Strobe replacement

flyboy0681

I'm looking for a recommendation for the replacement of the original strobes. What's the latest on LED's?

I replaced my strobes with Whelen’s (WAT) LEDs. Very nice units but pretty expensive. I would wait for Sun N Fun or Oshkosh to get the show discounts.

You’ll gain a little useful load since the strobe power packs weigh around a pound each. If you opt for the tail beacon, you will need to run a new power line so that you have both the steady white and white strobe on the tail operate with Nav and strobes respectively (I hadn’t connected mine up yet in this video from 5 years ago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Whelen Orions still seem to be the go-to replacements for the strobes.    I replaced mine in 2019 right after there was a price reduction at the time.   I wasn't sure how much longer my strobe power supplies were going to last.   They've been a nice upgrade.

15 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm looking for a recommendation for the replacement of the original strobes. What's the latest on LED's?

https://flywat.com/collections/whelen-wingtip-lights

Go with the OR650e if you have the modern, enclosed "LoPresti" style wingtip, or if you have the flat wingtip - the Orion 600, 650, or 660.  Exceptionally well-made stuff.

@OSUAV8TER James on here can help you spec out and order.

16 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

https://flywat.com/collections/whelen-wingtip-lights

Go with the OR650e if you have the modern, enclosed "LoPresti" style wingtip, or if you have the flat wingtip - the Orion 600, 650, or 660.  Exceptionally well-made stuff.

@OSUAV8TER James on here can help you spec out and order.

LoPresti style.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, flyboy0681 said:

@flyboy0681I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) dealer and I carry the Orion 650E and the 500 models, which are very popular for your Mooney. Shoot me an email at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com, call me at 1-833-425-5288, or check out my website at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

I'm following this thread so we can converse here too.

7c63667c257ed7a126b1b08ca7dc8652.thumb.jpg.41bc85c39279b5e89d1f3dc53206a92e.jpgOrion500.jpg.284bfbd1d70258faf38ca303c6f8b86c.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

@flyboy0681I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) dealer and I carry the Orion 650E and the 500 models, which are very popular for your Mooney. Shoot me an email at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com, call me at 1-833-425-5288, or check out my website at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

I'm following this thread so we can converse here too.

7c63667c257ed7a126b1b08ca7dc8652.thumb.jpg.41bc85c39279b5e89d1f3dc53206a92e.jpgOrion500.jpg.284bfbd1d70258faf38ca303c6f8b86c.jpg

Based on feedback from others, the 650E is the way to go. At this point I'm waiting to see if there will be any deals at Sun 'n Fun, unless you want to make me an offer I can't refuse. If so, PM me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Based on feedback from others, the 650E is the way to go. At this point I'm waiting to see if there will be any deals at Sun 'n Fun, unless you want to make me an offer I can't refuse. If so, PM me.

Unfortunately I will not be at Sun 'n Fun this year because our second child is due on March 25th and I don't know what kind of promotion WAT will be running, if any, until very close to the show. So whatever you find there, I will beat it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

James, can we recommend names for the second born?

:)

AL if he is a boy… ART if she is a girl….

Mooney names from the beginning… 

Thanks for the great customer support!

PP attempt at humor only…

Best regards,

-a-

We're accepting recommendations for boy and girl names because we're not sure of the sex.

We felt that there were few real genuinely good surprises as an adult so finding out the sex of your child at birth is a good one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

We're accepting recommendations for boy and girl names because we're not sure of the sex.

We felt that there were few real genuinely good surprises as an adult so finding out the sex of your child at birth is a good one. 

Considering the morbidity and mortality associated with gender reveal parties that seems like a wise choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We carefully weighed all of the old strobe/nav removed components versus the new LEDs. The weight savings and gain in useful load was 6 pounds, yes you read that correctly. I thought it would be a couple of pounds at best. Plus the new lights simply look cool.

https://aeroleds.com/products/pulsar-ns-certified-navigation-lights/
these are also a good option.  I have them on my F model - installed in 2014 by previous owner.  They work well and I had good support from the company.  They’ve been reliable, but my tail light was dead when I bought the airplane.  Called them and they sent me a new one no questions asked.  A month later, one of the wingtip lights got water inside (but still worked) and they sent me a new one of those too.  Since then they’ve been perfect.  With proper coverage, you can have strobes on the wingtips and a steady white tail light, and eliminate the beacon.

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

Friend went through hell getting some LEDs sorted.  EE friend of his theorized that the lamp has a buck/boost circuit and, if the input voltage isn't what it's looking for, the buck/boost makes noise.

Most LEDs these days are driven with switching power supplies that are often built into the device, so, yes, they're a potential source of noise, but the since the current levels are generally low it's usually not an issue.    Any diode is a potential noise source, though.    They're non-linear devices so can do nasty things if not driven carefully.

That said, I'd expect less potential noise from modern LED systems than strobes or other high-current devices.

• Thanks 1