Starting to Look For a New Airplane...

CoffeeCan

After 400+ hours of enjoyable flying in a Mooney 231 (and 10 minutes of not-so-enjoyable gliding) I am about to go airplane shopping. I've been in touch with Jimmy Garrison at GMax, which has been encouraging. 

I am looking at moving up to a used Bravo or Ovation, in part due to my experience with the foibles of the TSIO-360, but also for some of the other advantages of the newer models. Any Bravo or Ovation owners care to comment on that?  I'm particularly wondering about how well these models deal with higher altitudes and long cruise flights. Most of my flying is 2.5+ hour flights, with about 30% of my flights being over 3.5 hours. My experience in the turbocharged 231 has led me to really, really like flying in the teens, altitude-wise, on these longer trips. 

On the other hand, I may take a giant leap and move over to a Beechcraft F33... but that feels a little bit like treason, deep down... 

I've been debating the direction I want to go... I have no qualms about the airworthiness of Mooney aircraft, but I am more than a little concerned about the fact that the factory is not manufacturing Mooney parts any longer. This has already proven to be a problem for me (during my 2020 Annual From Hell) and I am concerned that future parts availability is going to become a serious problem. 

So, before I take a step I'll regret and go shopping for a Bonanza, I'd like to hear from my fellow Mooniacs... what do y'all think/know about the future of Mooney parts, and the effect this is going to have on the fleet in general? 

I think if we all thought parts availability would really be an issue, many more of us here would’ve sold our airplanes already.  That should speak to the popularity, functionality, and value for the money that Mooneys have over many other brands.  Honestly, you have to make the decision that’s right for you tho.

• Like 1

In reality there are a small number of parts you need from Mooney for normal maintenance of a Mooney Airframe.  If you land it gear up, that is a different story as some part can take awhile.  That being said I’ve been waiting for a wing root fairing for a Cirrus, which might come before Christmas after more than 2 months of waiting.

Clarence

6 hours ago, CoffeeCan said:

but I am more than a little concerned about the fact that the factory is not manufacturing Mooney parts any longer. This has already proven to be a problem for me (during my 2020 Annual From Hell) and I am concerned that future parts availability is going to become a serious problem. 

Maybe not at the speed you would like, but Mooney is making parts. 

If you are used to a turbocharged airplane and enjoy flying in the teens, you will want another turbocharged airplane. My first 4 Mooneys were turbocharged and I bought an Ovation which had an amazing panel, awesome paint scheme, great interior but I really missed the turbo. Less than a year later I owned another turbo Mooney.

• Like 3

As far as an Ovation goes, I find mine loves 10, 11 and 12. Open up that big bore Continental and she gallops along like a trusty steed. I usually fly between 2 and 3.5 hour legs, but I've done 4 +. I'm not one to suck on O2 if I don't have to, getting too old for that stuff, but I have gone up to 17, no problem. If you don't get in a hurry to get it off the ground at high density altitudes it performs just fine. 

• Like 1

I love my O3 powered O1….

My usual flights are under two hours….

I would go turbo long body for its added skills… + (10,11,12…)

Going to a different brand of plane… will occur after I decide to go turbine…. And pressurized… or six seat…

I would have to find two additional people that would want to ride in the back first….   :)

Still waiting for the first pre flown Ovation with the turbine engine… or the STC to modify mine… :) 

Go RR, or Rocket Engineering!

-a-

• Like 1

With the new parts on the shelf and being manufactured, used parts, LASAR and other sources and owner supplied parts I do not anticipate a problem finding parts for an older Mooney with a long production run. A newer model with specialized parts and shorter production run may present challenges that I have not experienced.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

With the new parts on the shelf and being manufactured, used parts, LASAR and other sources and owner supplied parts I do not anticipate a problem finding parts for an older Mooney with a long production run. A newer model with specialized parts and shorter production run may present challenges that I have not experienced.  

I've had similar thoughts.  I'm hesitant to move up from my '67F because I've never had problems finding parts.  WIth folks parting out airplanes, it seems like there will be a supply.  I'm also considering an Ovation but wonder if parts may be more difficult to find.  And regarding the factory, folks comment that the factory is still making parts but I see no evidence of it on their web site.  Does anyone know what Mooney is actually doing at the factory?  Are they responding to the MSCs and making or identifying parts when needed (even if it takes a while)?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Maybe not at the speed you would like, but Mooney is making parts. 

If you are used to a turbocharged airplane and enjoy flying in the teens, you will want another turbocharged airplane. My first 4 Mooneys were turbocharged and I bought an Ovation which had an amazing panel, awesome paint scheme, great interior but I really missed the turbo. Less than a year later I owned another turbo Mooney.

