Football Sunday Northeast Mooney Fly In

201er

I'm excited to announce to you the first Mooney Fly in of 2012 of the New Jersey Mooney Pilots group:

NJ Mooney Pilots Group Fly In for Sunday January 8 from 12PM~4PM:

Date: Sunday January 8, 2012
Time: 12PM~4PM EST (1700-2100Z)
Game: Giants vs Falcons
Aircraft: Any (Mooneys Preferred)
Friends: Bring all you want but appreciate knowing number attending in advance
RSVP: ASAP

Please invite all your pilot and non-pilot friends. We'll let this fly in be more about friendship and the game rather than technical Mooneyship (we can always talk about that at another date) so people of all planes and backgrounds are invited. I'd like to get a ballpark of the number of people coming though to request a special table so please pass me all details as soon as possible.

If you own or fly a Mooney in the north east and want to get on our email list, please PM me your email for an invite or request to join from this link.

Quote: Bnicolette

I'll also be early in and out by 2:30.  Have to take a friend back to Annapolis (leaving his plane for the prop shop @ Lancaster) then on to home before night fall.  No night flight over the mountains for this pilot.

You early in early out guys are welcome to come as early as 11AM and just spend a bit more time out at the planes. I made the table reservation for 12:45 cause the game only starts at 1. The 11-12:45 time is more for hangar talk and getting to know each other. I gotta figure out who's coming with me cause that might slow me down. But if I end up coming solo, I'll probably get there by 11AM.

Today we had an outstanding fly in at Lancaster Airport. This is the largest turnout NJMP has had and largest fly-in I have participated in. We've had guys come from as far as western PA, Long Island, and Maryland. All Mooneys attending were J/K models (some with conversions). No early models or long bodies were present. We had 8 Mooneys fly in for this meet and 1 Cherokee. I have a feeling that Cherokee is going to end up on Trade-A-Plane first thing tomorrow morning after this!

I got to Linden extra early but started my flight with a short hop to Central Jersey to get cheap gas. I didn't want to have to be worrying about that on the way back. From Central Jersey, I proceeded IFR to Lancaster. At 6000ft the ride was smooth as silk and most of the clouds were below me. I had a momentary encounter with clouds as I descended but that was the extent of IMC I experienced for the day. I got to Lancaster by 11:30 and was surprised that many of the guys had already arrived.

I spotted at least 6 other Mooneys that were not there for our fly in. It sure was raining Mooneys on Lancaster today. Adam from Mooneyspace chose to come to Lancaster cause we were there but was on his way out just as we were arriving. Aras came to our fly in while dropping off his Cherokee for prop balancing. Jim showed up briefly and we marveled at his LED landing light installation and checked out Dick's Monroy ATD that saved his life.

Patrick came first and foremost to watch the Giants pulverize the Falcons. He is in the process of meticulously upgrading his 1995 M20J. In fact he's flying out to Don Maxwell's tomorrow and then continuing to California for interior work. Seth, who I first met at the Midatlantic Mooney Fly In at Frederick, brought in his Missile and compared it to Joe's Rocket conversion. Joe stunned everyone with his engine out and 4 bladed prop stories as usual.

We had 8 seats at the table and 10 attendees. But people were coming and going so at no point were we too crowded. We discussed the usual Mooneyspace topics and shared personal stories you can't hear anywhere else. All in all the fly in was an outstanding success. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to doing this again some time.

Here's a few video clips (unfortunately I didn't get to take any video/pictures of the guys cause we were so busy conversing and checking out each other's planes, all the more reason for next time):

If you're based in NJ or surrounding states and would like to be on our email list for future fly ins, you can request to join our NJMP yahoo group. It's not restricted to New Jersey but most of our fly ins are in or near NJ so you'd have to be able/willing to make it there. So please join us for one of our future fly ins.

post-11991-13468140781521_thumb.jpg

post-11991-13468140781877_thumb.jpg

post-11991-13468140784227_thumb.jpg

post-11991-13468140784668_thumb.jpg

post-11991-13468140785088_thumb.jpg

It was great meeting everyone and amazing to see so many Mooneys on the flight line.  I'm sure it doesn't compare at all to the MAPA conventions, but it was still great to see so many Mooneys.  Sorry I missed those who left early, but thank you for your chair at the table!

Mike - thank you for setting this up and I look forward to future events.  We'll make sure to try to combine the NJ and Mid-Atlantic fly-ins as much as possible.

Take care,

-Seth

P.S.  I was planning to wear my Redskins jersey, but didn't grab it on my way out the door.