G100 Scratchy Radio

Alan Maurer

I’m having the same problem with mine only it’s my #2 and it’s transmit only otherwise comes in clear. Both of my antennas are on top and my #2 is aft but as far as I can tell it’s not an antenna problem. I called an avionics shop and they said they never heard of that problem and suggested I switch the 2 GIA’s around  to see if it follows the problem. Well I tried that and as I thought you have to reload the software. My next stop is a good avionics shop, find out which box controls my #2 comm and send it to Garmin for repair.

According to photos online, both antennae are on top and this looks to be the same exact configuration as my G1000 Ovation.  Swapping the GIA63Ws would be the obvious step, and would be a quick thing for an avionics shop to try.  If the problem follows the radio then there's your answer. If it doesn't, then some more sleuthing is required, as it could be in the antenna, the wiring, etc.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I’d be more likely to swap the antenna cables from 1 to 2 on the splitter which is on the avionics bay on the back. Especially if swapping #1 & #2 GPS requires any software re-load. That would either conform or eliminate the antenna as the culprit

I think nav antennas are on a splitter, not com.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’m hoping the problem is solved. I brought the plane over to Daytona Aircraft Service and they swapped my #1 and #2 GIA-63W boxes around and with a little button pushing reprogrammed the G1000. I’ve taken a couple of flights since then and have had no com issues at all on both my #1 and #2 coms. Before I brought the plane over to the avionics shop I reracked the boxes myself to no avail so I’m not really sure why the problem went away. 
So for an hours labor it might be worth a try.