REDLINE SIDEWINDER POWER DRIVER

GeneralT001

In 30+ years of flying Mooneys I've used a  gas powered tug, a Nose-dragger, a Robo-tow, a Mini-Max, all before trying out a Redline Sidewinder. There is absolutely no comparison, with the MiniMax being the worst by far. The Sidewinder works every time. You'll only care about the price the day you buy it, you'll never think about it again after you use it. If you ever get done with flying they still bring 85% of their value used. When one comes up for sale on Beechtalk, it goes in minutes.

As for making a custom hand tow bar, as an electrician, I took a piece of rigid conduit and I custom bent a slightly longer tow bar to give me improved leverage. It worked great for years, until last year when I was lucky enough to land a barely used sidewinder….the biggest issue for me is ice…other than that, it’s wonderful tool.  I check the battery bars every use….when it goes to 2(out of 4) I put it on charge 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have experience using the Minimax electric towbar

On 1/17/2022 at 5:27 PM, LANCECASPER said:

In 30+ years of flying Mooneys I've used a  gas powered tug, a Nose-dragger, a Robo-tow, a Mini-Max, all before trying out a Redline Sidewinder. There is absolutely no comparison, with the MiniMax being the worst by far. The Sidewinder works every time. You'll only care about the price the day you buy it, you'll never think about it again after you use it. If you ever get done with flying they still bring 85% of their value used. When one comes up for sale on Beechtalk, it goes in minutes.

Good to know - I've been looking at all those models (am getting too old to move airplane even with wife) -- buying my Sidewinder now, 5 week wait. When icy (around my Minn. hangar) will need to put some sand down or plywood maybe??

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joepilotmooney said:

Anyone have experience using the Minimax electric towbar

Good to know - I've been looking at all those models (am getting too old to move airplane even with wife) -- buying my Sidewinder now, 5 week wait. When icy (around my Minn. hangar) will need to put some sand down or plywood maybe??

You're in the tropical part of Minnesota. I grew up near KGPZ and learned to fly just over the western border in KGFK..

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You're in the tropical part of Minnesota. I grew up near KGPZ.

I was once watching a cross country ski technique video, and the ski coach was showing a skier in that neck of the woods in the Deep South of Minnesota, and since the good ski season wasn't as long, he called it "The Banana Belt of Minnesota" which gave me a chuckle that stuck with me.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

IN ADDITION I’ve had the EZ 40 , currently Nosegragger, best so far, mini-max worse so far. 
I have chronic pain in my lower back, nuff said here. All the mentioned tugs require so bending and exertion of the lower  back to use properly.

I’m looking at two options 

OPTION 1

Redline Sidewinder. How much muscular use is necessary to properly use it. Consider a senior with very sore back. approximately $2300

OPTION 2 

Best Tug A3. Appears Very little physical exertion is necessary, quality as is the sidewinder. Approximately $4500 with shipping 

Any information is greatly appreciated 

ie use of the Best tug vs sidewinder

ANYONE NEAR Wilmington De where I could check out there sidewinder.

I’m ready to move. No pun

22 minutes ago, Danb said:

Redline Sidewinder. How much muscular use is necessary to properly use it. Consider a senior with very sore back. approximately $2300

If going over a hump, Minor pressure downward on sidewinder, otherwise no effort.  May consider portability too.  

7 hours ago, Danb said:

T how much back energy do you think you use, how much for tug$

Danb, almost no back energy required with sidewinder once you learn how to attach / detach to nose gear. Walk up to side of plane behind prop, Sidewinder in unfolded config carried with both hands, kneel down and insert in tow bar hole with drive knuckle resting on tire, back around prop to the drive drill, lean down on assembly slightly, squeeze the trigger, up the incline, over the hangar bump, perfect alignment in the space, smile...leave it attached until you are ready to bring the plane out. just don’t forget to open the hangar door :)  pricy but you will love it.

k

The sidewinder is in the pretty good category….

But… for backless effort there are the remote control ones around here somewhere…

Possibly a best tug variety…

they look like tank tracks….

The sidewinder people have a pretty good sales team… ask them the tough questions to see what they say…

Best regards,

-a-

Maybe I don't know how to use mine but I have to push hard to get the plane up the little incline. I complained to redline and all they replied was that they sold many sidewinders, which obviously did not help. I would happily sell it, but being in Europe makes it hard

I have the sidewinder and EZ40 gas tug. I’m thinking about just selling the gas tug because the sidewinder works so well with the Mooney. Connection time is about the same for the EZ40, Sidewinder and the Best tug A2. The portability of the Sidewinder makes it the winner. No more struggling to pull the plane out of the wet grass at Oshkosh!  

I have an EZ 40 tug with the dual tire kit.  It's amazing in snow and ice, easy to hook up and with the electric start, couldn't be simpler. 

I also have the sidewinder.  For the rest of the year, it's my go to tug.  Simple to use, a little more involved to get it attached, but still super simple and easy.  It does struggle a tad on up hill with the mooney full of fuel but it gets it done.

8 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

1. Does the Sidewinder get a grip on wet grass?
2. Other than the portability issue, how do you like the Best?

The sidewinder does grip well when wet and clamps to the wheel with authority. No down pressure needed. I used it the other day in the rain. The Best is my buddy’s tug, he owns a 66’ C Model and maybe he will chime in. I made a mistake on my original post, he actually has the single wheel A1 Best Tug not the A2. I believe he likes it but it does have some drawbacks. You have to apply down pressure on the tug because it’s relatively light and the geometry is a little off. The A1 also doesn’t have a neutral, so you can’t walk it out to the plane at a normal pace. You have to drive it on battery power. 

19 hours ago, Ulysse said:

Maybe I don't know how to use mine but I have to push hard to get the plane up the little incline. I complained to redline and all they replied was that they sold many sidewinders, which obviously did not help. I would happily sell it, but being in Europe makes it hard

Is your nose tire inflated to full pressure? My Sidewinder becomes less capable when my nose tire is down a few PSI. Just something to check if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1