New Hangar Announcement

WAFI

Well I got lucky faster than I thought, I got a T-Hanger yesterday and tucked the Mooney in for the first time. If your not from South Florida, hangars are like gold down here. Not sure how I got one so fast. 

Well guys… what do I need and when does the hanger elf show up? I have a plenty of things on the work list.

Started with my parts department inventory today- 

• New set of Goodyear Tire & Tubes
  • Brake Discs & Pads
  • Oil, Filters

What am I missing? 

Any essential tools?

I have and a plethora of tools, air compressor and parts cleaner I need to move over from my storage unit. 

B413E7D8-4382-4275-A664-54BD14EF4CF6.jpeg

F5B54B59-DDFD-4F67-8D46-B110C0A62798.jpeg

D06EE2D8-7EAD-4EE1-BB51-D0D1E7071070.jpeg

• Like 3

Having your bird tucked away out of most the elements is the only way to go in my opinion. As far as Tools, kinda depends on how much you plan on doing… being mechanically inclined I tend to have more than most, but hey I get to be the hero when I loan them…lol

congrats on getting a hangar… your plane will thank you in the long run

You'll figure out what you need and don't need as you go along.   Cleaning supplies are used fairly frequently, basic hand tools, etc.

And SUPER SCORE on your tail number.   When I was looking for an airplane I was actually hoping I'd run across something like that.  ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WAFI said:

Well I got lucky faster than I thought, I got a T-Hanger yesterday and tucked the Mooney in for the first time. If your not from South Florida, hangars are like gold down here. Not sure how I got one so fast. 

Well guys… what do I need and when does the hanger elf show up? I have a plenty of things on the work list.

Started with my parts department inventory today- 

• New set of Goodyear Tire & Tubes
  • Brake Discs & Pads
  • Oil, Filters

What am I missing? 

Any essential tools?

I have and a plethora of tools, air compressor and parts cleaner I need to move over from my storage unit. 

B413E7D8-4382-4275-A664-54BD14EF4CF6.jpeg

F5B54B59-DDFD-4F67-8D46-B110C0A62798.jpeg

D06EE2D8-7EAD-4EE1-BB51-D0D1E7071070.jpeg

1/4 and 3/8” socket sets. A few different kind of ratchets, also, a set of stubby wrenches and long beam wrenches from 1/4-1”. Safety wire pliers, safety wire, Dykes, quite a few different kinds of needle nose pliers. A box of cotter pins a box of lockwashers I harbor freight wide jaw adjustable wrench. 

• Like 1

There are lists around here and pics to go with them…

Often discussed…

Tail weights, jacks, mouse traps….

Towing mechanisms, cleaners and polishes…..

Floor coverings, creepers, and sofas…

refrigerators, dehumidifiers and chillers or heaters…

and that engine preheating cell switch from OSU….

:)

-a-

• Like 1

My goal will be to have my own mini Mooney Service Center out of my hanger. At least enough stuff to do an annual. 

I’m looking for any specialty tools or hard to fine parts I might need to start searching for the long run. 

I have about every hand tool Snap-On makes from back when i turned wrenches in the marine industry. 

I’ve seen a couple Mooney specific tools on this forum for sale. One was for checking landing tension i think. Not sure if i should try to find one of those? Not that I’m going to attempt to do it myself but I would like to have one on hand for an A&P. 

Get an engine hoist as opposed to a tail weight, safer in my opinion and more useful, they fold flat and go against the wall.

Also get a good solid work bench to go behind the airplane, one that you can put a good vice on and a small drill press, put a good light right over the table, the bigger the better 

Then if you have power, go get a dehumidifier, a 50 pint is plenty big enough, and this Summer get a portable airconditioner. I know it’s not insulated but your trying to keep the humidity down, and it’s not nearly as hard as you may think.

Right now it’s 95% RH where I live, but my hangers RH is 56%, because I have a 50 pint dehumidifier running, keeping the RH below 65% is key to preventing corrosion, besides the dehumidifier keeps it surprisingly warmer then you would expect.

I believe the landing gear tension tool is for manual gear?

Start looking to score a set of used Meyers jacks, but be prepared to pay even used ones aren’t cheap, if you find some and don’t want them I’d appreciate a heads up, I’d like to have a pair myself.

