Who locks their controls like this?

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

Even the ones releasable from the cockpit, most often can’t by the time you realize they are locked, however if you even look outside at the wing how can you miss a big red streamer? To say nothing of a control sweep? Seems of course people don’t, this video of a test flight of the turbine Caribou for instance, test pilot had the control locks engaged, in the cockpit.

True.  Murphy's corollary: "If it can be forgotten, someone will eventually forget it".

In most of these cases, a complete and thorough control check prior to takeoff would have saved all on board.  There's a lesson for all of us:

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

Control checks just before takeoff save lives

I personally watched a 707 rotate for takeoff and then abort (WAY beyond V1), taxi back in and the Capt said the rudder locked up on T/O

As the airplane came from the hangar after overnight maintenance that morning I went in the hell hole and checked for rudder rig pins and what did I find?

Rudder rig pins still installed in the system. The rudder pedals never moved from the hangar to T/O and were never checked by the crew. 

I might add a comment on trimming full nose down and parking that way.

There have been many (and 2 at Stockton) that have run off the far end of the runway while trying to T/O with full down nose trim.  

Might not be the best idea to use for control locks and besides, it wears out the trim mechanism.

Edited by cliffy
add
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Over the years, more than once I've walked over and stopped a pilot from starting up with the pitot tube cover on, chokes or tie-downs in place and the often luggage or bag left on the ramp. 

Often students or newbies, but once a high time twin owner that just got distracted by his pax.  (Grand kids??)  He said the second he saw me walking towards the plane motioning to cut the left engine he realized he had forgotten the pitot cover.  (And knowing the guy he would have barely started his acceleration down runway before aborting.)

Last summer as I was prepping for a flight in Colorado, I watched a family approach a plane that was tied down near mine.  There were six or seven people saying goodbyes to the pilot and his co-pilot.  As I continued to prep,  I saw the two get in and start the engine.  Next I heard his engine rev and saw no motion.  Looking at his airplane rocking back and forth, I noticed that his right main was still chocked.  These were BIG chocks, he wasn't going anywhere.  So I jogged over into his field of vision and pointed to the right main.  He immediately knew what I was pointing at.  If it can be overlooked, it is more likely overlooked when the pilot is distracted...

The big red York control lock installed in my C is impossible to overlook.  I like it.  Comes with a "do not tow" flag to install on your nose gear.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I don’t worry about someone stealing the plane, it’s the avionics Id be worried about.

Whenever I flew the Maule anywhere near Mexico I’d put a cable lock on the prop. I’m sure they could cut the cable with work but hope they would just move onto something easier.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I noticed that his right main was still chocked.

I came SO CLOSE to being that guy the other day!!!!  At the Avionics shop they pulled me out of the hangar and moved me way off to the side.  Did my preflight check, actually got in the plane and was sort of in the motions of starting up and there was just something that wasn't right....

Got out and walked around the plane and didn't see anything but I was going through the motions and did my usual squat just to check there were no tie-downs (even though the plane was never tied down) and saw a chock on the left wheel.  WHO DOESN'T CHOCK THE NOSE WHEEL ON A SINGLE!! 

I guess subconsciously I either saw the guy chock the wheel or I saw it while checking the fuel, but it didn't register then.    

• Like 2

Really rethink the exterior gust locks…

When it comes to studies of how distractions work…

You don’t want to be the Guinea pig…

Sure, you should be able to remember…

And you should be able feel it during the controls check…

But it only takes once…

If you tie down outside… there are good locks that include tying up the rudder to elevator.

All in front of the pilot… blocks getting into the seat as well…

Remember the pitot covers, baggage doors and cabin doors that got forgotten.  Everybody does it at least once…

Don’t fall for the simple easy deadly stuff… it isn’t that good.  And it’s not worth the paint scratches that come with them… :)

PP thinking out loud…

Constantly battling the affects of distraction…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

In most of these cases, a complete and thorough control check prior to takeoff would have saved all on board.

Memories more clear from my Offutt days than what I had for breakfast this morning.

All spoilers up 60.

Left spoilers 60, right spoilers 20.

Left spoilers 20, right spoilers 60.

All spoilers up 60.

Inboards coming down.

Outboards coming down.

All spoilers down.

Shall I continue?  Why not?  It’s late and ya’ll are asleep anyways (well, most of you).

Left ailerons up, tabs down, left spoilers 40, right spoilers down, right ailerons down, tabs up.

Left ailerons down, tabs up, left spoilers down, right spoilers 40, right ailerons up, tabs down.

