Starter relay??

• 1 year later...

I have the same relay that is acting up.  Ray, did you find a part number for it?  I am finding a cross reference to a X61-0030, but it has four poles rather than three and does not look the same.

Anyone have a different replacement number for the starter relay?  If you used a x61-0030 do you have a wring diagram?  My A&P would like to see that.

Tim

• Like 1

You can get the Lamar solenoid at Aircraft Spruce.

However, I'd question a mechanic's ability if he does not know how to hook up a starter solenoid.  I' sure the new one comes with a schematic.  Of course electrical just may be his weak point and he is very good at everything else.

You can get the Lamar solenoid at Aircraft Spruce.

However, I'd question a mechanic's ability if he does not know how to hook up a starter solenoid.  I' sure the new one comes with a schematic.  Of course electrical just may be his weak point and he is very good at everything else.

John,

Thanks for the confirmation that the Lamar will work.  My A&P is just being cautious.  He could not find a schematic for the Mooney that showed the fourth wire back to ground for the switch and the Lamar site shows the X61-0030 as non-PMA.  I have not found any other alternatives that are available and TSO or PMA.

Ray, I've had the pleasure of replacing both the Master Relay and the Starter Relay.  I would turn the starter key and get this ratcheting noise, I had a mechanic replace it, it has worked fine ever since (mine was a 3 prong 12V starter).  It really is doorbell technology, not hard to do, but getting the bolts loosened and tightened in the pilots footwell is really a lot of fun!  Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Reading the post is appears the Lamar X61-0030 intermittent duty starter relay was use to replace the original equipment.

A couple of questions, first is the original 3 post starter relay still available?

If not is the Lamar a legal replacement? Also if I understand correctly on the Lamar the second small post is connect to ground to complete the circuit from the starter switch.

Thanks

Reading the post is appears the Lamar X61-0030 intermittent duty starter relay was use to replace the original equipment.

A couple of questions, first is the original 3 post starter relay still available?

If not is the Lamar a legal replacement? Also if I understand correctly on the Lamar the second small post is connect to ground to complete the circuit from the starter switch.

Thanks

I could not find the three post when I was looking and yes the fourth post goes to ground. On the original the switch ground was established through the case.

A couple of years back, I replaced my starter solenoid. I spoke with LASAR about it and they said they just use the Lamar solenoid. I guess because there is no PMA'd part available from anyone, the regs allow a like kind replacement. Anyhow, I took LASAR's word for it, bought the unit from Spruce put it in with a sign off from a local IA and all has been well.

I called Lamar and the support staff confirmed this is a direct replacement. They had me go to their web site down load the wiring diagram. It seems that both Piper and Cessna issued a service bulletin allowing the change in starter relay. However for a Mooney to be strictly legal the suggest filing a FAA Form 337 to get as the support person said a rubber stamp. The Lamar starter relay is "a replacement for obsolete 12 volt and 24 volt contactors". It sure would be nice if Mooney also issued a service bulletin. (maybe they did? anyone know)