Centennial or Rocky Mountain airport CO

Mark89114

Always had good luck with metro.  Signature has a Go Rentals counter in the FBO.  Fuel is expensive but not completely out of line.  The only thing that's really awful is overnight hangar rental, which is cost-prohibitive for me (it was $160/night last time I hangared there).  Access is easy - ramp parking is about 150 feet from the parking lot.

Another vote for KBJC instead of KAPA.  Speaking as a local, I'd urge you to also consider uncontrolled options (KEIK, KLMO), but you won't get 24-hour FBO staffing there.  Signature is the "established" FBO, at KBJC, but I've heard good things about new-kid-on-the-block Sheltair.  No personal experience there, though.

Note that KBJC has a self serve pump which is competitively priced with nearby uncontrolled airports.  But any savings is probably eaten up by what the FBO will charge you if you don't purchase fuel.

FBO fees and policies change frequently depending on who's working the desk, phases of the moon, etc.  Strongly suggest you call a day or two before arrival and figure out which of Signature or Sheltair is offering the best deals for piston singles.

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

For those of us without turbos the runway might be too short depending on weight/temperature.

The runway at KBDU is 4100' in good condition.  Field elevation is about 5300'.  Margins start to get a little thin in something like an Ovation at gross weight, but A/B/C/E/G/F/J models are fine, provided winds aren't squirrely...

... and that's really the only reason I don't recommend KBDU to newcomers.  The wind can be funny there, being right in the shadow of the flatirons.  Much of the time, winds are light out of the east at the surface, and there's nothing to hit off the end of runway 8, so risk factor is low.  When the prevailing west wind kicks up enough to push to the surface, those unfamiliar will choose 26, which points right at the mountains.  The issue isn't actually the mountains themselves, it's that the topography around there can generate a wicked downdraft just a bit west of the runway.  The tow pilots I know there won't take off on 26 unless the particulars of the day and airplane they're flying will allow them to turn crosswind at or prior to the end of the pavement.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Mark89114 said:

Driving distance to Breckinridge is about the same, flight time minute or two longer theoretically, but which one is easier to get in and out and has better FBO’s?  

Would be interested in your actual experience, planning to fly from Texas in March.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:42 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

Being a CB, I park at Boulder and Uber to enterprise. It is difficult to get an IFR clearance out of Boulder.

I used to fly into Boulder a lot, but there is a crapload of nordo glider traffic that can be really stressful. The gliders are all over the place, and tow planes all over the place. I finally decided that I’d rather do Longmont as a BJC alternative than Boulder just because of the chaos. 

(I should say here that I’m sure there is a method to the madness for locals, but I’ve read all of the published guidance for Boulder and I still found it really stressful.)

On 1/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Mark89114 said:

Driving distance to Breckinridge is about the same, flight time minute or two longer theoretically, but which one is easier to get in and out and has better FBO’s?  

If you’re coming from the east, metro can be a PITA because you have to go straight through the Denver bravo, and you’ll often get routed all over hell. I’ve had BJC arrivals that add 20 minutes to the flight just flying vectors for traffic. 

BJC is my normal choice because of the location and services, but that’s despite the very common routing pains. 

It may have changed since I moved away 9 years ago and I'm a bit biased because I flew (and taught) out of there for 20 years, but I'd be flying into Centennial. and using TAC Air which is the more GA friendly of the three 24/7 FBOs on the airport, all of which provide excellent service.

Denver TRACON is great but coming form the east, Centennial definitely has easier access. 

Edited by midlifeflyer

If you are going to be a CB and not just fly into Eagle, stay at EIK. Lower prices on everything. Getting clearance out of there requires a phone call. Getting a car then becomes the only challenge, you just have to Uber to B-town or Lafayette. I am hangar'd at Metro, APA is a SS, Boulder's gliders aren't so scary once you get to know it. 

I have done both.  I prefer KBJC over KAPA, but either is fine, really.  KAPA has more traffic.  KBJC has more IFR routing issues.

Another option is KFTG, formerly Frontrange, now called Colorado Air and Space Port, which can be faster all things considered coming from the east.  You're a little farther from the mountain weather, and if you're picking up / dropping off people at Denver International with your rental car, it's very convenient, which is why I used it.  It's right on I-70 and the drive time to Breckenridge is not significantly longer, maybe even faster with traffic.  Not as much plane traffic as KAPA.  If you go VFR, or maybe even IFR, be ready for some strange pattern instructions to keep you out of the class bravo.

KBJC (expect some routing around KDEN traffic especially if coming directly east to west) and KAPA (busier) are both good towered airports.

KLMO (my home non towered airport) is good, but heavy VFR training pattern traffic can make a clearance void time of less than 5 minutes difficult without requesting help from traffic. KLMO also has heavy skydiving activity so avoid overflying the field.

KEIK and KCFO (KCFO towered next to KDEN) are a little further away (not sure about rental car situation at KEIK), but also good. So, I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the above depending on your preferences of services, cost, towered vs non towered etc.

I would probably avoid KBDU without doing your research regarding noise abatement and local traffic including glider activity as well as possible tricky winds out of the west which require an early crosswind from Rwy 26.  

You’re smart to go for a safer front range airport, which can still have some respectable  winds and turbulence, rather than venture into the unfamiliar mountain airports, which carry much greater risk- especially if we get some more desired powder skiing. 

If you’re normally aspirated, like me, you’ll appreciate the 10,000’ runway at Centennial. I asked the same questions last summer and picked APA because of the density altitude, and load we were hauling. I’m glad I did. TACair treated my M20J like we were a gulfstream. Excellent service, I’ll go there next time we’re in Denver. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally an update.

Decided to use Colorado Air and Space port, KCFO based on some opinions here.  #1 it avoided all the vectoring into the other 2 airports.  Ended up picking up and dropping a passenger off at the DEN Airport, so it was super close.  Services were all good, didn't check fuel prices....sometimes you just have to say WTF and move on, rental car was ready, they have tie downs with heater plugs and there is a Mexican restaurant in the terminal, didnt eat there.  Don't think they charged me overnight fees.  Probably use it again, maybe try one of the others just so I have some real time info.

• Like 2