Compass M20J

SPEEDMOONEY

Previous owner installed a PAI-700 and I like it as it is better damped and easier to read. Some vertical card compasses are “sticky” due to the internal gearing, but this one seems smooth and easily compensated with only 2-3 deg error on a few headings and no error on most when I swung it after the new panel upgrade. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vertcard_compass3.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Some vertical card compasses are “sticky” due to the internal gearing

I’ve always heard that vertical compasses are really only smooth for a year or two. Then the gears collect dust and grime accumulates over time resulting in sticking. Visually easier to use but more problematic in the long run. 

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

If you have an available 2” hole, installing a panel mount will improve the view:

65187bfdaa502175989f23cc5688e4d3.jpg

It appears the G5 and compass differ by 15 degrees. If the G5 is correct then your compass installation is out of spec.

FAR 23.1327

Magnetic direction indicator.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section--

(1) Each magnetic direction indicator must be installed so that its accuracy is not excessively affected by the airplane's vibration or magnetic fields; and

(2) The compensated installation may not have a deviation, in level flight, greater than ten degrees on any heading.

(b) A magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator may deviate more than ten degrees due to the operation of electrically powered systems such as electrically heated windshields if either a magnetic stabilized direction indicator, which does not have a deviation in level flight greater than ten degrees on any heading, or a gyroscopic direction indicator, is installed. Deviations of a magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator of more than 10 degrees must be placarded in accordance with Sec. 23.1547(e).

4 hours ago, SPEEDMOONEY said:

The bracket just broke ....

You can buy just the bracket/mount at aircraft spruce.   They're thin plastic and break All The Time.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/chousing1.php?clickkey=4432

I got tired of repairing and replacing mine so I bought a PAI-700 vertical card compass like Skip mentioned.   It comes with a mount that has a fair amount of yield in the suspension mechanism, so even if you bump it it's fine.    Very happy with it so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc_B said:

I’ve always heard that vertical compasses are really only smooth for a year or two. Then the gears collect dust and grime accumulates over time resulting in sticking. Visually easier to use but more problematic in the long run. 

I've heard that also. But this PAI-700 was installed in 2010 so it's still working well after 12 years as I noted. Not sure about other brands, though.

I have a compass from a 1998 Ovation.  Can be installed in the edge of the glareshield as in the Ovation are elsewhere.  Can send pictures.  If interested make an offer.  I am not sure what they are worth since I have not checked.

John Breda

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have a compass from a 1998 Ovation.  Can be installed in the edge of the glareshield as in the Ovation are elsewhere.  Can send pictures.  If interested make an offer.  I am not sure what they are worth since I have not checked.

John Breda

@SPEEDMOONEY mentioned a broken bracket… 

Probably the one for tube mounting?

Did the 98 Ovation use the center tube to mount the compass? (It may have)

PP thinking out loud…

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

Hi John

Could you send me pictures ?

Regards

Gilles