Overhead vent upgrade project

• 3 months later...

So funny story related to ventilation.  Since moving to GA I finally broke down after all these years and bought an ArticCooler.  

Used it for the first time 2 weeks ago and found it incredibly anemic on the ground.  Pushing little air, not that cold.  I climbed out highly pissed off and really hot because I had vents closed. 

When I got to cruise, set the auto pilot, and turned around to check it out.  There is a nice Velcro cover that goes over the radiator when not in use.  Removing that changed everything.  

So one thumb up for me being stupid.  Two thumbs up for it actually working really good.  I used it landing back in GA and with all vents sealed up kept the plane nice and cool on taxi  in.  

That being said also interested in the dorsal move.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNIndy said:

From reviewing the thread it looks like three people ended up making these. Is anyone currently selling them? 

I got as far as getting a quote from a thermoforming company but they could only produce parts in standard ABS plastic as Fire resistant ABS wasn't available from their supplier.  I felt it important that the parts were fire resistant and met flammability standards if I was going to provide them to anyone else,   It has been a while, maybe I'll reach out again and see if anything has changed.  

• 4 weeks later...

Getting ready to do the same thing to my [busted up] air vents. Interested to buy the finished goods or the drawings and make myself. I have access to 3D printer. Also have connections in China to get them made in mass.

Thanks for all of the good input. Love what you did! BTW, which eyeballs did you buy from Aircraft Spruce. I might have missed that!

15 hours ago, DKroutil said:

Getting ready to do the same thing to my [busted up] air vents. Interested to buy the finished goods or the drawings and make myself. I have access to 3D printer. Also have connections in China to get them made in mass.

Thanks for all of the good input. Love what you did! BTW, which eyeballs did you buy from Aircraft Spruce. I might have missed that!

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/eyeballswivelvent.php?clickkey=9302

These are the vents I used, they are mostly aluminum and have a low profile.  Unfortunately they are 30 dollars more expensive than when I bought them last year. 

On 1/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Based on your suggestions, I moved ahead and did the modifications... Here are some pictures of how it looks now... Thanks for all the ideas...

PHOTO-2022-01-29-12-10-58 2.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-29-12-10-58 3.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-29-12-10-57.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-29-12-10-58.jpg

Are you willing to share the 3d print file for these? I would like to make some. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’d considered making adapters for people but am concerned about it being seen as making unapproved airplane parts.  I have considered renting out the tools and materials I built to make the parts for a nominal fee (maybe $50) plus the cost to ship to people.  Once you have made the parts ship back to me or ship to the next person.  Kit would include everything except the ABS plastic sheet, the vents and the propane gas to run a torch.  You would also need a shop vac to use the small vacuum table that would is included.   I’d imagine most people either have a shop vac or know someone who does.   So the only out of pocket cost would be buying a propane torch bottle.   With this arrangement I don’t see how it couldn’t be considered an owner produced part.  

Any interest in this arrangement?  If so I’d need to build a better frame to hold the plastic while it’s being heated and formed.  The one I made for mine is a pain to use.    I could probably also make a YouTube instructional video on how to do it.  

Anyway. Let me know.