Today's flight for 2022

Spent the last two days doing familiarization training with the new panel. Lots of approaches, VOR and GPS navigation, All the auto pilot lateral and vertical  modes. 

The winds in a 200 mile radius of New York City for teens to 20s gusting  20s to 30s. 

When I got back, my home airport KLDJ RW27 was 310@25G32, With low level windshear. Fun times. 

E81023E6-804E-4682-9E08-AA9A7918B308.jpeg

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

How bumpy were the approaches?

:)

-a-

Very bumpy!  A lot of moderate and some severe, which would leave me 40 feet off altitude and 10° off course.   Saw  +/ -10 wind shear on final on nearly every approach  

winde at 9500 feet were 50 kts According to my new air data computer

• Thanks 1

Today I was flying to Ramona CA for the last VFW pig roast. 

While talking to Yuma approach, they called a Piper Colt climbing in front of me and told them to stop their climb at 8000 feet because there was a Mooney at their 6’oclock closing at over twice their speed.

Its good to fly a Mooney.

image.jpg

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 4

Yesterday I flew to attend a meeting in Vicksburg, Mississippi.   After all these years, this is the first time I've worked for an employer that reimburses for travel by personal aircraft!   The forecast had been showing VFR, but the day before the models were predicting low ceilings at my home drome at departure time.   Went out with my new Mooney friend and CFII @jwaviator for an instrument proficiency check the evening before.   Yesterday morning early took off IFR for a whole 1 minute of actual blasting up through a very thin, dark, 600' overcast layer.  Took this photo descending into Vicksburg with nice morning light showing barge traffic approaching the I-20 bridge.

IMG_2875.jpeg

• Like 5

I flew a Hope Air flight today - transporting a person from a remote community that has to travel for a medical medical appointment (not medevac). The flight was from Hamilton Ontario (CYHM) up to Hearst (CYHF) in Northern Ontario. It's the furthest North I've been in my home province (3 hours by Mooney) and far enough North that there was still ice on the lakes!

IMG_0024.PNG

20220506_115457.jpg

20220506_122803.jpg

• Like 1

I went to Winston-Salem North Carolina and back this week to Wake Forest Medical School - to kick off an NIH project I am PI on.  I got my brain scanned as part of an equipment familiarization which was kinda neat.  45min in an MRI machine.

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

brain.png

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I went to Winston-Salem North Carolina and back this week to Wake Forest Medical School - to kick off an NIH project I am PI on.  I got my brain scanned as part of an equipment familiarization which was kinda neat.  45min in an MRI machine.

IMG_5282.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

brain.png

Can you spin the image so we can see it from different perspectives?

BTW, I’m currently a researcher on a NIH project out of Chapel Hill.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Can you spin the image so we can see it from different perspectives?

BTW, I’m currently a researcher on a NIH project out of Chapel Hill.

Yes we can!

Cool beans - and I bet I flew right by you on the way home.

It's a shame that Chapel Hill closed the Chapel Hill airport.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Yes we can!

Cool beans - and I bet I flew right by you on the way home.

It's a shame that Chapel Hill closed the Chapel Hill airport.

No spit…

I haven’t flown the Mooney there yet, but I did Fly a turbo Comanche back from there about a month ago. My friend called me up and said “Are you in Raleigh? I just bought a Comanche in Charolette. Can you fly it home?” I said sure. Near the end of the second leg he sends me a text saying the insurance requires 5 hours in Comanches. I replied, “I will when I land”

Im currently on a DTRA Covid 19 project. Kind of ironic after the exchanges here last year….

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

IMG_5282.jpg

brain.png

Wow, I'm shocked that no little airplane shapes are in the last image! :D

I'm looking forward to visiting an MRI soon, stupid health insurance can't make up their mind how badly I messed up my knee . . . .

So please, everyone, keep this thread busy so I can fly vicariously while I wait! 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Wow, I'm shocked that no little airplane shapes are in the last image! :D

I'm looking forward to visiting an MRI soon, stupid health insurance can't make up their mind how badly I messed up my knee . . . .

So please, everyone, keep this thread busy so I can fly vicariously while I wait! 

Best of luck with the knee!!!

While it was a research scan, for purpose of acquaintance with the theorist (me) to the experimental equipment, the MRI, To tell you the truth - I was a tad nervous that this would be one of those occasions that they find something and then its one of those "good luck we ran into this horrible problem early by chance" stories.  Instead they gave me nice news that my brain is in excellent health age wise and is showing no sign of age related atrophy typical of my age (55) and they said it looked more like I am 37 in the scan.  Yay!

I have had two MRI for injuries and it seems like an orthopedic scan takes like 5 or 10 min?  The fMRI scan of my head took 45 min.  There was one stage where they were also pulsing RF for technical reasons and so the magnetic field and the RF field together where making my back muscles spaz.  Nothing like that happens in a orthopedic scan.

Edited by aviatoreb

8 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I have had two MRI for injuries and it seems like an orthopedic scan takes like 5 or 10 min?  The fMRI scan of my head took 45 min.  

Good news about your head!

My three previous MRIs (shoulder, neck, abdomen) were ~30 minutes or so, it's hard to tell with earplugs "softening" the hammers of hell just beside you . . . Seems like forever, and the wall of the tunnel is too close to focus even if it had features or even surface irregularities. 

• Like 1

I flew a there and back mission of about 18 minutes each way to save about $2 per gallon for 31 gallons of fuel.

It’s kind of like I would have lost money if I hadn’t done it.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I flew to Rotterdam (airport elevation -14 ft :)) over the weekend after a looooong time grounded due to LG repairs. So nice to be in the air again! On the way home there was this cool CB, I think over Mont Blanc.

Mont Blanc CB.jpeg

EHRD arrival.jpeg

Edited by Sue Bon
  • Like 5

Took @jwaviator to get his plane from the shop today.  On the way back we had a drag race at 21" and 2400 rpm down at 2500'.   He took this outstanding photo of our '67 C from his '64C.  The paint  job on our C looks really good from that distance!  High speed too!

BTW- it looks like I'm winning? :D

flight_of_the_day_09Jul22.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dominikos said:

two day trip from Houston to Bahamas. Overall, great fligh, helped by many suggestions from folks on the board…

now the plan is to relax for the next two weeks….

You gonna write up a HOWTO on this trip?   I'd like to do the same trip in early 2023.

6 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

You gonna write up a HOWTO on this trip?   I'd like to do the same trip in early 2023.

Will do. Probably not much to add to what others shared but there are some learnings from a first timer.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

Took @jwaviator to get his plane from the shop today.  On the way back we had a drag race at 21" and 2400 rpm down at 2500'.   He took this outstanding photo of our '67 C from his '64C.  The paint  job on our C looks really good from that distance!  High speed too!

Sounds like fun! What IAS were you showing? I use 23" / 2300 when 3500 or below and usually indicate 140-ish mph.