Old Mooney auto pilot trouble shooting

I’d like to get it working. The heading hold function kind of works. If I set it to fly about 330 it’ll fly about 360. Is there a pot to tweek in the box somewhere to adjust this? Seems like a really cool piece of older technology 

EC2831B0-B4C3-40EE-A5E8-55DAA40B2005.jpeg

Edited by M20 Ogler

Have you tried different zone settings?  Your latitude makes a difference.  Tons of info on the site for getting these things working.  Search engine if pretty good, but you will have to change up your search words.  I assume the basic wingleveler works?  How well does it track the heading, even if it is off?

26 minutes ago, takair said:

Have you tried different zone settings?  Your latitude makes a difference.  Tons of info on the site for getting these things working.  Search engine if pretty good, but you will have to change up your search words.  I assume the basic wingleveler works?  How well does it track the heading, even if it is off?

I’ll have to read the manual. Wing level put me in a 4 minute right turn. Think it is a rigging issue. I’m gonna need to spend some hours in the air and reading before I get all dialed in 

Edited by M20 Ogler

9 hours ago, M20 Ogler said:

I’ll have to read the manual. Wing level put me in a 4 minute right turn. Think it is a rigging issue. I’m gonna need to spend some hours in the air and reading before I get all dialed in 

Ahh. Start with PC wing leveler troubleshooting.  That is the heart of the System. If that is off, everything else will be biased off. That could easily explain the heading offset. 

Start with airplane rigging, how well does it fly with the autopilot/PC off?  Then leak check the lines and servo pots, a leak free system is essential.  Then you get down to the control system and gyro.  There are adjustment pots on the control head and procedures in the Brittain manuals.

Yours is the deluxe system with altitude hold.

Clarence

1207065990_ScreenShot2022-01-31at12_00_31PM.thumb.png.f24ab80ae3de8eed9b6df971bd6820c6.png
Well . .  autopilots are roughly the same price now (GFC500 installed) as they were back in 1965 if you account for inflation. (https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=2200&year=1965)
However they are so much more capable now. 

That’s really quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spent about 1 1/2 years since I bought my E (with the same system you have) working on it. Your turn with PC on is probably due to a leak on the left aileron of the PC wing leveler. As Doc says, make sure your rigging is good first, then if the PC causes a turn, try trimming with the valve on top of the clock on the pilot's yoke. If that doesn't pull it equally right and left, it's time to check vaccuum to the left and right sides. You can find red and green lines behind the trim on the left side of the baggage area. If they don't leak, they will hold 5 psi of vaccuum for a minute or two.

The system is elegant, simple, and inexpensive. There is more to learn, but that should get you started.

Kevin Westbrook, a long time employee of Brittain, is also available to troubleshoot and repair components of these systems. He has a new number - five 3 niner dos niner dos zero quattro seven quattro.

PM if you have questions.   

• Thanks 1