Today's flight for 2022

3 minutes ago, 211º said:

Just realized on a flight today, that I could do a panorama. 

IMG_9674.JPG

Haven't thought to try that, but your weather looks just like what we've been having here in Sweet Home the past couple or three weeks . . . . .

14 hours ago, Hank said:

Haven't thought to try that, but your weather looks just like what we've been having here in Sweet Home the past couple or three weeks . . . . .

Yes!  I was down there is some of that soup a few weeks ago.  The difference in temps between 3,000 feet and on the ground - Wow. You'd think that thickness of the air there would halt all arguments around whether or not a Mooney can be on-step. There definitely is a step to be on in that soup.

• 2 weeks later...

A smoooooth flight when past central Indiana's bumps and buildups.

It was an IFR flight when it seemed like no one was flying. "Center, 61Q has a strange request - I'd like to do three 120º right hand turns."

"Approved as requested. Advise when back on course. Why are you doing that?"

image.png.42597b18eeb7cf7dca231641da403d09.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 211º said:

It was an IFR flight when it seemed like no one was flying. "Center, 61Q has a strange request - I'd like to do three 120º right hand turns."

So 3 minutes on each leg? Or was 2 minutes each enough for everything to stabilize?

"Uh, I need to collect some data . . . . . "  :P

2 hours ago, 211º said:

Cool.  Were you in IMC?

3 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Nice speed check!  What did you come up with?

Well, the two short answers are "well, I don't know for sure" and "should I accidentally let people think that its knots and not mph?"

LOP was 155 mph and ROP was 161 mph...

But I'm not sure that I can just sum the three 120° headings and divide by three - the idea came to me on the long flight, but afterward, I looked up on line and realized that the standard is 3 legs 90º apart. I need to do some geometry and component angle thinking to see if my version has merit.

I'm also not sure that I gave it enough time to settle-in. I wasn't in a hurry per se, but I didn't want to be annoying to ATC.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 211º said:

Well, the two short answers are "well, I don't know for sure" and "should I accidentally let people think that its knots and not mph?"

LOP was 155 mph and ROP was 161 mph...

But I'm not sure that I can just sum the three 120° headings and divide by three - the idea came to me on the long flight, but afterward, I looked up on line and realized that the standard is 3 legs 90º apart. I need to do some geometry and component angle thinking to see if my version has merit.

I'm also not sure that I gave it enough time to settle-in. I wasn't in a hurry per se, but I didn't want to be annoying to ATC.

Well shoot.  Both of the calcs I’ve used required 90 degree heading changes.  I’m sure you can do it if you’re a real good vector mathologist.  No you can’t just average those 3 runs.  You’ll have a little extra from the xwind vector that won’t be canceled (hw/tw will cancel but the x wind component doesn’t).  It will be close.  You noted the gps groundspeed on each leg, correct?

If you ever want to try the 90 degree one, here’s a calc for it.

https://www.eaa62.org/technotes/speed.htm

the gap between ROP and LOP is similar to mine.  How high were you and what power setting?

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Earth pimples….  :)

What wing is it?

Interesting fuel cap location, out closer to the end….

Best regards,

-a-

PA46T.  Gotta have the fuel caps out that far to fit 85 gallons in each wing.  Going that way in the Mooney in a couple weeks, I’ll get a new picture with a prettier wing.

• Thanks 1

Hello from Gibraltar! I can't believe this all worked out. In Swiss German this was what's called a Mwurks - like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole through asking, begging, coercing, forcing... I got so lucky! Of the five available parking spots, EasyJet and British Airways are taking four. At the very last minute (one hour before arrival from an airport one hour away) they let me have the fifth and then said, "Well, your plane is so small. If we have to, we can just move it somewhere."

LXGB Downwind.JPG

LXGB Base.JPG

LXGB Final.JPG

LXGB Parking.JPG

• Like 10