Mooney M20F rear seat recline lever

TheMooneyAnomaly

There is a roll pin thru the shaft that fits into a notch in the lever. The lever itself is held on the shaft by the center screw and a very tight fit.  I had to construct a puller to remove mine.  The shaft was also frozen in the bushing requiring complete disassembly.  Probably why the original lever broke.  A little lube on the shaft and cable, everything that moves will probably keep things moving freely for years.  Not moving the levers for years at a time is most likely the cause of frozen cables, levers, etc.  Exercise those levers every time you think about it.

P1010706.thumb.JPG.9a17227f9fbefa6d26a6bff43b9a4784.JPG

On 12/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, StPeteM20F said:

Hello!  First post and I hope I've selected the correct section. Been a Mooney owner for a full 2 days now :)

I'm having trouble finding a replacement rear seat (LH) recline lever.  Might anyone have a line on those?

Thanks!

What year is your F. Are you looking for the lever or the handle.

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Seats recline or fold forward individually in my 67F.  Back seat is quite comfy after you’ve gone through the hassle of ingress.

My 1970 C is the same way, I always thought the folding seats went in with the factory 6-pack, elimination of sub-spar flap mount and V speed increases. Guess the seat happened before all of that . . . .

14 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Seats recline or fold forward individually in my 67F.  Back seat is quite comfy after you’ve gone through the hassle of ingress.

Same on mine (s/N 670091). Also, we can easily remove seat backs by pulling spring loaded pin. Putting those back is very difficult though and takes forever due to limited access and visibility of the mounting bracket and hardware...  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Same on mine (s/N 670091). Also, we can easily remove seat backs by pulling spring loaded pin. Putting those back is very difficult though and takes forever due to limited access and visibility of the mounting bracket and hardware...  

Not to mention the seatbelt ends. Getting the seat backs out is easy. Reinstalling would be more easily done with 3 hands and X-ray vision.

Thats an early run 67 you’ve got there.  Ours is 670422 with an airworthiness date of 07/03/1967.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, David Lloyd said:

There is a roll pin thru the shaft that fits into a notch in the lever. The lever itself is held on the shaft by the center screw and a very tight fit.  I had to construct a puller to remove mine.  The shaft was also frozen in the bushing requiring complete disassembly.  Probably why the original lever broke.

P1010706.thumb.JPG.9a17227f9fbefa6d26a6bff43b9a4784.JPG

I pulled the screw and utilized my pretty accurate hand arm pull o meter to the point that it is pretty accurate to the breaking point of plastic and then gave up. Looking at the parts manual the best I could figure you had to pull the roll pin to get the lever off.   Then could not figure how to get to the roll pin.  I just used masking tape and a shower curtain to paint the panels in the plane.

• 1 month later...

In the case of my 67F, I was just looking for the handle itself.  I was only able to find a handle w/the bracket & cable (eBay).

Procured this and tried the handle on the existing assembly - but the existing components seem frozen in place.

In April, I get an avionics package (including autopilot) and my interior will be removed.  This one challenge will wait until then.

Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, Shadrach said:

What year is your F. Are you looking for the lever or the handle.

1967. Sorry about not seeing the reply! Learning this platform :)

Serial 680002
Airworthiness date of 10/26/1967

I just broke my other seat recline handle! Brittle plastic and lots of resistance. 

May need another handle & the assembly behind it...

2 hours ago, StPeteM20F said:

Serial 680002

I just broke my other seat recline handle! Brittle plastic and lots of resistance. 

So, are your handles plastic like on a picture above? I'd be interested to see the picture of the setup.

I have a 67F and, IIRC, handles are sheet metal with spacers at the end to hook your fingers when operating them... and are recessed below the armrest. I never used them so memory is fuzzy. See Item 33 in this manual:

oh, almost forgot:

according your s/n your plane is '68 but built in 67.

Seat.JPG

In the case of my 67F, I was just looking for the handle itself.  I was only able to find a handle w/the bracket & cable (eBay).

Procured this and tried the handle on the existing assembly - but the existing components seem frozen in place.

In April, I get an avionics package (including autopilot) and my interior will be removed.  This one challenge will wait until then.

Thanks for the replies!

I found that the cable assembly on mine were frozen as well. I used Sea Foam’s Deep Creep and one of these to lubricate the cable:

322b1dd0b3770bcd090b75abb6fbc99d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, StPeteM20F said:

Serial 680002

That’s weird...The “recline” levers in my F are steel with a threaded barrel at the end that forms a “T”.  They are far from fragile.

Edited by Shadrach

19 hours ago, StPeteM20F said:

Hi, John! I tried messaging you but it says you cannot receive messages.  Did you end up discovering an extra handle/lever? Thanks!

Did you still need two seat recline levers?  I printed one last night and will be checking it later today for fit and function.   1645714672623403016950891171438.thumb.jpg.beafafb06d3e6366df67c3318f26d8a7.jpg

• Like 1

Did you still need two seat recline levers?  I printed one last night and will be checking it later today for fit and function.   1645714672623403016950891171438.thumb.jpg.beafafb06d3e6366df67c3318f26d8a7.jpg

Beautiful! I am in need of at least one - but two would make it a matching pair! Let me know how it works. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, are your handles plastic like on a picture above? I'd be interested to see the picture of the setup.
I have a 67F and, IIRC, handles are sheet metal with spacers at the end to hook your fingers when operating them... and are recessed below the armrest. I never used them so memory is fuzzy. See Item 33 in this manual:
oh, almost forgot:
according your s/n your plane is '68 but built in 67.

Interesting re:model year. So mine may better match ones that proclaim to be a 68?
f47844e94bf0458bd98cbefb0a23db3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk