Help me decide - Manual vs Electric Gear

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

'74 C......Just under 2 seconds to extend?

Note that retract times for electric gear Mooneys vary, even across the "vintage" C/E/F/G models.  In particular, some of these airplanes have had their landing gear actuator motor retrofitted with the higher ratio gear train from later models (reference SB M20-190B), and therefore extend/retract more slowly.  Our '76F takes about 6 seconds to retract/extend.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 4:09 PM, Vance Harral said:

Note that retract times for electric gear Mooneys vary, even across the "vintage" C/E/F/G models.  In particular, some of these airplanes have had their landing gear actuator motor retrofitted with the higher ratio gear train from later models (reference SB M20-190B), and therefore extend/retract more slowly.  Our '76F takes about 6 seconds to retract/extend.

and it can also varry based on condition of your electric motor, guess how i know ;) i have the lower gear ratio set in mine and noticed cycle time starting to increase from ~2 -> 4 secs, was not long after that it became intermittent. motor needed new windings and brushes.  It was speaking to me but i did not understand what it was trying to say.  Regardless of electric or manual, bookmark LASAR for hard to find Mooney parts and overhaul needs.

• Like 1

gwav8or,
sorry for thread drift but related to my above comment on parts, another name to add to your speed dial, msm, [mention=7207]Alan Fox[/mention] for misc and hard to source parts after you aquire your mooney.

No worries sir it’s all good info. Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flown my manual gear E for 20 years.  I love the elegant simplicity of the manual gear and hydraulic flaps.  It is the only retactable gear approved without a backup.  Saves complexity and I think Weight.  Replace the download block every few thousand hours and have it rigged by someone who knows what they are doing.  Hard to accidentally retract on the ground as well, and really easy to confirm down and locked.  Love the F.  Nice and light and space and load for 4 people.  I wouldn't reject a plane with electric gear but would prefer J bar.

• Like 1