One Man J Lower Cowling Removal

Maybe this is old news....I'm not sure how most of you might do this - but, a few months ago I came up with this dead easy way to remove the lower cowling using 4 bungee chords and some soft foam support. I carry these in the plane just in case. Recently they were a life saver when I had to change a lower plug after the engine failed a mag test and forced an overnight. Saturday night, of course, so the airport was deserted on Sunday morning.  I was actually able to get to the lower plugs with the lower cowling just hanging off the bungee chords! The only caution is to be super careful not to put any pressure on the fuel injector lines!

Peter

Bungee Cowlin_02.jpg

Bungee Cowling.jpg

• Thanks 1

I just undo all the fasteners, but leave the top ones on both sides pushed in. I undo one side then duck under the prop while holding the bottom of the cowl with my right hand and undo the other side with my left hand. At 65 it isn’t as easy as it once was, but I still do it all the time. I put it on the same way. 

• Like 1

For removal I use two pieces of safety wire, one attached to each rear baffle corner and thru a fastener receptacle on each side with a few inches of slack such that it will drop down a few inches on each side. Detach each side and the stand in front of the prop while suspended by the wire, then snip each wire and guide it down. For installation it takes 3 pieces of safety wire. I use a longer piece of wire on each side and one around the prop hub attached to the front cowl screw holes. Just work it up a few inches at a time while taking up the slack with the 3 wires. 

45 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just undo all the fasteners, but leave the top ones on both sides pushed in. I undo one side then duck under the prop while holding the bottom of the cowl with my right hand and undo the other side with my left hand. At 65 it isn’t as easy as it once was, but I still do it all the time. I put it on the same way. 

Same here, but have to admit the bungee cord thing is a pretty good idea, I’ve tried the office chair I use as a work chair, but think the bungee cords are likely a better plan, less likely to fall of of bungee cords than a chair :) 

Whats the foam for ?

Edited by A64Pilot

I do essentially the same except I use two rubber tie down straps — one on each side. They’re stiffer than bungee cords and hold the cowl in position as I get all the camloc studs disengaged. Then I squat under the prop, remove the tie downs and lower the cowl. 

Skip

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

This is what I do as well.   Haven't had any trouble, but it does require a little bit of contortion and paying attention to things.    Having reasonably long arms helps.   I've even done it with the tow bar in place, but it's easier with it removed.

Lots of great ideas here!

What I like about the bungee chords: 1. Easy to carry around. 2. springy and flexible so that helps when raising the cowling up. 3. Numerous places to hook on when lowering the cowling. Nothing to cut like safety wire. 4. Very easy to attach to cowling after removing rubber coating from hooks.

The foam is just to keep the bottom of the cowling from getting scratched up...light weight so hardly counts weight wise in the baggage area.

• Like 2

All I can say is that many of you are going to a lot of trouble…if your in the hanger and you have a Harbour freight stool the  lower cowling easily comes on and off in 5 minutes …single person.

the stool costs less than $50 and is handy in the hanger

• Like 1

I use a camping chair that has the arm rests. I put a soft blanket over the chair to keep from scratching the cowl and slide the chair under the cowl. Undo all the fasteners and it rest in the seat part of the chair and the arms keep the cowl from rolling off left or right. Then i just slide the chair back with the cowl under the prop and it’s done. I’ll take a pic next time I’m changing my oil and need to drop the cowl.