Replacement bracket ideas

Hello all

We recently suffered a failure of a landing gear bracket (pn#950099-001) for our 75F and have been unable to source a new one.  Trying to get one from Mooney and they can't even tell me when they could ship it.  I've tried the usual subjects but does anyone have any recommendations on where I might be able to source one?  Being grounded for months is no good. 

1 hour ago, Jetdriver said:

Hello all

We recently suffered a failure of a landing gear bracket (pn#950099-001) for our 75F and have been unable to source a new one.  Trying to get one from Mooney and they can't even tell me when they could ship it.  I've tried the usual subjects but does anyone have any recommendations on where I might be able to source one?  Being grounded for months is no good. 

Try @Alan Fox for used one…

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I would be more concerned with what broke the bracket than the bracket failing. There is something seriously wrong with your gear system.

Aside from the obvious failure what makes you say that?  We did have a suspicion that the gear was rigged too tight but our mechanic couldn't find anything obviously wrong until this happened. 

29 minutes ago, Jetdriver said:

Aside from the obvious failure what makes you say that?  We did have a suspicion that the gear was rigged too tight but our mechanic couldn't find anything obviously wrong until this happened. 

I would agree it was rigged too tight. About the only other thing that could cause that is a failed limit switch. I have found a lot of mechanics rig them too tight. I guess they think that if a little tight is good, a lot of tight is better. In most cases it would be better if they just left it alone.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

That does look like an odd failure.   Something unusual stressed that, so definitely check that the stop switches are working properly among other things.

If you can't find the bracket that may be repairable with a doubler.

Yowza!  That is a surprising failure mode.   I agree with the previous comments that your gear system needs a thorough inspection to include limit switches, pre-loads, binding, etc.

I have remnants from my salvage J model and I believe that part is intact, going from memory when I removed the gear actuator.  If you don't find a better option, I could try to drill it out of my J...it's very likely the same part.  I could try to verify in the IPC before starting.  It would take a good offer for me to do it, though, as I have a ton on my plate at the moment and not a lot of spare time.  PM me if you don't find a quick solution and I'll do what I can to help get you back in the air.  As mentioned above, the rivet holes might not line up, but perhaps you can up-size rivets after connecting the actuator.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jetdriver said:

Great pics to work from!

There are a lot of things that wear out over time…

But, when things break….  That’s an unusual failure…

If they break often, somebody would be here saying how they got it fixed….

A long body broke one of its retract rods, somewhat recently….  Looked like a usual kind of thing to have happen… Somebody had mis rigged the gear… it broke over time….

Anything that breaks gear parts, has a tendency to get followed by a gear up challenge… if you think parts are hard to come by… props and engine OHs to go with that get more expensive…

The log books probably have the fingerprints of who did what when… following which procedure…

Soooo… When you get the part… make sure it gets set up properly…

When something occurs that is unusual… we have the tendency to invite @M20Doc to have a look…  he has a memory for these kinds of things… he probably has seen it before… (broken gear bracket)

PP thoughts only…

-a-

Working on a K model today.  It has a doubler installed on the box structure as well.  It certainly deserves some investigation as to the failure mode.  A decent used part would be a good route for a repair, it is a bit of work though.

I’ll snap a picture of the K model tomorrow.

Clarence