New Garmin panel coming!

rbp

17 hours ago, cloud116 said:

pilot and co-pilot lemo plugs

panel looks great! I opted to put the G5 in the upper-righthand corner of the left panel for better viewing, and the engine monitor on the right panel

I had these in the old panel and am keeping them -- the shop is rewiring them for stereo! 

I also had two dual USB-C plugs installed, one left and one right, and one on the armrest in the back seat. Should be super useful

2 hours ago, rbp said:

NEWS FLASH -- the GFC500 servos which were installed a few weeks ago need to be replaced as per the SB

Bummer. 

One thing to check is that the trim system is in really good condition with minimum friction. The old King KS 179 servo would spin the trim shaft easily from stop to stop. In fact, it had so much torque that on older planes without the stepped stop nuts it could jam the trim system (usually at the up stop). Often people who never used the manual trim didn't know their trim was getting stiff until it was so bad that the servo wouldn't run it anymore. I make it a practice to manually reset the trim to the takeoff position after landing so I can feel that the trim is working properly.

The Mooney trim has to lift the whole tail against gravity when trimming up on the ground. It's geared pretty low to reduce effort and, apparently to the meet the time constraint for the servo to move it from one extreme to the other, the GSA 28 is geared up quite a bit. Note the size of the sprocket on the Garmin trim servo on a Mooney. This gearing increases the speed, but reduces the torque. So, if the trim system has a lot of extra friction, the servo may not be able to get to the up stop, or slows down and won't do it within the time limit. The Mooney STC sets the trim torque at 100%, so that's all its got. 

Skip

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, PT20J said:

When I was considering the GAP 26 AoA I looked at various installation locations. Garmin requires that the probe tip be located no farther aft of the leading edge than 25% of chord. It's hard to tell from the picture, but that location looks farther aft than that. You might want to double check with the shop.

good call!

IMG_2640.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

What kind of transition training/ practice do you expect to do before flying in IMC?

I have been "flying" the Garmin glass sim at MySimAcadamy.com at Solberg airport with a CFII. Although its G1000-based, i've been able to transition to EFIS, WAAS-based approaches (LPV, LNAV/VNAV), and flying vertical navigation profiles. I'm also reading the manuals for the GTN750 and the G3X

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

well the panel is done. I spent about five hours on the GPU today going through everything and updating the databases.

I feel like I’ve done as much as I can on the ground, And I will be picking it up on Tuesday, and spending three days flying with a CFII

Unfortunately I couldn’t get a great shot because of the angle of the sun. I’ll post a better one tomorrow

1536BBE3-9B4F-42C0-A3B8-8D5E3AA37436.thumb.jpeg.2fe23d9c3a80c7c9f01920a105aa3081.jpeg

F916A119-3200-4D49-BC25-FE90B812826D.jpeg

8D5979E9-0330-4725-8557-5C7E44A81B1F.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

An update on the CEIS fuel sender issues. The readings have been unreliable since installation. thanks to Jeff R's (can't find his member ID) recommendation, I took it to the shop where he had his successfully installed.

a list of problems:

1. the senders were improperly grounded -- they were going to the "Garmin" avionics ground, not to a local  frame ground IAW CEIS installation manual
2. a leak in a loosely installed sender
3. only 4 calibration points in a 44.5 gal tank (0, 15, 30, 44), so the readings were blocky from interpolation. it has been recalibrated now every @ every 5 gallons. 

There is still an issue with the right tank, where one of the senders seems to be rubbing and causing a dead spot. they are going to try to fix it though the filter neck, but if they can't the lower access panel will have to be removed and resealed, which will some time to cure. so I am going to live with the dead spot, and run through some tanks of fuel to see if they readings are better

It seems like the installer was just lazy and didn't read the instructions or follow  CEIS's instructions when they tried to fix it

Hoping to get it back tomorrow.