PC system and cleaning exterior and interior

Hi, we recently bought a M20E model. We were thinking of doing two AV-30s and keeping the vacuum system to power the PC system. The PC system works as it should at this time. What autopilot choices do I have in the future? I know G5s would be the way to go with a GFC 500 AP. 

Another question, the paint on the Mooney is a single stage paint. I spoke to my mechanic and he informed me that I can polish it out and wax it. What are some product recommendations for wet wash, compound, wax/sealant/ceramic, and instant detailer? Also interior is leather and plastic anything to take out old stains and treat the leather would be helpful! 

thanks!

2 hours ago, TSC1020 said:

Hi, we recently bought a M20E model. We were thinking of doing two AV-30s and keeping the vacuum system to power the PC system. The PC system works as it should at this time. What autopilot choices do I have in the future?

If you have a working PC system I would try to find a Accutrac system. Obviously not as fancy as a new GFC500, but for 10% of the cost you get a basic autopilot that when coupled to a WAAS navigator does a fine job tracking the flight plan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having come from the auto detailing world, the concept of paint correction, care and protection is the same. I would start with a good wash, chemical  decontamination, claying (traditional bar or new mitt), correction with the least abrasive pad/compound that will do the job, and then a wax or sealant or even ceramic coat of your choice. 

• Thanks 1

@Fly Boomer Over time, ferrous particles and contaminants embed themselves in the paint. Clay bar can remove a lot but a good decon with something like Iron X will dissolve ferrous and other contaminants deep in the paint. You can spray on, let it do its work, and then rinse off.

To answer @TSC1020’s question, there are a variety of really good products out there. I like Adam’s Polishes products, but there are so many great products out there from Carpro-us.com and other places that you really can’t go wrong with a lot of it. Just research the pros and cons of each approach (like sealant vs wax vs ceramic coating). I’m in the process of prepping my C model for ceramics. It’s just so much more surface area than a car!

Find the AV30 users…

There was an issue regarding HSI and rate of drift…. Should have a solution currently…

These devices are relatively new, not a lot in Mooneys…

If you are good with hardware integration… fantastic…

If you are not an integration guru…

There is a good thread or two that are worth reading the details…

The AV20 also had a quirk….

The displays look nice!

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guru…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

One of the downsides of the AV30 is the HSI doesn't provide vertical guidance.  This may change in the future but that means you always have to have a separate CDI for any approach with vertical guidance.  A bit of a bummer, but I guess if it's a VFR only plane it wouldn't be a big deal.  

I understand the precession issue was resolved but have no direct knowledge on the matter.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have found for the exterior of the plane, once you clean it and polish out any haze/light scratches, that finishing it with Top Gun Ultra Finish has given me a good glossy and resilient finish.  I have tried a number of waxes and they do look great at first but tend to collect dust over time.  Haven't had that problem with the Top Gun product.  I'm sure there are other good products out there too, this one has worked well for me.

For a leather interior, I also found that using separate cleaner and conditioners works better than the all in one solution.  I have tried Maguiar's and Lexol products successfully.  The killer for leather is direct sunlight and dry conditions.  The conditioners need to contain oils that keep the leather soft and flexible.  Treated will, they will last many, many years. 

I'm envious on your avionics upgrades, they are on my hit list if and when funds come available. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:17 PM, Schinderhannes said:

If you have a working PC system I would try to find a Accutrac system. Obviously not as fancy as a new GFC500, but for 10% of the cost you get a basic autopilot that when coupled to a WAAS navigator does a fine job tracking the flight plan.  

Wonder where I could find one? That could work if the price was right. 

22 hours ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

One of the downsides of the AV30 is the HSI doesn't provide vertical guidance.  This may change in the future but that means you always have to have a separate CDI for any approach with vertical guidance.  A bit of a bummer, but I guess if it's a VFR only plane it wouldn't be a big deal.  

I understand the precession issue was resolved but have no direct knowledge on the matter.  

That I did not know, I know G5s is the way to go if you want to do the GFC 500. I see people doing STEC autopilots in these as well. I hear that the Bendix King will be certified for Mooneys soon, anyone can chime in?

8 hours ago, BobbyH said:

I have found for the exterior of the plane, once you clean it and polish out any haze/light scratches, that finishing it with Top Gun Ultra Finish has given me a good glossy and resilient finish.  I have tried a number of waxes and they do look great at first but tend to collect dust over time.  Haven't had that problem with the Top Gun product.  I'm sure there are other good products out there too, this one has worked well for me.

For a leather interior, I also found that using separate cleaner and conditioners works better than the all in one solution.  I have tried Maguiar's and Lexol products successfully.  The killer for leather is direct sunlight and dry conditions.  The conditioners need to contain oils that keep the leather soft and flexible.  Treated will, they will last many, many years. 

I'm envious on your avionics upgrades, they are on my hit list if and when funds come available. 

I will look that Top Gun up! 

@TSC1020 Take a look in theAvionics forum at the BK Aerocruz thread. Theyve been promising FAA certification is coming for the Mooney in a fee months, for years. It is like 30 pages of sadness for pilots and crickets from BK. 

If you have an older analog navcom like me, the G5s will not talk to them. You need either to upgrade to a digital navcom like an SL30 or GNC255 to go with the G5 or go GI-275. 

7 hours ago, TSC1020 said:

Wonder where I could find one? That could work if the price was right. 

I removed a AccuTrak/AccuFlite II from my 20C, when I upgraded to a Dynon. I should have all parts including servos in my hangar. No idea of the value for it. Let me know if interested.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

JPEG image.jpeg

15 hours ago, hbpil said:

I removed a AccuTrak/AccuFlite II from my 20C, when I upgraded to a Dynon. I should have all parts including servos in my hangar. No idea of the value for it. Let me know if interested.

JPEG image 2.jpeg

JPEG image.jpeg

You may want to start a thread for that…

It probably won’t take very long to find an interested party…

Threads in the avionics for sale area probably require the minimum donation to the site…

Best regards,

-a-