History

oldn0tded

Hey folks,

Looking for some local knowledge on this airplane:

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_605766_Mooney+Aircraft.html

This looks pretty nice and I have initiated a conversation with the seller. However, a preliminary check on the FAA database turned up an experimental airworthiness certificate. I've checked my area and it seems an experimental a/w certificate complicates things quite a bit. The recommendations I have from my contacts here vary from "walk away" to "for the right price". I'm sure insurance changes; Anything else???

Any ideas or thoughts from the crowd??

Oldn0tded

That is not a 201 cowel closure, it is just a Lasar cowel closure.  I would sure question just what that 70 hour old major was.  If from a reputable shop one thing, otherwise probably just a field overhaul pencil job in an attempt to increase sells price.  Nothing special in the way of avionics.  Not mentioning the Experimental status shows probable intent to deceive.  Tred carefully.

Something happened in 1989.  Weird... Looks like a nice plane.  

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Experimental
Engine Model I0360 SER A&C Category To show compliance with FAR
  A/W Date 09/28/1989

The information contained in this record should be the most current Airworthiness information available in the historical aircraft record. However, this data alone does not provide the basis for a determination regarding the airworthiness of an aircraft or the current aircraft configuration. For specific information, you may request a copy of the aircraft record at Http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/airrecordsND.asp

Yeah, that's where I first found out about the experimental a/w cert. I asked about it and the seller says its a mistake. That's certified in normal category. I'm thinking he doesn't KNOW it's experimental. That would be a beeeeaaatch, to have purchased an experimental and then try to re-sell.

The only thing I can see from the pix are the wingtips, but now I'm getting gun shy.....

To many others to choose from, without ??????

Update on the airplane I started this thread over. I have seen pictures of the appropriate log pages and it does appear the experimental certificate is a mistake. Apparently, during one of the mods done in 1989 (probably the wingtips) it was certified as experimental, subsequent to that, an inspection was made and a normal certificate was issued. I have seen a picture of the correct one w/the correct date. It does appear to be an error.

Back to the original question: Does anyone have any knowledge about this airplane? AND how expensive is it to correct the reoccurring AD on the prop?

Thanks in advance

You can zyglo the hub every 100 hours or at annual which is first, or lay out 8K for a new Hartzell BA prop.  Perhaps overhauling it and installing  "B" hub would be cheaper.  But the BA is better.  My IA said the Zyglo inspection can be done on the plane (I don't know), but you have to fly it to the shop and pay them, so a few hundred bucks in airplane time and labor every 100 hours is a hassle.

Actually, if you're asking about AD 2009-22-03, it's an eddy current inspection, not zyglo, that is due every 100 hours.  There is no longer any calendar time requirement. So depending how much you fly, you may not need to do it every year.  The inspection can be done in about two hours including paperwork.  The shop I use is 15 miles from my home base, and they charge $180, so I can do this a lot before I would ever break even on a new hub.  If you have to fly 5 hours to reach a suitable shop, it might payoff to get the new hub to avoid the cost and hassle.

My advice would be to spend the $8200 like my brother did.  He sold his old one cheap to a propeller shop for $1500 (worth like 2K).  If you overhaul you get nothing. 

That Top Prop is amazing, better cruise and climb.  Beside If subtract $2k from $8200 You only end up paying $6200...I was quoted $5k-$5.5 for an overhaul. 

Sometime whats seems cheaper really isn't  

My advice would be to spend the $8200 like my brother did.  He sold his old one cheap to a propeller shop for $1500 (worth like 2K).  If you overhaul you get nothing. 

That Top Prop is amazing, better cruise and climb.  Beside If subtract $2k from $8200 You only end up paying $6200...I was quoted $5k-$5.5 for an overhaul. 

Sometime whats seems cheaper really isn't.