Today's flight for 2022

10 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Back in a twin? When did that happen?

Sometime in 2020 I got a P337. I loved my previous P337 but found my mission changed since my last one and the highest I had it was 8,500 ft. A guy really wanted it so I traded him for this 310Q. It just came out of a major avionics upgrade last weekend. But, I'm seriously thinking of going back to a Mooney again and am in discussions for a potential trade that would get me back in a Mooney.

IMG_3046.jpeg

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 3

Sometime in 2020 I got a P337. I loved my previous P337 but found my mission changed since my last one and the highest I had it was 8,500 ft. A guy really wanted it so I traded him for this 310Q. It just came out of a major avionics upgrade last weekend. But, I'm seriously thinking of going back to a Mooney again and am in discussions for a potential trade that would get me back in a Mooney.
IMG_3046.thumb.jpeg.c665503eaf8cc281415402b090f38ccf.jpeg

Cool, I’m finally on the search for my second plane. Are you thinking about buying your last 231 back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

Cool, I’m finally on the search for my second plane. Are you thinking about buying your last 231 back?

Actually, the guy that bought my 231 just sold it last week. He's going to a Cirrus :wacko:

• Like 1

Actually, the guy that bought my 231 just sold it last week. He's going to a Cirrus :wacko:

If I remember right you’ve owned a few yourself:) I bet he’s going to regret that move. If you get any leads on a FIKI Bravo with a KFC225 AP and electric speed brakes send it my way.

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If I remember right you’ve owned a few yourself:) I bet he’s going to regret that move. If you get any leads on a FIKI Bravo with a KFC225 AP and electric speed brakes send it my way.

1989, 1990 and maybe a few of the early 1991 M20M's had vacuum speedbrakes, but you won't find any that have a  KFC-225 autopilot without electric speed brakes. The KFC225 started with the  2000 model year. For one with a KFC225 you're looking for serial numbers 27-0282 to 27-0330. (From 331 on were the GX that had the G1000 with the Stec-55X autopilot.) I owned three M20M's over the years, serial number 7, 150 and 209.

The drawback on the ones with the KFC225 is that they all came with the Moritz gauges, which were great when they worked but they eventually fail one gauge at a time, grounding the airplane, since Moritz isn't around to support the gauges. Hopefully you find one where they have upgraded the panel to replace the Moritz gauges with a JPI930.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I've only owned 18 airplanes, 7 twins and 11 singles, of which 4 were Mooneys (C, F, K & M). I run across a lot of airplanes. If I see one that fits your requirements I'll let you know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Spectating the sport of aircraft hunting… is one of my favorite past times!   :)

I think Ken needs to be hunting an Acclaim…. Solely, because he has the Bravo experience already…. :)

Go Mooney!

No desire for an Acclaim. If my current discussions end well I'll make a (somewhat) surprising announcement.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Haha 1

1989, 1990 and maybe a few of the early 1991 M20M's had vacuum speedbrakes, but you won't find any that have a  KFC-225 autopilot without electric speed brakes. The KFC225 started with the  2000 model year. For one with a KFC225 you're looking for serial numbers 27-0282 to 27-0330. (From 331 on were the GX that had the G1000 with the Stec-55X autopilot.) I owned three M20M's over the years, serial number 7, 150 and 209.
The drawback on the ones with the KFC225 is that they all came with the Moritz gauges, which were great when they worked but they eventually fail one gauge at a time, grounding the airplane, since Moritz isn't around to support the gauges. Hopefully you find one where they have upgraded the panel to replace the Moritz gauges with a JPI930.

The main reason I want a 225 is because everything would be electric and removing the dual vacuum system is easy. After making my 201 electric it made me happy flying IMC. The Bravo or Acclaim will
be my forever plane so I’ll go full panel and the other gauges would get pulled out. Either install a JPI 900/930 or the G3x to have new engine monitoring. I want a remote transponder either controlled by a gamin 750 or IFD550. I like a clean panel. Other than being easy to get fully electric is being FIKI, living in eastern Oregon the MEA’s are no lower than 9k I’ve hated not flying a lot of the late fall, winter, and early spring:) I love useful load, so I’ll continue to pull everything out of the plane I don’t need behind the panel and under the hood. I plan on putting a 4 blade MT prop too.