Elevators up, tabs down.

Elevators down, tabs up.

Horizontal stabilizer leading edge and inboard trim tabs moving up.  (Manual trim wheel.)

Horizontal stabilizer leading edge and inboard trim tabs moving down.  (Manual trim wheel.)

Horizontal stabilizer leading edge and inboard trim tabs moving up.  (Electric trim.)

Horizontal stabilizer leading edge and inboard trim tabs moving down.  (Electric trim.)

Horizontal stabilizer leading edge has stopped at approximately the neutral position.

Rudder left tab right.

Rudder right tab left.

Rudder left tab left.  (Power rudder on.)

Rudder right, tab right.  (Power rudder on.)

I’m skipping the poppet valve since I never crewed an airplane with a boom on it.  Later on I learned it, but it was never rote.

Flaps are clear.  

The flight crew will flash the landing/taxi lights when they’re ready for engine start (‘cause I’ll be in the Expediter truck where it’s warm).

Best job I ever had.  Mx rocks. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled MooneySpace.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a gust lock device that clamps firmly onto the two pilot control yoke posts as a pole between them and locks them in place.  The advantage of this kind of system of course is it is firm, but also it is impossible to ever miss it in a pre-flight since it is on the actual pilot position inside the cabin.  I'll take a picture when I get a chance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, S.C. said:

I found this site useful.  I have an M20C with Johnson bar and these control locks are great!  Works well with my system and it has a built in reminder.  

https://airplanethings.com/#locks

Hope this helps

I use a strap similar to that and run the trim full nose down where I find the bungees hold the elevator effectively. Ks and later have a down spring and bob weight that does that for you.

Skip

• Like 1

Maybe it’s from Military training, but I’m more likely to do a flight controls check than a Mag check.

Every helicopter we always did a flight controls check prior to starting the engine(s) The time to find out your not in control of that whirling mess over your head is not when they are whirling around :)

Longbow we did a BUCS check (back up control system) which was very involved and checked mechanical flight controls, then disconnected them, did a fly by wire check, reconnected the mechanical ones and tested them again.

The loss of an engine concerns me, the thought of loss of control pretty much terrifies me, I figure I’ll survive an engine loss, loss of control? Probably not.

If you think you may forget, always hang a remove before flight flag on the yoke whenever the locks are in place.

On our C-210 I bent a long piece of wire that when installed poked into the seat back, you couldn’t get into the airplane with the gust lock installed, the wire would poke you in the belly if you tried.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, cliffy said:

Compressing the elevator bungee springs constantly when the external gust lock is installed?  I have to think about that one. 

Why would you compress the springs? When trimmed for landing, my elevator lines up with the horizontal, so no compression.

If yours doesn’t, simply trim until it does

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:06 AM, cliffy said:

Compressing the elevator bungee springs constantly when the external gust lock is installed?  I have to think about that one. 

That's my worry as well, with the rudder lock, too, because my rudder is seldom straight when parked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

That's my worry as well, with the rudder lock, too, because my rudder is seldom straight when parked.

You can trim it the elevator level before clamping it in place, and kick the rudder pedals to straighten that part.

I just leave mine alone, wherever it's trimmed on Final, until I'm preparing for the next departure. No screws, no ropes, no Clamps, and pretty much no movement when parked outside . . . .

Yes, I've seen Cessnas wiggle, and a Luscombe flapping vigorously while parked. But not a Mooney.

When storms are forecast and I'm outside, I just bungee the yokes together. It worked when the tornadoes were throwing planes around at Sun n Supposed-to-be-Fun.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

You can trim it the elevator level before clamping it in place, and kick the rudder pedals to straighten that part.

I just leave mine alone, wherever it's trimmed on Final, until I'm preparing for the next departure. No screws, no ropes, no Clamps, and pretty much no movement when parked outside . . . .

Yes, I've seen Cessnas wiggle, and a Luscombe flapping vigorously while parked. But not a Mooney.

When storms are forecast and I'm outside, I just bungee the yokes together. It worked when the tornadoes were throwing planes around at Sun n Supposed-to-be-Fun.

Same here.   I've parked it for many days at a time outside at Rapid City (KRAP) where wind can be "significant".   I've come back to find chocks, cowl plugs, cowl plug flags, or other random bits of stuff blown away by the light ambient breezes of the northern central plains.   All I ever do is put the strap across the yokes to lock the ailerons and leave the springs to handle the rest of it and it seems to do just fine.

• Like 2