Do you and what type of Extinguisher?

Fire extinguisher in Plane?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Fire extinguisher in Plane?

Halon Compass from Aircraft Spruce, 1.2 lbs of chemical (they offer a smaller one at .9 lb).  I think halon is the kindest to avionics if you have an electrical fire and have to shoot under and behind the panel.  Much better to put out the fire without trashing adjacent electronics. The smaller one is listed around $130, the 1.3 lb is around $180.

I think the manufacturers are missing the economics here for the GA pilot.  If they produced at professional quality 2 lb halon for less than $100 new at retail, I think they would sell a bunch and have a much higher profit overall.  With the outrageous prices on these things I keep using a single  conventional dry chemical at the baggage door.  With more attractive pricing on Halons I would have one at the baggage door and one available from the pilot seat.

I think the marketers are missing the boat on this one.  Back in the early 90's I carried a small Halon next to pilot seat and larger one at baggage door.  Now, with the outrageous cost of Halon units,  I just carry a dry powder at the baggage door.  I think if someone sold a professional, rechargable 2 lb Halon for less than $100, that I would buy and carry two.  I think the sells  volume at the lower price point would give greater profits to that company.  We all make decisions on how to spend our safety dollar, I think these guys have priced themselves out of the real market.   

I have an H3R Moder RT A600. I have it mounted in front of the spar as per the Mooney factory position. No, the spar is not drilled and you should not drill into the spar. And I'm quoting a very reputable MSC: "The fastest way to trash a perfectly good airplane is to drill into the spar."

Look at my gallery for a picture. PM me if you want to know how I did it.