JPI 900 vertical or horizontal

Greg Ellis

I currently have my JPI 900 installed horizontally.  When I put in the GFC 500 I have to do some reshuffling.  I was wondering for those that have the JPI installed vertically, is there much of a difference in the presentation of the data on the screen?  Are things smaller, more tightly cramped or is this not really an issue?  I am thinking of moving it from the right side panel to the pilot side panel and turning it vertically basically next to the altimeter.  I am just not sure of the look of it vertically compared to horizontal.  I can always leave it but I think it would be cleaner if moved over.  Thanks for the advice.

There are pics of what gets covered… by the box itself…

And discussions about what changes on the display  when the orientation changes…

It may depend on how many cylinders you have….

It is significant enough that JPI must have pics on their website…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I had a 900 before I upgraded to the larger piece of real estate on the 930, and found the landscape (wide) display and ease of viewing the data on the 900 much easier to read than having it mounted vertically.  Namely, the CHT/EGT viewing among other bits.  To each his own tho…

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I had a 900 before I upgraded to the larger piece of real estate on the 930, and found the landscape (wide) display and ease of viewing the data on the 900 much easier to read than having it mounted vertically.  Namely, the CHT/EGT viewing among other bits.  To each his own tho…

Thank you for the info.  I appreciate it.  This is what I was concerned about.  I have the room to leave it where it is but thought while the panel is open for the autopilot might as well tweak things to perfection. :D

23 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There are pics of what gets covered… by the box itself…

And discussions about what changes on the display  when the orientation changes…

It may depend on how many cylinders you have….

It is significant enough that JPI must have pics on their website…

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  I will check the JPI website.  Never thought of that.

• Like 1

I would turn it vertical and put it on the left side. I think that everything is easy to see and it is nice having it right in front of you. With four cylinders it is easy to see everything, if I had a six cylinder engine I would likely want it horizontal. 

20211009_095111.thumb.jpg.311ce5982e731262b1839ec3963aedce.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I would turn it vertical and put it on the left side. I think that everything is easy to see and it is nice having it right in front of you. With four cylinders it is easy to see everything, if I had a six cylinder engine I would likely want it horizontal. 

20211009_095111.thumb.jpg.311ce5982e731262b1839ec3963aedce.jpg

The way you have it is what I am wanting to do.  Thanks for sending the photo.  Is that the 930 or the 900?  The JPI website says that the blue EGT numbers next to the CHT are not visible in vertical mode, only horizontal.  They give the big number at the bottom.  But it looks like on yours they are visible above the green CHT numbers.

18 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

The way you have it is what I am wanting to do.  Thanks for sending the photo.  Is that the 930 or the 900?  The JPI website says that the blue EGT numbers next to the CHT are not visible in vertical mode, only horizontal.  They give the big number at the bottom.  But it looks like on yours they are visible above the green CHT numbers.

It is the 900 and yes, the EGT and CHT values are both always displayed.

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Just my 2 cents . . . aesthetically I think it looks better horizontally and flush mounted.

I agree flush mounted looks much better. I have the brackets to flush mount it and the G5's. Right now the panel is still just a hodgepodge with all the old holes in it just but when I get a new panel cut and painted everything will be flush mounted.

16 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

4 cylinders in horizontal mode wastes space, the layout is not as clean. IMHO of course.

I have seen a 4 cylinder in horizontal mode and it seems there is just wasted space. It may be because I am just used to the vertical layout but I think it makes better use of the display space. I particularly like the way the MP and RPM are stacked on top of each other in vertical mode instead of next to each other.