Flying an ILS into San Jose, Costa Rica

Oscar Avalle

I put together a video showing a recent flight into San Jose, Costa Rica. Unfortunately my camera got very dirty and the quality is not as great and the camera in the tail stopped working... But still I believe I was able to put something together that is nice. I have some more footage from the flight. I hope to put some additional videos together over the next weeks. The countryside in Costa Rica is simply magnificient.

So here we go...

• Like 4

It looks like the autopilot didn't track the CDI -- it waited until it was almost centered on the OBS until it initiated the turn, and then overshot the LOC intercept (by a very small amount). the KFC225 in my plane will keep the CDI lined up on the lubber line and never overshoots, even at 140kias

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.18.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.18.29 PM.png

11 minutes ago, rbp said:

It looks like the autopilot didn't track the CDI -- it waited until it was almost centered on the OBS until it initiated the turn, and then overshot the LOC intercept (by a very small amount). the KFC225 in my plane will keep the CDI lined up on the lubber line and never overshoots, even at 140kias

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.18.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 6.18.29 PM.png

Yes, it overshot a bit. STEC is OK, but not as good as other autopilots. . If you look at the Aspen you may notice that my autopilot is tracking a bit of course. It tracks well but just a bit to the left.  So after my flight I asked the avionics shop to adjust it. It seems that it is not too hard to adjust.