Tipping at FBOs

201er

I was wondering if others tip the staff at FBOs? And if so for which services and how much. Sometimes I feel like they are outright expecting it and other times are surprised to receive a tip. I always leave a tip when they give me a ride some place in their crew car cause I figure it's still a heck of a lot cheaper and more convenient than a taxi.

• Like 1

MIke, I have made it a practice when I land to let them top off my tanks and also if the lineman are helpful and nice I will tip them$5-$10 .Especially if it is a place where I fly frequently. They always seem happy to see you and you get great service.Just a way of letting them know they are appreciated.

• Like 1

Mike,

I don't 'tip' as such but I will frequently give the guy at the desk $5 or $10 "For your coffee and donut fund" at the smaller airports when I use a crew car. One time a lady in NM gave me her personal truck to go for lunch. I put $20 gas in the truck.

A few weeks ago I dropped off a friend at Deer Valley, North of Phoenix. The FBO has a landing or handling fee (waived with very expensive fuel purchase) PLUS a $20 'passenger drop off fee'. I didn't use a crew car, get coffee, or even use the rest room. I thanked them when I left and was happy to be leaving. 

Some airports and FBOs I happily buy the expensive fuel to thank them for the service we receive even when they do not have a minimum fuel purchase. Other times the total fees seem really excessive and I don't see the service worth the expense. $20 bucks to drop off a passenger is enough to keep me away from that FBO and probably away from the airport. The day before Deer Valley I paid handling and parking at SNA, bought expensive fuel, got dropped off at a hotel where they had a corporate discount, used the FBO for briefing in the morning, and had a cup of coffee and a free cookie.  I felt the costs were very much in line with the service provided, especially considering the location. I was very satisfied with the service and costs.  However, I did not tip them. Big FBO, sufficient although fair charges, and excellent service. It's the smaller airports with low fuel costs and no extra charges where I like to leave 'coffee and donut' money.

Jim

I top off before leaving the home airport and give the lineman $2 which is usually about 5-10 times a month.  When I travel and use a crew car I always top off at the destination and if the crew car needs gas I will add some.  If a lineman gives me a ride to town somewhere I give them $10.  I figure $150 worth of gas is pretty good for them.

I will tip according to the service I've received. Generally when I'm getting any type of line support it's because my wife and I have flown to some destination, so we have bags and things to help unload. If the linemen are helpful and friendly, I'll generally tip up to $10.  At KRDU/TAC Air in November, our line guy had helped us unload and then he took the rental car to the return area himself. We had loaded up the plane and were getting ready to start up when my wife remembered that she'd left the portable GPS in the glove box. We tracked down the line guy who happily went and got the car back so we could get our GPS unit...which of course earned him a full $20.

For prompt refueling, I don't mind tipping $5. If the car is brought to the plane, helping with unloading luggage, etc, I'll give upwards of $10. One time a line guy stayed after hours to refuel us, clean the windshield, unload luggage, call a taxi, and wait until the taxi came before leaving. He got $30. Another time, the line guy refueled us then drove us to a hotel, and picked us up the next morning. He got $30.

I don't want to penalize the line guy/gal for the FBO policies (high tie-down fees, fuel, etc). If the line personnel are responsive, courteous and helpful, I will reward for that.

Ok, here's another question. Is there any expectation/obligation to tip FBO personnel (link at a restaurant)? And in which circumstances? I really don't know what to think cause sometimes they are shocked like it's the first time they'd ever received a tip while others look like they're standing around expecting it. So I could never tell how customary/mandatory it is.

Personally I've never tipped for refueling cause I feel like that's included in the exorbitant prices for full service. I would more than gladly fill the tanks myself not just to save the money but also make sure it's done right. On the other hand when they bring a car up on the ramp or give me a ride into town, I feel like they are going beyond expected/minimal service.

If they do something extra for me, I don't have a problem tipping. Bring the golf cart out to haul luggage in? Ride me back to the plane? That's worth a couple dollars. Once at AVL, the lineman towed my plane near the building and loaned me a long extension cord to plug in the oil pan heater after it wouldn't crank. An hour later, she fired up just fine. He earned the $10 tip! I now carry my own lightweight, outdoor extension cord when I travel during cold weather, and try to park where I can plug in prior to loading.

One of the airports i visit often has a mandatory tipping feature. They now charge a $10.00 service fee if you visit without taking service. They also just doubled parking fees to $780.00 for annual parking for a vechile.  And they bought out Atlantic Aviation FBO and closed the facility and are now the only FBO on the field.  To get acess to your vechile you must ask for a ride up to the old Atlantic facility a 1/2 mile away , and ask for a ride back.  This is a locally owned FBO that purchaced a national chain FBO and then began to charge at will.   5 other local pilots including myself had vechiles parked at the former Atlantic Aviation facility since 2003, we were never charged a $10.00 fee and parking  was $365.00 per year. I know fees are showing up everywhere, But this just discouraged a lot of pilots who love to visit this area. So if you stop at KBTV and just say hi, have your $10.00 tip/service fee ready.  Out of curiosity is this common where some of you visit?

I've only paid ramp fees at larger airports [Class C, mostly], waived with enough fuel at a high price. There's no fee to park in the gravel at home, kindly upkept by the county since it is used as a school bus turn-around spot. At least they add gravel to the part the bus swings around in; maybe someone will grade out the potholes one year.

Quote: JimR

Am I the only one who just wants to be left alone?  From very personal experience, I don't trust anyone else to tie my plane down properly, and I can carry my own bags and pump my own fuel, thank you very much.

End quasi rant. Sorry, I feel better. :)

Jim

I have flown to RDU (Raleigh NC) on several business and personal trips. Sometimes I use the "crew car" and mostly not.  When I do get good sevice or when they opt to not charge me the "landing fee".  I call the local pizza place and order 2 larges for lunch the next day to be delivered at 1145.  I have them mark the boxes with my N number. The next time I get there--- red carpet treatment.   Well worth the $20.

BILL