Fairmont Hot Springs, BC

I was needing a little relaxation back in October. Too cold to hang out on the beach in Lloyd (we had ice on shore), I thought of the hot springs of BC. It was at least 10 hours to drive to Radium, where I normally go, which ruled it out as a day-trip. I looked around as Radium's airstrip is short and grass.  Fairmont seemed to have a nice airport so I decided to check them out. I checked out the bird, and filed my flight plan. 2.6 hours after take-off I was on final.

Crossing the peaks was interesting. The sharp jaggedness definitely makes one review any possible stingy maintenance decisions. I had checked my fuel and oil like a normal pilot. Fuel was perfect, and oil was clean and at 7 quarts for take-off. The wind was a quartering head-wind off my right wing 60 degrees at 14,500 feet ASL. That gave me 1500' over the tops and a little gliding distance to try to find an elusive road. I was grounding 139 knots on the GPS.

I planned Lloydminster direct to Golden, BC with a left turn south-east for Fairmont. It added 70 miles to my route, but it gave me some time to let down slow as I didn't have speed brakes. The valley where Golden and Fairmont reside is huge and deep and once clear of the last ridge, I gained a little speed in the slide.

Fairmont was nice. Lots of birds on the runway though. Plenty of length and real friendly management. I fueled up at $1.52 per litre which is $5.75 CDN per USG. They also have Jet B. Parking was free. They also gave me a free ride to the resort. The resort operates the runway but nevertheless it was nice not to have to call a cab.

After a good soak in the 104 deg F mineral water, I had a wonderful lunch at the delightful restaurent. Service was great and food beyond reproach.  I declined the beer...

The trip home took only 2 hours and would have been shorter but Calgary airspace was hopping and I got a few vectors. Also, Wainwright had military exercises going on but all the controllers were helpful and professional.

What a great day!

post-9752-13468140774203_thumb.jpg

post-9752-13468140774762_thumb.jpg

post-9752-134681407752_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1346814077553_thumb.jpg

post-9752-13468140775873_thumb.jpg