Oh, and on edit, an old recliner and refrigerator and stereo are all nice to haves as well

163BD840-7233-4FF4-8FDC-2CD1D4436DAD.png

F8EEFBAC-BFEE-425D-9583-396BCA6D13D8.png

Edited by A64Pilot

I have a low power rechargeable screwdriver with new high quality Phillips head bits.  Break the lose by hand but if you remove all of the screws for the wing inspection panels and all the screws on the belly panels by hand you will require physical therapy for the repetitive strain injury.

And don’t forget the refrigerator to keep your favorite beverage cold. I have a victory beverage after every flight. 

• Like 1

You'll need a complete supply of AN hardware, nuts, screws, camlocs, nutplates, rivnuts, etc.  You can't buy the exact right stuff at Home Depot and you don't want to wait on finishing a repair to order a single fastener from Spruce.

You'll want some amount of tefzel aviation-rated wire, as well as connectors.

You'll also need aviation lubricants and fluids, such as 5606 Hydraulic fluid.

11 minutes ago, larryb said:

You'll need a complete supply of AN hardware, nuts, screws, camlocs, nutplates, rivnuts, etc.  You can't buy the exact right stuff at Home Depot and you don't want to wait on finishing a repair to order a single fastener from Spruce.

One of my first and best purchases for the airplane was the screw kit from aircraft spruce.   

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/exterwasherkit.php

11 minutes ago, larryb said:

You'll want some amount of tefzel aviation-rated wire, as well as connectors.

You'll also need aviation lubricants and fluids, such as 5606 Hydraulic fluid.

I'm leaning toward the synthetic hydraulic fluid these days, assuming it doesn't turn to goo like 5606 does.

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

A small pancake air compressor is handy, too. Hard to add a few pounds when weather gets cold if you don't have one and nobody is around . . . .

These little dudes are good bang for the buck.  It won't run air tools but it fills tires just fine, will blow dirt out of areas when needed, and will run a compression tester just fine.   I haven't needed anything else in the hangar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

The OP mentioned having an air compressor. But since we are talking about them, I like these. Both are a lot quieter than standard cheap pancake compressors. The "Quiet Series" one is especially quiet. The MAC700 is pretty quiet but delivers more air. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Quiet-Series-2-Gal-1-HP-Oil-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-MAC210Q/312309203

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VK0/ref=asc_df_B0001Q2VK0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198077680239&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2441842321819088763&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032732&hvtargid=pla-383959037690&th=1

My suggestion is a large slow turning fan. I have an old shop fan that moves a lot of air but doesn’t blow you over and doesn’t make a lot of noise so you can hear the radio over the fan. Other supplies as you need them and just buy a few extra and soon you will have all kinds of supplies you didn’t know you need ;-)

12 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

Get an engine hoist as opposed to a tail weight, safer in my opinion and more useful, they fold flat and go against the wall.

Also get a good solid work bench to go behind the airplane, one that you can put a good vice on and a small drill press, put a good light right over the table, the bigger the better 

Then if you have power, go get a dehumidifier, a 50 pint is plenty big enough, and this Summer get a portable airconditioner. I know it’s not insulated but your trying to keep the humidity down, and it’s not nearly as hard as you may think.

Right now it’s 95% RH where I live, but my hangers RH is 56%, because I have a 50 pint dehumidifier running, keeping the RH below 65% is key to preventing corrosion, besides the dehumidifier keeps it surprisingly warmer then you would expect.

I believe the landing gear tension tool is for manual gear?

Start looking to score a set of used Meyers jacks, but be prepared to pay even used ones aren’t cheap, if you find some and don’t want them I’d appreciate a heads up, I’d like to have a pair myself.

Oh, and on edit, an old recliner and refrigerator and stereo are all nice to haves as well

163BD840-7233-4FF4-8FDC-2CD1D4436DAD.png

F8EEFBAC-BFEE-425D-9583-396BCA6D13D8.png

All that dehumidifying equipment? I am based down in South Florida and have none of that and the plane has no corrosion to speak of. Even after the wing was removed for a major repair, no corrosion was found. I also know at least a dozen neighbors and not one of them has any kind of dehumidifying gear.

I agree on the workbench and refridge however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

All that dehumidifying equipment? I am based down in South Florida and have none of that and the plane has no corrosion to speak of. Even after the wing was removed for a major repair, no corrosion was found. I also know at least a dozen neighbors and not one of them has any kind of dehumidifying gear.

I agree on the workbench and refridge however.

Look at the pic below, why do you think the red areas are red? 

04550DAD-7413-4C20-9616-08B3A4D6AC66.png

Well, the hanger elf came in clutch today.

He managed to get the missing piece to the the other shelf, change out the Concorde battery and some how grease all 27 zerk fittings.

FYI- I’ve got a compressor all ready. LOL!!!

I not sold on a dehumidifier in south Florida, sorry. I work on a super yacht and live on my 53’ Hatteras. I am very familiar about corrosion. 

I do appreciate all the comments!!! 

8C446AD3-F0B6-4736-9DD4-E076C56BC9C1.jpeg

EF06BFDD-1436-44E1-992C-2B526C749165.jpeg

Look at the pic below, why do you think the red areas are red? 
04550DAD-7413-4C20-9616-08B3A4D6AC66.thumb.png.29feca5ec5b4ab6810a90f644a57691a.png

I have my old cam shaft sitting on the floor for past 4 years, no corrosion except where dust/dirt collected. I think dirt (and that includes dirty oil) causes corrosion because it mixes water and other chemicals and keeps them in direct contact. Humidity alone doesn’t cause corrosion.

No, humidity alone doesn’t cause corrosion, but it’s a link in the chain.

Remove any of the links and the chain is broken. Humidity is an easy link to remove, and if the power is free, it’s really cheap and easy to do. If you have to buy the power, it’s still less than about $100 a month, or that’s about what it’s costing me for my 3,000 sq ft hangar, a T hanger ought to be even less.

Ref the Hat, I bet it’s in a Marina and therefore is heated and Airconditioned, if you lived on the hook you may see something different.

But as with everything, you guys can of course continue to believe that Fl isn’t a place of higher than normal corrosion for aircraft.

3 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

No, humidity alone doesn’t cause corrosion, but it’s a link in the chain.

Remove any of the links and the chain is broken. Humidity is an easy link to remove, and if the power is free, it’s really cheap and easy to do. If you have to buy the power, it’s still less than about $100 a month, or that’s about what it’s costing me for my 3,000 sq ft hangar, a T hanger ought to be even less.

Ref the Hat, I bet it’s in a Marina and therefore is heated and Airconditioned, if you lived on the hook you may see something different.

But as with everything, you guys can of course continue to believe that Fl isn’t a place of higher than normal corrosion for aircraft.

Slight miscommunication, I don't disagree with you regard humidity is a factor regarding corrosion and South Florida is the worst for it. What I'm saying is there is no way in my hanger a dehumidifier will help the humidity level do to the construction of the T-hanger. You can almost feel the breeze from the inside. It just has too many free flowing air voids. Where as the larger hangers across from me that are setup for A/C and some are even insulated, would probably benefit from a dehumidifier.

My best option would be to place one inside the aircraft but that poses other issues form me. 

1 hour ago, WAFI said:

Slight miscommunication, I don't disagree with you regard humidity is a factor regarding corrosion and South Florida is the worst for it. What I'm saying is there is no way in my hanger a dehumidifier will help the humidity level do to the construction of the T-hanger. You can almost feel the breeze from the inside. It just has too many free flowing air voids. Where as the larger hangers across from me that are setup for A/C and some are even insulated, would probably benefit from a dehumidifier.

My best option would be to place one inside the aircraft but that poses other issues form me. 

You can set up a little peltier dehumidifier in the cabin.  Doesn't help with the rest of the plane, obviously, you have to empty the container every couple weeks, and it freezes in cold weather, but it's easy and cheap.

I bought a six-pack of 4' LED shop lights off Amazon for $90 bucks.   My hangar is lit up real well.   I also like to have a hallway rug from the step running along the right-hand side to help wipe feet before getting in the aircraft.   A drop light and good floor light too for working underneath.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

You can set up a little peltier dehumidifier in the cabin.  Doesn't help with the rest of the plane, obviously, you have to empty the container every couple weeks, and it freezes in cold weather, but it's easy and cheap.

@WAFI is in "South Florida', where temps lower near freezing once or twice every few years. I doubt water would freeze inside his hangar . . .

• Haha 2