Faked a Crash

GeeBee

Pretty big thread on Beechtalk as well. In the real world not the best place to lose an engine but, you have a couple alright options to land around there. On top of that, he bailed bail at around 10000 feet, and had multiple campgrounds to go to around that area, let alone trails or roads. gliding down to the airplane only shows that his main priority was the video clips. At least he had the selfie stick ready to go.

This is where he bailed:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/34°48'46.0"N+119°56'36.7"W/@34.812767,-119.9457027,789m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xe742ac60562f0e4e!7e2!8m2!3d34.8127673!4d-119.9435139

This was going around on FB right when it came out.   Comments everywhere seem to be running 99.5% that the guy is a tool, so that's going well.  ;)

If he isn't prosecuted or actioned by somebody there's going to be a lot of disappointed people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The important question is, did the cameras survive the impact??
Did he start a go fund me so he can buy a new plane?

Yes, all the external footage came from the mounted cameras (he apparently felt the need despite the survival situation to hike up to the crash site to recover the footage, despite there being no survival equipment or supplies in the plane).  Of course, that means he is in control of what footage is and isn't disseminated.

As airplane owners, I believe we are also an element of stewardship or caretaker as owners, not just of the plane, but also of GA more broadly.  This stunt fails abjectly in this regard and is a sad artifact of our society’s preference for junk food titillation and outrage over accomplishment.

Imagine yourself as a previous owner who served a caretaker or possibly,y restorer of this aircraft over its 80 year life.  How sad to see all that obliterated for clicks and “likes.”

I hope he learns something and doubt his “fans” will

-dan

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, exM20K said:

As airplane owners, I believe we are also an element of stewardship or caretaker as owners, not just of the plane, but also of GA more broadly.  This stunt fails abjectly in this regard and is a sad artifact of our society’s preference for junk food titillation and outrage over accomplishment.

Imagine yourself as a previous owner who served a caretaker or possibly,y restorer of this aircraft over its 80 year life.  How sad to see all that obliterated for clicks and “likes.”

I hope he learns something and doubt his “fans” will

-dan

The host claims he did speak with the prior owners of the plane who were fairly upset.  As an aside, is there a way to make these darned embedded posts smaller?

Edited by jaylw314

2 hours ago, philip_g said:

I could buy that the plane doesn't have a starter and he didn't think to push the nose over to crank it.

I could even buy that he planned to fly some aerobatics later in the flight.

I have a problem with his acting. He way over sold it, didn't act like someone in a real emergency.

Also he could have at least looked for a place to land. There's a nice wide dirt road right there...

You can see in some of the later videos from the plane cams after he jumped out that the prop started windmilling again.

If you watch his pre-jump clips, to me it does look like the nose is way high and that he's actually yanking the nose up.  The speculation, of course, was that he was simply trying to slow the plane down enough to stop the prop for dramatic effect.

13 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

If you notice when he lets go of the yoke, the plane immediately pitches nose-down. Seems as if he forced the trim down to keep the crash site near to where he could parachute to it

He learned from the guys that bailed out of the TBM Avenger in AZ at 1500 ft.   That airplane still hasn't been found.   

this idiot is so enamored with his utube character that he actually believed his engine out over a national forest would be accepted without question.His acting is so forced and lacking a real emotion that the obvious conclusion is what we use to call publicity stunt.The problem I have looking at all the evidence of preplaning the supposed engine failure,placement of cameras and post jump extreme effort to hike back to aircraft before anyone else could retrieve unedited footage proving a fraudulent accident.Being a sport skydiver he made sure of performing the skydive at an alitude he was familiar with....8 to 10 thousand feet....he picked an area without any obvious ranch or dwellings (good idea or he could be facing a murder charge if the plane came down at the wrong place.He ignores the fact that at his apparent alitude as shown on footage ,even the worst example of a 65 hp taylorcraft has a better glide (with that low drag wing)than any cub or champ .He ignores the many potential landing sites besides the obvious santa ynez airport well within gliding range at his apparent alitude.This whole episode reeks of probable criminal wreakness intent....he will probably get away with it as it would be tough to prove beyond circumstantial evidence.

21 minutes ago, thinwing said:

this idiot is so enamored with his utube character that he actually believed his engine out over a national forest would be accepted without question.His acting is so forced and lacking a real emotion that the obvious conclusion is what we use to call publicity stunt.The problem I have looking at all the evidence of preplaning the supposed engine failure,placement of cameras and post jump extreme effort to hike back to aircraft before anyone else could retrieve unedited footage proving a fraudulent accident.Being a sport skydiver he made sure of performing the skydive at an alitude he was familiar with....8 to 10 thousand feet....he picked an area without any obvious ranch or dwellings (good idea or he could be facing a murder charge if the plane came down at the wrong place.He ignores the fact that at his apparent alitude as shown on footage ,even the worst example of a 65 hp taylorcraft has a better glide (with that low drag wing)than any cub or champ .He ignores the many potential landing sites besides the obvious santa ynez airport well within gliding range at his apparent alitude.This whole episode reeks of probable criminal wreakness intent....he will probably get away with it as it would be tough to prove beyond circumstantial evidence.

Even if this turns out to be accidental, I think we'd all agree that he could go f--- himself for concluding "all pilots should wear a parachute"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

If you notice when he lets go of the yoke, the plane immediately pitches nose-down. Seems as if he forced the trim down to keep the crash site near to where he could parachute to it

I was going to ask about that, would that be expected to happen in a Taylorcraft with the change in CG?