What is the criteria of Bravos with Charlie weights? I would prefer not to have a model with them.

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

What is the criteria of Bravos with Charlie weights? I would prefer not to have a model with them.

LBs have several options that get stored in the back….

1) O2 system

2) Fiki system

3) AC system

4) Remote avionics

5) Charlie weights….

6) XC version of batteries… for a few extra pounds…

If you find a bird laden with weights… it is missing one or more of the options….

Putting an MT on the front, probably allows for the removal of some Charlie weight….

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

The main reason I want a 225 is because everything would be electric and removing the dual vacuum system is easy. After making my 201 electric it made me happy flying IMC. The Bravo or Acclaim will
be my forever plane so I’ll go full panel and the other gauges would get pulled out. Either install a JPI 900/930 or the G3x to have new engine monitoring. I want a remote transponder either controlled by a gamin 750 or IFD550. I like a clean panel. Other than being easy to get fully electric is being FIKI, living in eastern Oregon the MEA’s are no lower than 9k I’ve hated not flying a lot of the late fall, winter, and early spring:) I love useful load, so I’ll continue to pull everything out of the plane I don’t need behind the panel and under the hood. I plan on putting a 4 blade MT prop too.

My '93 Bravo that I sold in November was all electric. It had a KFC150 autopilot with a JPI930. I had the useful load up to 1032 but it didn't have FIKI.

If it has charlie weights and you remove weight up front you can get rid of charlie weights to offset. The POH will show which charlie weights are installed. 

I was going to put an MT prop on mine since they look great and even sound great, but three different prop shops, two of which are MT dealers talked me out of it. You might talk to @Cody Stallings or @philiplane.

• Like 1

My '93 Bravo that I sold in November was all electric. It had a KFC150 autopilot with a JPI930. I had the useful load up to 1032 but it didn't have FIKI.
If it has charlie weights and you remove weight up front you can get rid of charlie weights to offset. The POH will show which charlie weights are installed. 
I was going to put an MT prop on mine since they look great and even sound great, but three different prop shops, two of which are MT dealers talked me out of it. You might talk to [mention=9703]Cody Stallings[/mention] or [mention=12083]philiplane[/mention].

That’s great to hear weights can be removed I was under the impression you couldn’t. I thought the KFC150 used the IA and needed the vacuum system. That’s awesome I was wrong.

I’ve talked a lot with Cody over the years definitely the expert I am going to when it comes to props and he said at first I should put an MT prop on my 201, but last I heard he was thinking about putting one on his plane:) so maybe he’s been worn done about how great they are:)

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

That’s great to hear weights can be removed I was under the impression you couldn’t. I thought the KFC150 used the IA and needed the vacuum system. That’s awesome I was wrong.

I’ve talked a lot with Cody over the years definitely the expert I am going to when it comes to props and he said at first I should put an MT prop on my 201, but last I heard he was thinking about putting one on his plane:) so maybe he’s been worn done about how great they are:)

The KFC150 and 225 both used the KI256 AI which was vacuum, but I replaced mine with Aspens to go all electric.

Nowadays the Garmin GI-0275s would also work with either of these autopilots.

• Like 1

The KFC150 and 225 both used the KI256 AI which was vacuum, but I replaced mine with Aspens to go all electric.
Nowadays the Garmin GI-0275s would also work with either of these autopilots.

I was thinking I read the 225 would but the 150 wouldn’t. I’ll have to do some more reading. I would still prefer a 2000 or newer Bravo though.

my flight today was three hours in the simulator learning Garmin glass in a dual G1000 setup.  Did 6 coupled approaches, including 3 LPVs. The vertical navigation is pretty amazing, but there's a lot of cross checking between the inputs into the flightplan and the AP, and checking that all the right modes are active/armed on the AP.

IMG_2510.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

curiously, in 2000, when i removed the KL89B/KT155 stack from my '98 Bravo and put in  430/530, i also put in a 225 AP, so it had the old guages and the electric speedbrakes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...