Should Tesla buy Mooney?

Kmac

Should Tesla buy Mooney? Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. After reading the "Should Tesla buy Mooney?" topic would you buy a new Mooney?

• Yes, at almost any cost.
    • Yes but only if the price could be kept below $500k.
    • No, a 2.5 hour range is not close to enough.
    • Yes but only if range and speed could be increased significantly.
    • There is no chance you will ever see me in an electric aircraft.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/2022 at 03:59 AM

14 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

This just came up, the car shipping company that caught fire and sunk with a lot of Porsches, VWs, some Lambos and Bentleys, has made an announcement.  They will no longer ship cars that are battery driven.  They are blaming this fire on the full electric cars it was hauling.  This will put a kink in the delivery of these cars world wide.

Is this battery technology really something we want in our planes?  A fire that cannot be put out?

As an option, I would prefer to see ICE engines run by Hydrogen than battery cars/planes.  There is more hydrogen in the galaxy than any other element.  Now just to capture/manufacture it on board.  It's only byproduct is H2O. 

Have you seen how many car carriers have sunk over the years… two are pretty recent.  There are more than just the recent ones…

Boat insurance bust be getting crazy!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I know of one that flipped over in Brunswick, seemed to stay there for a looong time before it was finally removed. I’m assuming it’s gone.

I don’t know of one that burned from an EV but would be curious if anyone has a link.

I think sometimes ship sinkings or whatever occur but they don’t make the news until a slow news day or whatever, then it draws interest and the news starts reporting them, leaving us to wonder what’s going on, why are all these ships sinking now, when actually there was no increase, just for a time they are being reported.

Substitute ship sinkings with anything ships was just an example, point is the media can really shape our opinions.

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I don’t know of one that burned from an EV but would be curious if anyone has a link

I couldnt find anything authorative that the fire that sent a lot of VW products to davey jones's locker was caused by an EV fire, just the claim/inference made here and would also welcome a link to this info.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I couldnt find anything authorative that the fire that sent a lot of VW products to davey jones's locker was caused by an EV fire, just the claim/inference made here and would also welcome a link to this info.

I’ve followed news on the Felicity Ace fire and it seem all reports exclude the source of the initial ignition.  There was a mix of EVs and both new and used ICEs on board, and lots of speculation but no factual report. Might have even been due to non-vehicle ignition.

53 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I’ve followed news on the Felicity Ace fire and it seem all reports exclude the source of the initial ignition.  There was a mix of EVs and both new and used ICEs on board, and lots of speculation but no factual report. Might have even been due to non-vehicle ignition.

Thats what I found also Neil. If it were a ship full of Chivvy Bolts, it would make more sense, but Porsche Taycan's and ID4's maybe not so much.

3 hours ago, amillet said:

Is the future here now?

https://www.eviation.co/aircraft/

Does it exist, or is this a Paper airplane?

The problem isn’t airframes or powerplant really, it’s batteries as in energy density, current batteries to carry the required power are just too heavy to fly for long enough to make an electric aircraft compete against a fossil fueled one.

We are with aircraft where EV’s were with lead acid batteries. It will work just can’t go far enough to be really useful.

Musk has an energy density number that it will take in his opinion to make aircraft viable, someone quoted it in this thread, we aren’t there yet.

Edited by A64Pilot

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

ALICE, THE WORLD’S FIRST ALL ELECTRIC PASSENGER PLANE BUILT BY EVIATION AIRCRAFT, HAS BEEN UNDERGOING TESTS AND IS EXPECTED TO TAKE ITS FIRST TEST FLIGHT IN THE COMING WEEKS.

How many people will it carry? What's the range when taking off at gross?

Above was an Earthday announcement….

Getting closer… but no flights yet.

8k# battery…

2+k UL…

Short flights described… Boston to KMVY….

In other goofy news…

The latest ship stuck outside the channel near Baltimore….has been freed… it was stuck for a month in mud…

Looks like the pilot forgot to turn when the channel went right… the boat  went straight.  Boat draws 40’, outside the channel the water depth was 20’….

Somebody got distracted…  and no EVs were involved… :)

-a-

On 4/6/2022 at 7:27 AM, A64Pilot said:

To my knowledge, none of Elon’s developments have perused any military use, which is very uncommon, usually military uses are sought for the funding

The military brass are Jeffery Toobin'n over Starlinks ability to deploy upgrades to prevent hacking instantly right now...something our military com systems apparently lack, but that is only observation and opinion, not in my need to know classification.

13 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

The military brass are Jeffery Toobin'n over Starlinks ability to deploy upgrades to prevent hacking instantly right now...something our military com systems apparently lack, but that is only observation and opinion, not in my need to know classification.

Then they may develop the same or similar software,  I can see possibly Starlink’s size also being an asset as small targets are harder to hit, but doubt they are hardened to military standards, although what that means satellite wise I have no idea.

The Auto’s as they can be very quickly updated without recalls and trips to the dealer are similar, and as they are connected they have shown just how inaccurate Government accident stats etc are.

But, near as I can tell other than launching Military Satellites, which I almost guarantee was in the NASA contract fine print, he’s not chased Military contracts.

Just an observation is all

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I've seen some of those statements.   As somebody who spent many decades in the wireless comm business, including secure comms, the statements I've seen say essentially nothing other than hype.   There's nothing special about Starlink when it comes to evading or immunity from jamming or providing secure comm.

I find it really disappointing that people so readily believe that the billions spent over the last fifty years on researching and implementing secure comms, both for commercial and military applications, yielded insufficient benefit to not be eclipsed by a low-bandwidth internet system intended for rural consumer use deployed by a salesman prone to hype and over promising.

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Yes, that's one of the stories that says basically nothing.   For all that guy seems to know there was a production bug in starlink, they fixed it with a new release and told him they fixed a jamming problem.   There's no info about even the top-level nature of the supposed jamming attack, etc., etc.   There's nothing there to indicate anything beyond PR.

Fixing actual competent jamming with a quick s/w update is a pipe dream.   Sounds more like a bug fix.

I’m thinking if he buys Twitter, he’s going to lose his arse.

Think about it, the people who like Twitter for its censorship will simply jump ship, and go over to the newest greatest Social whatever that only allows what they want to read just like Twitter, the new Twitter, call it Twatter I guess, and Elon is left holding nothing for all his billions.

What will he get for all his money, a URL?

First was Myspace or Facebook or what? I honestly don’t know as I’ve never done any of it, but Twitter wont be cool anymore so they’ll just leave to what’s cool now

Edited by A64Pilot

2 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m thinking if he buys Twitter, he’s going to lose his arse.

Think about it, the people who like Twitter for its censorship will simply jump ship, and go over to the newest greatest Social whatever that only allows what they want to read just like Twitter, the new Twitter, call it Twitter I guess, and Elon is left holding nothing for all his billions.

What will he get for all his money, a URL?

The news came in earlier today…  -a-

• The Twitter board on Monday agreed to a $44 billion buyout from Tesla CEO Elon Musk. But few additional details are known, leaving users and employees uncertain of what the future holds.