Bose (Lemo) Jacks in the front seats - no power

LANCECASPER

My airplane came with 4 Bose jacks installed. It looks like the back seat jacks are on one circuit breaker and the front seat jacks are on another.

All four have audio, but on the most recent flight the two in the front have no power so the headsets need batteries, even though the circuit breaker is not tripped. I've re-set the breaker but still no power. There are no inline fuses front what I can tell. What am I missing? 

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Be sure there is ground there as well.  There shouldn't be an inline fuse on there and the Lemo plugs are pretty straight forward.  Truly, all you need there is Power, Ground and then the regular L,R, Lo, Mic Hi and Mic Lo.  PTT isn't a pin on there as all that does is provide a ground to the Key Line to the Audio Panel.  So, check both Power and Ground as the ground may have come off or loose. 

• Like 3

Without tearing apart the interior I've verified that the breaker has power going in and out, so the breaker is good. Since both front seats are on the same breaker, anyone know on a Mooney factory Bose install where the common ground for the two jacks would go? The Bose schematic shows the ground going to the headset jack barrel.

819646441_ScreenShot2022-01-19at7_01_10PM.png.96fd7f88f9bb029cb6c926089b6b9805.png

7 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Hmmmm. A broken ground is definitely a possibility. 

No I don't think it's ground. There is no power there.

I think @Jerry 5TJ hit the nail on the head - no power. Since the two front jacks are on the same breaker and neither of them works and there is power at the breaker I'm wondering if the power lead on the jacks ever got hooked up. This was built the summer of '08 right after the Type S came out and Mooney had a backlog to fill (ironically not long before the financial crisis that shut them down) so I'm wondering if this was just overlooked. The one previous owner used headsets that had two GA plugs so he wouldn't have noticed if the power was connected to the Bose plugs or not. 

15 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Not that it is easy, but it should be straightforward following where there is power and where the power ends.

Hahahahahaha, straightforward? Yes pull the seats out, pull the side panels, become a contortionist, crawl under there, get a muscle spasm in your back, dial 911 from a fetal position. . . for someone that knows what they are doing it probably is straightforward

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FOLLOW UP: Mooney Service Center finds evidence of uninvited passengers

They found some rodent droppings and nesting. It was cleaned up in the tail cone and cabin.

What is very strange is that they chewed up only the Bose ground and power (black and red) wires. They gnawed into a little of the white insulation on intercom wires but didn't like that. If I had to guess those black and red wires were insulated with soy based insulation. (Mercedes used this on their wiring harnesses in the early 90's to be more environmentally friendly and rodents loved it. Tens of thousands of harnesses had to be replaced. Other companies have had to deal with this as well: https://nhoilundercoating.com/soy-based-wiring-how-to-help-keep-mice-out/)

image.thumb.png.15e5cadc131f358a49a6c46875efa8cf.png

Some pilots mice like Bose, some don’t… :)

Apparently the automotive community has an answer….

Honda has a pepper infused tape to guard wires….

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~tape~rodent~19mm~20m~4019-2317.html

So… if you see selectively cut wires… their insulation may be soy based…

I went hunting for information about some Corvette wires and mice nests…. And came across similar information…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

FOLLOW UP: Mooney Service Service finds evidence of uninvited passengers

They found some rodent droppings and nesting. After it was cleaned up in the tail cone and cabin, no corrosion, thank goodness.

What is very strange is that they chewed up only the Bose ground and power (black and red) wires. They gnawed into a little of the white insulation on intercom wires but didn't like that. If I had to guess those black and red wires were insulated with soy based insulation. (Mercedes used this on their wiring harnesses in the early 90's to be more environmentally friendly and rodents loved it. Tens of thousands of harnesses had to be replaced. Other companies have had to deal with this as well: https://nhoilundercoating.com/soy-based-wiring-how-to-help-keep-mice-out/)

Do you think they preferred LOP, or ROP operations? :) :) 

Good job finding the issue. Congrats to that tech.