…

You know it is more than the standard switch…

CBswitches do the right job, the right way… and to do that they are expensive…

Now, the hard part…

If you do get the new black rocker switch… how are you going to integrate that into the nice panel, without it looking like a hack job?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

Lol. I've been staring at the panel since I bought the plane, trying to figure out where to put the switch. Because you're right, I need to be able to turn it off separately from the other lights for ground night ops and IFR in clouds. 

It's a 1974 F model. New to me, only had it about a month. 

I have no idea what that thing is in the center of the blank cover. I was thinking maybe putting the switch there, or putting it where the placarded checklist is, just to the left of the 530. I never look at it; I have separate checklists. 

Thought maybe there might be double switches out there (two separate switches in the same space as one) but not sure if they make those as CB switches. I'll have to look

hey, how was my guess about the year of your plane based on a panel pic? :)

More good/great news… I think…

The split switches exist…

I have a few in my plane…

And a couple of them are black… too…

The long body’s Use the split switches mounted at the ceiling for a pair of landing lights, a pair of recog lights, and a pair of taxi lights… a good reason for the black color…

Some Mooneys also have a split switch that operates the master and the alternator relays…

The long bodies moved away from the split switch for the alternator and use a regular switch there…

Doing it right, or elegantly, may get more expensive….

A split switch would look really good, and probably work well…

But this level of work often requires the proper use of a mechanic…. For the great documentation of the change… sizing and pairing of the switches the best way…

Lets ask our Whelen guy if he has insight on using a split switch to share Their LED strobes…. @OSUAV8TER is often helpful sharing his knowledge on the subject…

In case the strobes can’t be shared via a split CB switch with other lights… some strobes make noise… and separation may be good house keeping…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

Everything is going your way tonight Spitz!

Its kinda late on a Sunday night where our Whelen guy is…

But, he has been known to show up like everyone else… :)

If you have a parts manual for your Mooney…

You can look up who made your switches…

Mooney used two different suppliers over the years…

Sensata / Klixon made the lions share of the rocker style CB switches…

Have a look at this data sheet…

it is close to what you are asking for… including options for the switch cap… the color options are somewhat coded

Look deeper to find the split switches…

Your skills probably exceed mine by far…   :)

Often, people call Sensata to find out exactly the switch they want to have…  

Then purchase that product number through aircraftspruce… or your favorite supplier…

https://www.sensata.com/sites/default/files/a/sensata-20tc series-single phase rocker type actuator-datasheet_1.pdf

Best regards,

-a-

You can use a split switch and many people do it now. Unfortunately I do not have a good recommendation for one. To avoid noise attenuation you need to have the lights ground at the battery bus and not right next to the lamp on the airframe. 

• Like 1