OH MY !!!!!! PANEL MOCKUP ADDED

cliffy

After due deliberation, sacrifices of smoke and chickens :-) and blowing into a didgeridoo for hours I settled on a Dynon package.

Everything Let me say that again- EVERYTHING gets pulled and dumped except the MX-11 comm

I am admittedly gambling on the autopilot certification this year. 

They have a basic package that does exactly what I need for a VFR only set up easily expandable to full IFR with only the installation of a say- G 430WAAS

Their package includes an HDX 10" screen, a new ADSB OUT transponder, a new Comm  radio and the necessary D-10 standby display (only required because of the STC) I added ADSB IN for display on the HDX, along with the EMS system for display on the HDX

A new PS PMA6000b audio panel will go in and I kept the MX-11 comm for a last ditch comm radio in case of catastrophic failure in the HDX.

All the parts for about $20K    A/P parts will be about 2K more when available (labor extra)  What would a similar Big G package go for?  :-) There's a Bonanza in the hangar with me waiting on a full Big G package for $55,000 with a many months wait for parts. 

The left panel will have the HDX the D-10, the ign switch, both gear lights and the data in USB plug  and nothing more (Before anyone  jumps in and says that the HDX shows gear lights - YES I know that and it will be hooked up BUT for commonality to the previous habit patterns set up with the original lights I am keeping them in to prevent any issues with breaking the habit patterns in this airplane with such an important task. The next guy can  remove them if he wants but I want them right in  front of my eyes, maybe I've just been doing this stuff too long but I've seen things happen in my 60 yrs of flying).

The right side is empty except for a power USB plug for the wife's iFlyGPS tablet

The center stack only has the PMA6000b and the MX-11

NO ROUND DIALS AT ALL IN THE PANEL and only 2 screens to look at. HDX and D-10

I looked at Aspens (I looked at them when they first came out decades ago), AV30s, the Garmin round glass and figured they were all half way measures, if I was going to go glass - go all the way.

Its a paradigm shift in panel layout and technology for the entire panel information transfer from airplane/engine to pilot brain.

I just don't see where keeping SOME mechanical gages intermixed with new glass technology accomplishes anything substantial, 19th century with 21st century?

Reminds me now of my last big iron - the all glass Airbus

Also replacing Master switch, fuel pump switch and the radio master switch as they get the most use every flight. The old red C/Bs are gone too. 

This suffices for me as I do not do IFR any more (single engine).  The next owner can add the 430 if they want that capability. The internals on the HDX do everything I want for VFR flight. I have flown coast to coast several times VFR and I have the time to stop if necessary to do it that way.

My radio shop is at KVGT They are a long time avionics and 145 repair station at KVGT and they have filed to become an authorized Dynon installation facility using my airplane  and one of their own as their qualifiers.  So far so good. 

This saga will continue

Edited by cliffy
add
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Looks like its going to be nice. Only thing i might add that is well worth the price delta is the audiopanel. If you can, do a pma450b instead of the 6000b.

An WHY? I've ;looked at the 450 and I don't need the extra "stuff" it provides. Why add stuff I'm not going to use? Willing to listen to arguments on the other side. 

Inteliaudio is a game changer in my opinion. Makes it way easier to listen to atis/awos/asos while on flight following. Dual bluetooth. So you can listen to what you want to while your wife listens to her own music. Spare charger. Very user friendly. You also have atc mute modes for the passengers so they don't need to listen to atc but instead only listen to you. There are more reasons but those are some of the basics. You can also add warning inputs. Out of all the things i like the most in my panel, the pma450b and the gfc500 were the 2 major game changers. I like my audio panel and it would be one of the highest priorities to upgrade if my plane didnt have a modern one. Just my 2 cents. Another option is trying to get a used pma450a from chase at @Avionics Source. i doubt it'll be more than a couple hundred bucks more than the pma6000b.

• Like 1

I appreciate your comments but in my case I have no passenger audio (don't carry more than the 2 of us),

I'm way old school and don't want music on the flight deck All it does is detract from the tasks at hand (airline habits prevail)

so I don't need Bluetooth in my case

Won't get XM weather as I have ADSB In (with 1090) and that suites me for my needs (basically clear and 50)

I don't need wifi to load data at all (old school again)

And most of the time I'm not talking to anyone even FF except in very congested airspace or Class B C D airspace.

I've listened to constant ATC noise for almost all of my 60 years flying and like the quiet of not talking to anyone. (monitor 121.5)

I do go into Class B several times a year

As a 145 Repair Station my shop needs an 8130 to install anything so a used unit without same won't work in this case. 

Like I said nice comments but in my case the 6000 does everything I need

do you have an estimate on the total cost after install? you mention 20k for parts but what is the projected labor install?

I'm not familiar with the Dynon AP, what are its capabilities and it not approved for Mooney yet right? so will you have an AP or just wait till approved (can you install one to act as a wing leveler or track a course just not shoot approaches?) 

We have kind of settled on a 60 hr  labor for install of the HDX system

As this is their fist Dynon install they are taking a SWAG with limits unless I approve but they are very experienced in other installs

I am having a few other items done at the same time that will be broken out under a different heading including the annual.

The Dynon Mooney AP approval is about 1/3 done. They just finished the Beech A36 AP approval and have one more in between that and the Mooney approval. 

The Mooney approval is for the later Mooneys below the long bodies. They are not planning on doing the long bodies. 

The very early Mooneys B-G before 65 "MAY" be included depends on commonality of parts. Forget the firewood ones :-)

The capability is full approach capability just like Big G with approved GPS navigator. 

As I stated, I'm gambling on it being approved this year If so only the servos will need to be purchased and installed to make it active. 

I can also hand fly an airplane if needed Learned how to do that a long time ago.

• Like 2

Cliffy,

Your projects are always fun to watch!

Sooo many details…

Sooo far looking into the future, or down the road…

The Dynon is going to be a great AP…. When available…

At least six people around here are waiting to add the servos…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cliffy said:

Doing something different for the new panels finished looks

I'll keep you in suspense until I get it ready to install  :-) :-)

It may work and it may not- we'll see

Can't wait!!!   Love to see the progress.  Also love to see an investment in the future of your D/C!   Hate to see only new panels going into "modern" M20 models.

• 2 weeks later...

Panel mockup below

First pic is mockup showing exactly what will be in the two panels   What you see on the left side (except for the ign switch and 2 gear lites is all that will be there,

On the right side is my wife's iFlyGPS tablet. THAT is all that will be there.  Nothing else on the 2 panels

In the center stack will be the audio panel and second com at the bottom and the comm control head for the Dynon comm top center of the radio stack 

I wanted the panel finish to mimic the instrument panel in my Rolls Royce so pic 4 shows the Rolls panel  (birdseye maple veneer) 

Pictures 2 and 3 are a little closer look at the mockup panels and pic 4 is self explanatory 

Things are mov'n on  :-)

panel mu 2.jpg

Panel MU 1.jpg

panel mu 3.jpg

1986_rolls-royce_silver_spirit-pic-230024890770882756-1024x768.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• cliffy changed the title to OH MY !!!!!! PANEL MOCKUP ADDED