Battery problems

Ppizzo

When I start my plane the annunciator light for hi/low voltage illuminates. In does not go away until run up.  Prior to this my radio and edm begin to flicker. Once I’m flying I am fine but I do get a warning on my edm that battery is at 11.3.  My battery only lasts a couple of days before I need to recharge it. My battery is brand new.   It sure sounds like a voltage regulator but I’m not sure if these are the symptoms. Does anyone know how I can be sure?  Thanks Phil

Welcome aboard Ppizzo!

Take whatever is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket out!

Anyone that has left their ADSB-in portable device plugged in… now has a new line on their shut-down checklist…. :)

There is nothing on the keep alive circuit that can drain a Concorde battery in a week…

keep alive includes frequency Memories, clocks, and other things that can drain a battery in a month or two….

There are voltage meters that plug in the same socket… get one of those and watch the volts come up from idle to 1krpm….

when taxiing at idle speed, it is expected that the low volts light comes on, because the battery is draining….

PP thoughts only…

-a-

If once your flying the voltage is steady and remains about 14V, both the regulator and alternator are OK.  But if much lower that 14V, you have a charging problem

Pretty easy to tell if you have any “dark current” on the ground with everything off, disconnect the battery cable and place a multimeter inline with the cable and battery and measure the current, if it’s an amp or more, somethings drawing power and killing you battery.

I don’t think that’s the case as with that, you show up to fly and the battery is dead, it’s what the voltage is while flying that I believe will tell the tale

On 2/5/2022 at 8:30 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Ppizzo!

Take whatever is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket out!

Anyone that has left their ADSB-in portable device plugged in… now has a new line on their shut-down checklist…. :)

Wait, my 12V plug turns off with the master switch.  Are some always on??

On 2/13/2022 at 1:42 PM, jaylw314 said:

Wait, my 12V plug turns off with the master switch.  Are some always on??

The O1s got this wonderful feature…

It also delivers 24V without any warning…   :)

There are a few interior lights and that socket kept alive after the Master has been shut off…

Back in the day… it probably got used to keep a 24v bag phone alive while dialing for your clearance….  

Go 90s!

:)

-a-

• Haha 1