Crankcase pressure measurement

6 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Thank you, FC. I went ahead and looked around the oil filter adapter housing with my articulating borescope and it seemed to be dry to me. Video posted:

I will keep looking.

I also asked Savvy Aviation Q/A and they offered that my Hartzel H-1 prop governor leaks because it doesn't have two P/N 72053 gaskets sandwiching the LW-12347 propeller governor pad plate as per Lycoming Service Instruction No. 1438A. I think this mod was already mentioned couple of times here on the board.

Separately, I re-torqued the top 1/4" bolts to Lyc overhaul spec and applied high torque RTV on the leak on the top mating seam of two case halves. It held up pretty good during the ground runups. However, when I went to do some pattern work, I noticed that the oil was once again pushing through the RTV.

IMG_4742.thumb.JPG.1d2f589adca229b48b4fa897b42b9e61.JPGIMG_4740.thumb.JPG.1efa191a2264a814a03601498206a4c7.JPG

So now my plan is to clean up this area really well from all the oil/RTV/impurities. Then reapply the RTV or ProSeal,  while putting a ShopVac in the dipstick tube to create the negative pressure inside the crankcase to pull the RTV further in the opening between two halves.   

If you have an IO360A1A, only one propeller governor gasket is required.  The IO360A3B6D in a J model requires an aluminum spacer and two gasket between the governor and the drive pad.  Mooney has a Service Instruction on this, 120 or 122?

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

If you have an IO360A1A, only one propeller governor gasket is required.  The IO360A3B6D in a J model requires an aluminum spacer and two gasket between the governor and the drive pad.  Mooney has a Service Instruction on this, 120 or 122?

Clarence

Thank you, Clarence. You are right, looks like M20-120 is affecting only J Models. But, confusing enough, Lyc SI 1438a affecting "All four and six cylinder, dual magneto engines with rear mounted propeller governor drives." https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-instruction-no-1438a 

What a head scratcher...

29 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

Hard to tell but, Looks like you might have a filter thats coming apart, damaged . 

Moose, great eye! You are right, the bottom of filter does have isolated leak, but I couldn't believe that the oil filter would leak. Never had leaks on any of my oil filters, car or plane. I guess I'm switching from Champ to Tempest filters now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Thank you, Clarence. You are right, looks like M20-120 is affecting only J Models. But, confusing enough, Lyc SI 1438a affecting "All four and six cylinder, dual magneto engines with rear mounted propeller governor drives." https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-instruction-no-1438a 

What a head scratcher...

The IO-360-A1A has two magnetos, not a dual magneto.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

What a head scratcher...

Looking at your video’s, I’d start with a thorough cleaning of the entire engine accessory section. Check the torque of all of the nuts on all installed accessories.  Then do ground runs in increasing lengths until oil shows up.  I’d question that crankcase pressure is the issue.

Clarence

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Looking at your video’s, I’d start with a thorough cleaning of the entire engine accessory section. Check the torque of all of the nuts on all installed accessories.  Then do ground runs in increasing lengths until oil shows up.  I’d question that crankcase pressure is the issue.

Clarence

Thank you, Clarence. I just need to find the torque values for accessory case bolts, as it doesn,t seem that the overhaul manual has the info on accessory items..

5 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

Thank you, Clarence. I just need to find the torque values for accessory case bolts, as it doesn,t seem that the overhaul manual has the info on accessory items..

If there isn’t a torque value listed for each item, then you have to use Torque values for nuts, bolts and screws.  They should be listed by size, 1/4”-20 and 5/16-18.

Clarence