Mooney 231 Backup Alternator Options?

Ethan

I have a 1981 Mooney M20K with the TSIO-360-LB1B. My alternator with its gear drive and frangible drive coupling is the weak link. Are there any good back-up alternator options for my airplane available. I don't want to buy a new engine to do it. I am now vacuum pump free so I have a vacuum pump pad I could use. 

Thanks

Thanks for the input folks. B & C still doesn't have a standby alternator for use in an LB engine. Second, although an accessory case from an MB engine is a good idea there must be a simpler solution with less paperwork. I did see that a company called Basic Aircraft used to sell a pop out air-driven-generator but I don't think they are making them right now. Anyone on this site ever install and use one of these? How was it? Here is the link: https://www.basicaircraft.com

Thanks,

How serious do you want to be about having the second alternator…?

There is some great info about the wind driven aLternators around here…somewhere…

At least one MSer has one….

If it were my plane…

Something that important gets checked pre-flight to make sure it is working… before departing into IMC…

I don’t think, that system can be tested in a way I would need for comfort, pre-flight… :)

IMC raises the bar for all of the fun ideas…

And eliminates the almost ran ideas…

How does the wind powered one work in icing conditions?

Does your situation allow for something that might have some short comings?

See if you can find the thread with air driven alternator… we can probably find the MSers that have one…

PP thoughts only… not an avionics guru…

Best regards,

-a-

There exist a couple of alternators that mount on a vacuum pump pad. I doubt there is an STC so I believe it would take a field approval, and I believe some modification to the electrical system, but 30 amps ought to be enough to get you on the ground, even if it doesn’t cover 100% of the load, it does cut 30 amps off of it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/sd20_alternator.php

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input folks. B & C still doesn't have a standby alternator for use in an LB engine. Second, although an accessory case from an MB engine is a good idea there must be a simpler solution with less paperwork. I did see that a company called Basic Aircraft used to sell a pop out air-driven-generator but I don't think they are making them right now. Anyone on this site ever install and use one of these? How was it? Here is the link: https://www.basicaircraft.com

Thanks,
Have you talked to B&C about it? They can give you a copy of a previously issued field approval which your IA of choice can use on your airplane. I know it has been done before on a 231.

I got a field approval for a 182RG using data from a previous 337 on a 182Q and their STC for a PA-32-300.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:28 PM, 201Mooniac said:

Here is a copy of a 337 filed for installing a B&C standby alternator on a 231337_BC410_Mooney_M20K_N44CG.pdf

There is in my opinion the answer, it ought to also be used even for a 201, again an opinion, but print it out, show it to your IA and he or she ought to be able to get approval BEFORE you buy the alternator.

I think there is a 30 amp version too?

Usually field approvals that improve safety are easier to get approved

Edited by A64Pilot

36 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

There is in my opinion the answer, it ought to also be used even for a 201, again an opinion, but print it out, show it to your IA and he or she ought to be able to get approval BEFORE you buy the alternator.

Just a heads up, the 337 references two STCs. The FAA will want to see a permission letter from B&C to utilize that data before issuing the field approval. It's worth a call to B&C, they are good to work with, but the OP will likely have to purchase the unit to receive the letter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

While I agree with what you said, my IA asked the FSDO about an approval and was told they aren't approving ANY field approvals since covid began and for the foreseeable future.  I guess I'll be waiting for awhile.

Thanks very much for this 337 paperwork N231BN. I have a call in to B&C about any guidance they may have. My engine is slightly different from yours (mine's an LB not an MB) I don't know whether that should make any difference. 

17 hours ago, Ethan said:

Thanks very much for this 337 paperwork N231BN. I have a call in to B&C about any guidance they may have. My engine is slightly different from yours (mine's an LB not an MB) I don't know whether that should make any difference. 

It was @201Mooniac that offered the 337. The -LB has a more simple accessory pad arrangement than the -MB4 in the 337 so there shouldn't be any issues there. I don't know what the status of the FSDO is in your area but I was able to get the field approval for the 182 during the first year of covid. That particular owner received three field approvals on his airplane that spring.

The LB engine vacuum pad is in a much more open spot than the MB engine, making R&R of the vacuum pump a breeze on the LB. But IIRC, it up higher right below the upper cowling and i would be concerned if the alternator would fit okay.
therefore before going any further of the approval process i would first try to verify that it’s been successfully installed on another LB anyway you can. Failing that I try to verify fitment before buying one if possible or be able to return it if it doesn’t fit.
Approval may not be the only obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk