Problem with EDM 900

Greg Ellis

I am having an issue with my JPI EDM 900 engine monitor.  When I try to put it in normalize view, nothing happens.  It says NRM on the bottom of the screen but nothing changes with the bar graph.  The EGT's do not seem to normalize in the midpoint like the manual says.  They still look the same as in standard view with the top of the EGT bars being the temperature.  I have tried to explain this to JPI but they now want a video of what is happening.  I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or it is my monitor but it has never been able to do this since installed.  Any ideas?  I am doing what the manual says, press and hold LF for three seconds.  The icon NRM comes on the screen.  I make no power changes per the manual but the bars look like they did in standard view.  Do any of you have a photo of a EDM in normalize view?

Thanks.

A little fuzzy because I had to zoom in, but here you go. When it goes into normalize mode it should level all the EGT's and CHT's in the middle, it also makes them much more sensitive. When you do your run-up, get it stabilized at 1700rpm and switch to normalize mode for the mag check, it makes it very easy to see what is going on with the cylinders. Exit normalize mode after the run up. Once in cruise and leaned out put it in normalize mode and you will quickly see any changes if there is something going on with one of the cylinders. Just remember that if you make any power changes or altitude changes (typically your descent) that you need to exit normalize mode or things start looking odd...

image.png.db6048bdf091f9bc22722dc16adb1bee.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

A little fuzzy because I had to zoom in, but here you go. When it goes into normalize mode it should level all the EGT's and CHT's in the middle, it also makes them much more sensitive. When you do your run-up, get it stabilized at 1700rpm and switch to normalize mode for the mag check, it makes it very easy to see what is going on with the cylinders. Exit normalize mode after the run up. Once in cruise and leaned out put it in normalize mode and you will quickly see any changes if there is something going on with one of the cylinders. Just remember that if you make any power changes or altitude changes (typically your descent) that you need to exit normalize mode or things start looking odd...

image.png.db6048bdf091f9bc22722dc16adb1bee.png

Thanks for the photo.  So with mine, when I press LF for 3 seconds it says NRM at the bottom but the bar graphs stay in standard mode.  They do not do what yours are doing in this photo.  So I think it may be an issue with my EDM 900 but I cannot get the guys at JPI to understand what is happening.  They now want a video of the EDM in my airplane.

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

Thanks for the photo.  So with mine, when I press LF for 3 seconds it says NRM at the bottom but the bar graphs stay in standard mode.  They do not do what yours are doing in this photo.  So I think it may be an issue with my EDM 900 but I cannot get the guys at JPI to understand what is happening.  They now want a video of the EDM in my airplane.

Sounds like something is wrong with it, they should all line up right across the middle. You can do it with it just at idle on the ground, even at idle they should all jump right up to the middle. That will make it easy to do the video.

10 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Sounds like something is wrong with it, they should all line up right across the middle. You can do it with it just at idle on the ground, even at idle they should all jump right up to the middle. That will make it easy to do the video.

Thanks.  It never did work since install.  I never really paid attention to it until recently when I heard people speak about using it for runups and in cruise flight.

11 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

so is that how you get Normal mode to toggle?  you hold LF?

Press and hold LF to enter normalize mode. Press LF and then wait a couple seconds and you will see "EXIT" next to the button above/right of LF depending on if you are in portrait or landscape mode, press it to exit normalize mode.

45 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Press and hold LF to enter normalize mode. Press LF and then wait a couple seconds and you will see "EXIT" next to the button above/right of LF depending on if you are in portrait or landscape mode, press it to exit normalize mode.

FWIW, that is true for the 700/730/830 series as well (although you just long-press LF again to exit)

There is also a mode that shows graphs in an icicle presentation…. For some reason….

See if you can get the offending monitor to toggle to that presentation as well…

The normalize mode may be difficult to recognize it actually working… since our cylinders all work perfectly In harmony….   :)

In the icicle mode the bars are running upside down…. And present differently…. In an obvious manner.

Pp guesses at best… it’s been a while since I experimented with that….

Best regards,

-a-

On 2/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, Skates97 said:

A little fuzzy because I had to zoom in, but here you go. When it goes into normalize mode it should level all the EGT's and CHT's in the middle,

mine is in portrait mode like yours and when hit LF to normalize it only did the EGTs.....CHTs were still all over the place

3 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Just got off phone with tech support. Normalize mode should only level the EGTs. 

Interesting, I'm almost positive it levels both of them on my 900. Maybe I am remembering wrong. I will have to do a video of it in the run-up when I go fly Saturday, it will be obvious then. But this picture is a little earlier in the flight from above, I had hit normalize but then was messing with the mixture so you can see the EGT's are not level across, but the CHT's are level even though they are 328, 340, 340, 356.

image.png.fe47cc670beb8263e3b4817037379877.png

Different flight, but for comparison purposes this is not normalize mode and you can see where the CHT's are at on the bar graph. The CHT's are within a few degrees of the flight above yet are in a much lower spot on the graph.

image.png.1241fed490c09985ffea8cc3f06059df.png

I would have sworn that mine normalizes EGT and CHT both right across the middle like @Skates97's photo, but the pilot guide does say only EGT is normalized. And in this video example, it looks like CHT is not normalized. It's possible they changed the software at some point. I'll try to remember to get a video clip of mine next time she runs.

3 hours ago, mhrivnak said:

I would have sworn that mine normalizes EGT and CHT both right across the middle like @Skates97's photo, but the pilot guide does say only EGT is normalized. And in this video example, it looks like CHT is not normalized. It's possible they changed the software at some point. I'll try to remember to get a video clip of mine next time she runs.

I'll get a video on Saturday and also check to see what software version I am running. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

the normalize mode was first intended for the run-up to better see a rise in each cyl EGT; hence the desire to even out all the EGTs to look for a rise (good) or a drop (cold cylinder).
The function turns out to be also very valuable in cruise, setting normalize mode after the engine has been set to cruise power and fully leaned. It’ll highlight any missing in cruise or any mixture anomaly like a partially blocked injector before you see a significant change in CHT.
But throughout, absolute CHT numbers are what we want, rather than normalized, because we have real CHT limitations on temp unlike EGTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

They did apparently have some update to the software prior to me purchasing my EDM900 back in January 2020.

By making the bars in the graphs more sensitive it is easier to see if there are changes in the EGT's and CHT's. I made a short video today. The first part is just with the power on, engine not running, the second is at 1070rpm. You can see in both instances that it levels both the EGT's and CHT's in Normalize mode. I understand that we want to know the absolute CHT numbers (which are displayed above the graph numerically) but I find that it is also helpful once established in cruise and leaned out to have everything leveled on the graph, it makes it very easy to spot any changes to the temps to either the EGT's or CHT's where if the CHT's were at different heights depending on the temps a change is not going to stick out as much.

For reference:
Product Type: 790000-A
Product Revision: 7998-2011.05
EDM Hardware ConfigID: 1c2042021081a
EDM Serial Number: 09669
BootLoader Version: 10.08 LMS480
CoreLib Version: 1.29
Check Sum: 090FF6AA

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

They did apparently have some update to the software prior to me purchasing my EDM900 back in January 2020.

By making the bars in the graphs more sensitive it is easier to see if there are changes in the EGT's and CHT's. I made a short video today. The first part is just with the power on, engine not running, the second is at 1070rpm. You can see in both instances that it levels both the EGT's and CHT's in Normalize mode. I understand that we want to know the absolute CHT numbers (which are displayed above the graph numerically) but I find that it is also helpful once established in cruise and leaned out to have everything leveled on the graph, it makes it very easy to spot any changes to the temps to either the EGT's or CHT's where if the CHT's were at different heights depending on the temps a change is not going to stick out as much.

For reference:
Product Type: 790000-A
Product Revision: 7998-2011.05
EDM Hardware ConfigID: 1c2042021081a
EDM Serial Number: 09669
BootLoader Version: 10.08 LMS480
CoreLib Version: 1.29
Check Sum: 090FF6AA

Ha! Glad you made that.  I was 99.9% sure my 930 normalizes the chts too but I was too scared to post it and then be wrong!  Nice job Skates!

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 4:49 AM, Greg Ellis said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I went to the airport yesterday and the Normalize mode worked this time for some reason.  Not sure why it did not before.  It did just normalize the EGT's and not the CHT's like it does on @Skates97 monitor.

So my -930 does both cht and egt.  Seems they have several different software versions for the -900s and-930s.  It even puts “nrm” next to them.

3FEB4000-F0A9-4A7F-B605-F10ECF70047C.thumb.jpeg.acf147b1546fe215854856026554932c.jpeg