Spend someone else’s AMU’s

Back in the day..

It was OK to have one VOR in the panel….

identifying intersections with a single needle is a bit challenging… but it worked…

What part of the Mooney world do you fly in/to?

Is there no IMC there?

The deeper you get into training… the more answers you will have for your situation… and the questions get deeper too…

Ask a lot of questions…

Best regards,

-a- 

I am a  start / stop  again instrument student and working becoming a start again instrument student  maybe.  For what it's worth I think at a minimum get left side shot gun panel layout cleaned up to a standard six pack layout. I believe Lasar not sure if they still them or not, Hendricks Manufacturing http://www.HendricksMfg.com/  and others  out there will  sell  you  a left side panel. Talk to your IA first see if they are willing to assist willing to allow you to do this.

I get the the shot gun panel layout for VFR flying,  since  I had one for many  years but for  instrument  training  you will probably save time money and little frustration in the long run. So I would suggest on getting at least the left panel to standard 6 pack layout configuration. I am sure that you could learn in the shot panel layout configuration  but if you ever decide to sell or rent or fly right seat someone else plane my guess it will transition a bit easier. since it one less thing to learn.

Just my opinion

hope this helps,

James '67C

• Like 3

I'll be contrarian.   A 430W can be had for considerably less these days if you buy it right.  Coupled with your Appareo ADS-B transponder and Stratus + iPad you have the lowest price point for a very capable IFR panel.

But the installation costs for a 650 vs 430 are basically the same, and that 430 comes without a warranty…so 1 problem with the 430 could erase the money you saved going used.
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

But the installation costs for a 650 vs 430 are basically the same, and that 430 comes without a warranty…so 1 problem with the 430 could erase the money you saved going used.

The cost for a 430W repair is a flat fee- something like 17 amu's now, I think.   That's essentially an overhaul.  They are robust units and "less used" ones are occasionally available.  The probability of a problem is the variable.  I'd say that probability is low unless your Mooney has poorly sealed instrument bay panels.  Ask me how I know...:angry:  Furthermore, some prefer knobs over a touch screen in turbulence.

Thanks for all the input. Getting an official quote for a GNX375 and dual G5. I will keep you guys posted. 

By mouth and grapevine: GNX375 $6800 for the unit $2500 install. I added the dual G5 for fun to see.

2 minutes ago, MMsuper21 said:

Quote came back at 18 amu for GNX375 Dual G5 parts and labor. 

Depending on what they’re configuring that to (AP, other radios, etc), that’s pretty reasonable.  Dual G5s by themselves typically run more than $10k.

8 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Depending on what they’re configuring that to (AP, other radios, etc), that’s pretty reasonable.  Dual G5s by themselves typically run more than $10k.

No AP or other radios.
Keeping kx155 with KI209.

Keeping VAC for PC. (Step is electric :)

Removing Stratus ESG.

Panel will be separate contacted Hendrics mfg.

Now the dilemma is dual GI275 for 2 AMU extra. Or see if I can flush mount the G5s. 

1 hour ago, MMsuper21 said:

No AP or other radios.
Keeping kx155 with KI209.

Keeping VAC for PC. (Step is electric :)

Removing Stratus ESG.

Panel will be separate contacted Hendrics mfg.

Now the dilemma is dual GI275 for 2 AMU extra. Or see if I can flush mount the G5s. 

I got my g5s like 2 weeks before the -275s came out.  I love the g5s, but I wish I could have got the -275s.  If Your panel has the adi hole over the dg hole, I’d just pop in -275s and not worry about the panel surgery.  If you need to rearrange things it might be closer.  Both are good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Starting with the standard layout panel no added avionics for now. I did start measuring behind the panel and looks pretty tight. Was anyone able to fit the GI275 as AI I an E? I saw plenty in the J and newer.

B243B64F-EE7A-4BF4-B0DE-C2D3986DEFB7.jpeg

• Width: 3.25" (82.6 mm)
  • Height: 3.25" (82.6 mm)
  • Depth: 6.44" (163.6 mm)
  • Depth with Connector: 7.40" (188.0 mm)
  • Unit Weight: 1.9 lbs (0.86 kg) to 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg)
  • Active Display Size: 2.69” diameter
  • Display Resolution: 480 x 433 pixels
  • Operating Voltage: 14/28 VDC
  • Operating Temperature Range: -20°C to +55°C
  • Altitude Range: -1,500 ft to 55,000 ft
  • Wi-Fi Class: 802.11b/g/n

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/719027#specs

Looks shorter than many instruments found in older Mooneys…

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update I will post pictures once she all done. Waiting game begins. Ordered one gi275 hsi which will be installed as standby (gives you all the pages, ADHRS, HSI traffic etc) connected to the GNX375. 

I am keeping vacuum for now. The CGR30 is going in on the right side above the g2.

20220405_175438.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update, pilot panel and CGR are in and almost ready. Still waiting on the GI275 and gnx375 still months out. 

You notice that the DG is off by one and that's due to the steering column being the the way, I got about 5 inches of clearance and only the VSI fits. 

The AI needs to be calibrated to 8°. However shops recommends second GI275...maybe next year.

Once the GI275 arrives it will go into the CGR30 slot and the CGR will go back on the co-pilot side.

IMG_0554-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 1

Often… the eight-pac gets an extra column of space over the yoke shaft….

The shaft has some vertical motion and bumps into things mounted above it….

How deep does the GI-275 go?

The panel looks great!

MS did a great job of spending OPM…   :)

Best regards,

-a-

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Often… the eight-pac gets an extra column of space over the yoke shaft….

The shaft has some vertical motion and bumps into things mounted above it….

How deep does the GI-275 go?

The panel looks great!

MS did a great job of spending OPM…   :)

Best regards,

-a-

GI275 needs 7.5 inches with connections. 6.75 without. 

• Thanks 1

Update, now debating if I should get the second GI275 for the AI. Since the AI needs to be updated to 8 degree tilt. (GNX375 and GI275 MFD not in till September)

I personally enjoy the round gauges which makes this more difficult.

However for ease of install in these vintage birds G5's and JPI for ease of install and cost savings.

Just posting for record if anyone has questions or needs some specs  on fitting the panel instruments etc. feel free to PM. 

PXL_20220606_201441490.jpg.ebda3d8d6df4945da583e6f372bf0bb9.jpg

@Fly_M20R?

Has a pair of GI275s in his plane….

And a nice video to go with that…

And tons of pics…

Aka Chris…. 

There are bunches of G5s around here as well…

The difference between the two… one comes from a different branch of the big G family…

Integration between branches can get messy… 

Best regards,

-a-

Besides the obvious benefits of precision. I like the form factor, easy to read and retains the classic round gauge look. 

Surprisingly the AV20 functionality is pretty awesome, however mine has an issue with the ADHRS board and is being RMA'd already. 

Just some updates, after the panel was flattened the tilt in level flight is 15 degrees. It is a pain to find a shop to adjust the attitude indicator. The vacuum ones are a no go for adjustments. I have an electric RCA-26 which I will try to get an adjusted tilt. However it looks like I will have to go with dual GI-275...