LC, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have to say I am really pleased with the flight characteristics of the turbo Mooneys I've sampled so far (231, 252) and I do love flying in the teens. It's good to hear from another turbo junkie here! 

FWIW, one of the aviation writers I respect most, Mike Busch, is also a dedicated turbocharger fan. 

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

Going to a different brand of plane… will occur after I decide to go turbine…. And pressurized… or six seat…

I would have to find two additional people that would want to ride in the back first….   :)

Still waiting for the first pre flown Ovation with the turbine engine… or the STC to modify mine… :) 

Go RR, or Rocket Engineering!

-a-

Yes, indeed. As I suggested in the OP, I'm reluctant to move away from the Mooney marque for a number of reasons, not least of which is I have more time in Mooneys than anything else, and nothing else I've flown flies quite like a Mooney! 

As for going pressurized, or six-passenger capacity, that's not a big deal for me... the vast majority of my flights are solo, with perhaps 25% of hours being me and my wife. I have had 3 people in the airplane exactly once, and never 4. So I do NOT need 6 seats. 

However, I DO want to have a bit more useful load, if I can get it. On our last fishing trip to WY, we were very close to max gross weight, and that made for a sluggish takeoff from Sheridan on the homebound leg... not enough to be worrisome, but it makes a fella slightly nervous as the runway behind him becomes greater than the runway ahead... Anyways, that's part of the "why" I'm looking at the Bravo and Ovation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bartman said:

I'm intrigued to hear that the factory IS actually making parts, now... but I have been listening to folks who are not in touch with the Mooney community a lot lately, and not a few Bonanza owners, so my sources may be biased. 

Does anyone here know what's going on at the factory in Kerrville? 

6 hours ago, CoffeeCan said:

I'm intrigued to hear that the factory IS actually making parts, now... but I have been listening to folks who are not in touch with the Mooney community a lot lately, and not a few Bonanza owners, so my sources may be biased. 

I was there Friday. They did a software upgrade to my Mooney and bled the brakes. They are getting parts out to dealers to support the fleet and they are servicing Mooneys. Some parts are taking longer than others. They are dealing with supply chains issues like everyone else I'm sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, LANCECASPER said:

I was there Friday. They did a software upgrade to my Mooney and bled the brakes. They are getting parts out to dealers to support the fleet and they are servicing Mooneys. Some parts are taking longer than others. They are dealing with supply chains issues like everyone else I'm sure.

Thanks. I appreciate the update. 

On 12/20/2021 at 9:52 AM, CoffeeCan said:

In the 25ish years I’ve had my Mooney the story of the factory has changed many more times than I can remember. A bunch of banaza guys who tell you something they heard from a friend is a relevant as a 10 year old newspaper.
there is money in parts even if there isn’t any in making airplanes.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, CoffeeCan said:

Yes, indeed. As I suggested in the OP, I'm reluctant to move away from the Mooney marque for a number of reasons, not least of which is I have more time in Mooneys than anything else, and nothing else I've flown flies quite like a Mooney! 

As for going pressurized, or six-passenger capacity, that's not a big deal for me... the vast majority of my flights are solo, with perhaps 25% of hours being me and my wife. I have had 3 people in the airplane exactly once, and never 4. So I do NOT need 6 seats. 

However, I DO want to have a bit more useful load, if I can get it. On our last fishing trip to WY, we were very close to max gross weight, and that made for a sluggish takeoff from Sheridan on the homebound leg... not enough to be worrisome, but it makes a fella slightly nervous as the runway behind him becomes greater than the runway ahead... Anyways, that's part of the "why" I'm looking at the Bravo and Ovation. 

You have an 80% mission that a turbo Mooney does very well.  FIKI Bravo or Acclaim would make you very happy.  Shipping bags or gear ahead is usually no big deal, whereas shipping live human beings is, so if your useful load constraint is stuff, just ship it.

The unicorn plane would be a FIKI Encore, which has better UL and requires less fuel (weight) per trip.

When I bought the TN in 2016, I also looked at turbo-normalized A36 bonanzas with TKS.  There wasn't much to choose from, and they felt overpriced to me.  As with you, the Mooney is "the Devil I Know," and after 25 years of ownership, with just a few years off, the Mooney is the best value, best suited for my mission plane - short of a TBM, which  is a bigger commitment than I'm willing to make right now.

Good luck in your search.  Some day, there will be pre-owned planes available...

-dan

• Like 1