Formation flying

xcrmckenna

When my 201 is repaired and I move on from her I will be seriously looking for a FIKI Acclaim. I’m curious if anyone flies much formation with their acclaim? I do a lot of formation flying and I’m a caravan member. Will she handle a lot like a Bravo with even more power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

When my 201 is repaired and I move on from her I will be seriously looking for a FIKI Acclaim. I’m curious if anyone flies much formation with their acclaim? I do a lot of formation flying and I’m a caravan member. Will she handle a lot like a Bravo with even more power?

I haven't done formation flying, but I have owned Bravos and now an Acclaim. The Acclaim has 10 more hp than the Bravo (280 vs 270) and does feel faster on take-off roll. I think the S Type prop has a lot to do with that. In cruise and slow flight they handle very similarly. I will say though that the Acclaim seems easier to land. When power is pulled back you don't float nearly as much. You noticeably drop, so you have to get used to that, but I like that response. Even if you come in a little high I find it easier to salvage a decent landing in the Acclaim. 

• Like 2

I haven't done formation flying, but I have owned Bravos and now an Acclaim. The Acclaim has 10 more hp than the Bravo (280 vs 270) and does feel faster on take-off roll. I think the S Type prop has a lot to do with that. In cruise and slow flight they handle very similarly. I will say though that the Acclaim seems easier to land. When power is pulled back you don't float nearly as much. You noticeably drop, so you have to get used to that, but I like that response. Even if you come in a little high I find it easier to salvage a decent landing in the Acclaim. 

Nice, I didn’t realize you upgraded to the acclaim. Any idea why it seems to float less than the bravo? Are you happy with the change in planes?

13 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Nice, I didn’t realize you upgraded to the acclaim. Any idea why it seems to float less than the bravo? Are you happy with the change in planes?

Perfect example of why transition training is still a good idea when you change models even if you have a lot of Mooney time.  When I pulled back power on the Bravo it still floated a lot. When you pull back power on the Acclaim you drop like a rock . . lol. My first landing in the Acclaim as I turned final I said I am way too high. I pulled back some power and and a few seconds later I was like wow I am definitely not too high. I think the faster take-off and the losing a lot of altitude quickly when you pull back power has a lot to do with this prop. If Hartzell made this prop for the Bravo, which they have talked about doing, I think it would be a huge improvement.

I was pleased with the Bravo, really no complaints, but I really enjoy the Acclaim. My last Bravo was a '93 and this is an '08 so there are a lot of airframe and interior upgrades that happened during that time. I would say one of the best advantages is that it is very smooth running lean of peak which I could never get the Bravo to do. Also the G1000 is growing on me and the GFC700 is outstanding, it's the best autopilot I've ever used.

• Like 2

Perfect example of why transition training is still a good idea when you change models even if you have a lot of Mooney time.  When I pulled back power on the Bravo it still floated a lot. When you pull back power on the Acclaim you drop like a rock . . lol. My first landing in the Acclaim as I turned final I said I am way too high. I pulled back some power and and a few seconds later I was like wow I am definitely not too high. I think the faster take-off and the losing a lot of altitude quickly when you pull back power has a lot to do with this prop. If Hartzell made this prop for the Bravo, which they have talked about doing, I think it would be a huge improvement.
I was pleased with the Bravo, really no complaints, but I really enjoy the Acclaim. My last Bravo was a '93 and this is an '08 so there are a lot of airframe and interior upgrades that happened during that time. I would say one of the best advantages is that it is very smooth running lean of peak which I could never get the Bravo to do. Also the G1000 is growing on me and the GFC700 is outstanding, it's the best autopilot I've ever used.

I really like hearing you can run the acclaim LOP. I always planned on putting the MT four blade prop when I was looking for bravos.

Wish we were closer, I would love to check out your new plane.

9 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I really like hearing you can run the acclaim LOP. I always planned on putting the MT four blade prop when I was looking for bravos.

Wish we were closer, I would love to check out your new plane.

If you're ever in TX let me know. In the meantime this tells you a little bit about it: 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

If Hartzell made this prop for the Bravo, which they have talked about doing, I think it would be a huge improvement.

Look for the Hartzell Acclaim prop for the Bravo in the next few months... I should be getting mine in the next month or two....  More to follow soon. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, daytonabch04 said:

Look for the Hartzell Acclaim prop for the Bravo in the next few months... I should be getting mine in the next month or two....  More to follow soon. 

I hope they come through this time. They have been promising that for the Bravo for many years now. It will be a big improvement.

8 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I hope they come through this time. They have been promising that for the Bravo for many years now. It will be a big improvement.

My Bravo was used as the testing platform last year.  Haven't seen final results yet but they should be in the STC process now. 

• Like 2

Charles,

Go Acclaim!

:)

The challenge for formation flying…

Is the everyday control of power…

With a 310hp Acclaim… you will have more power at hand…

Typical cruise speed during formation… everyone is using less than full power…. They use a set IAS that is easy to achieve with all Mooneys…

With rotating MP knobs… it is easy to dial in or out the amount of power you want to adjust… digital MP gauges may help a bit as well…

:)

PP thoughts only, not formation qualified…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 11:29 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Here are some reasons: https://hartzellprop.com/why-choose-a-scimitar-propeller/

If you google SCIMITAR TOP PROP you'll get some more info.

I found the article rather underwhelming: “Our advanced swept-tip scimitar prop design, in combination with our blended airfoil technology, can provide significant reductions in noise and increased performance, not to mention improved aesthetics.”

16 minutes ago, rbp said:

I found the article rather underwhelming: “Our advanced swept-tip scimitar prop design, in combination with our blended airfoil technology, can provide significant reductions in noise and increased performance, not to mention improved aesthetics.”

It's more that it looks cooler and the hub can be regreased.  

• Like 1

Charles,
Go Acclaim!

The challenge for formation flying…
Is the everyday control of power…
With a 310hp Acclaim… you will have more power at hand…
Typical cruise speed during formation… everyone is using less than full power…. They use a set IAS that is easy to achieve with all Mooneys…
With rotating MP knobs… it is easy to dial in or out the amount of power you want to adjust… digital MP gauges may help a bit as well…

PP thoughts only, not formation qualified…
Best regards,
-a-

The power is definitely a great selling point. I prefer the quadrant of my 77’ J for formation flying. I was able to rest my hand on the small console but it’s worth getting used to the knobs when I have 310hp:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbp said:

Although there are a few small aerodynamic improvements on the airframe from the Bravo to the Acclaim, the biggest reason the Acclaim is faster is the prop. The climb performance difference and the cruise performance difference is not underwhelming.