M20E Trim Motor Sprocket help

Bob R

4 hours ago, JoeM said:

Some people have more time than money, and enjoy the challenge of keeping old stuff working. After resealing the boots and changing hoses, my Brittain with Alt hold and Pitch control now works fine for flying VFR :D

Oh, if you knew how much of a hoarder and bottom feeder I am, you would know that the comment should have been in green.   

Aerodon

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, Fly Boomer said:

@Bob R I'm checking in to see if you have been able to build or acquire any of these parts?  Both my rudder and aileron trim are inop.

I do have a set of the split rings I’ll part with. $110 with shipping if that works. Pilot holes are pre-drilled. You will just need to tap them 6-32. Let me know.

Bob

The ring, or what I call the split ring, sits on the inside (pilot side) of your trim wheel secured by a total of 6 screws which are 6-32. The ring ms are made of aluminum and can wear out because of the brass sprocket on the trim motor which drives it. You should be able to easily see any wear. I think the way they get worn is by hand trimming which causes the sprocket to slip on the aluminum ring. Unfortunately, as you are probably aware, a bit of force is needed to manually trim because the trim motor is not free wheeling.
If you need a picture as to what I am referring to, let me know.

Bob

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Fly Boomer said:

@Bob R

OIC.  My electric pitch trim is part of my KAP-150 autopilot system.  The inop trim is rudder and aileron.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

John

If you happen to possess the Aerotriminc STC unit that was maybe installed before the KAP system, I know someone looking for the motor, sprocket and motor bracket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 2:55 PM, Bob R said:

Here is a picture. Never seen a new one so do not know if this is worn or not. Can’t seem to find a part number either.

7668E4E2-1374-4406-9E9E-9E660A1989E7.jpeg

Do any of you who what replaced your AeroTrim STC'ed trim with autopilot servo have this electric trim motor mount laying around? I do not need one but @JoeM is looking for one. He just order some new sprockets for the motor if anyone needs one.

• 10 months later...

I have finally received the replacement sprocket specified in the STC. Have 6 extras if anyone needs one. I bought the new motor from Aerotrim. Still looking for the mounting bracket to attach to the floor next to the trim wheel / rings.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob;

That picture of the sprocket looks the same as the replacement new ones I received. Don't think it is worn. 

Does your motor rotate the trim up fairly well? In testing mine, it goes down fine but is a little challenged going up. 

• 1 month later...