2011 Flight Hours

Seth

How many hours did you fly in 2011?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours did you fly in 2011?

I realize we are still a few days from the end of 2011, but due to my schedule, I'm done for the year.  This is my first down year since owning an airplane (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), but I sill flew quite a lot of hours so I'm not complaining!  168. 

Feel free to wait until the 1st to chime in, and no, this isn't about bragging rights, I just am wondering what the other Mooney pilots are flying, what is average, what are the outliers. 

Also, do not limit this to just Mooney aircarft - any plane you flew where you were PIC - if it was solo, dual, CFI work, safety pilot, for work (airline, armed services, freight, rescue, etc . . .) - what did you log?  Mine was Solo, Dual, and a little safety pilot in five aircraft:  Mooney M20F, two separate Mooney M20J 300 Missiles (the one I purchased and the one I test flew), C172, PA-28R Arrow.

Yes - I did make sure that the highest total for the poll was "201+"  Gotta love the Mooney!

Happy new year and safe flying!

-Seth

Hmm, let's see.  I was home from my deployment to Saudi Arabia for 2.5 weeks in January and then again for 3 weeks in July while moving the family to Germany.  Still managed to cram 46.6 hours into those 5 plus weeks in the states.  Not great, but not bad considering.  Will probably only get about 20 hours next year during my trip back home in the summer.  The plane is still being flown/maintained locally by a close friend so it's not sitting in the hangar.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

Brian

180.0 hours in 2011 so far, mainly thanks to my new old Mooney that I got this May. 165.3 hours were in airplane, 14.7 in glider. Of the 165.3 hours airplane, 162.7 were complex. 153.7 hours were in my Mooney. 81.8 hours cross country with 76.3 of those in my Mooney. I also added 39.9 hours of instrument time this year and earned my instrument rating.

The majority of my time was in my 1978 M20J. The rest of the hours were in a mix of BE35 Bonanza, PA28R-180 Arrow, PA28-160 Cadet, Cessna 162 Skycatcher, and gliders (Schweizer 2-33, 2-32, 1-26, 1-34). It was a great year with tons of flying and many firsts for me, mainly thanks to getting my own plane, more specifically a Mooney!

I flew around 65 hours this year (Mooney time) and that was with it down for modifications for 2.5 months and then another 1 month to have to paint touched up.  About 400+ in the KC-135 and about 250+ in the T-6A.  On top of that I moved twice....once from Wichita to San Antonio and then San Antonio to Enid...so for me I would say I had a good flying year :-)

lets see....

M20J- ~50 (8 months of deployment didn't help this number...) hrs

F/A-18C- ~75 hrs

F/A-18E/F- ~100 hrs

Carrier Traps for 2011- 95 (all on CVN76 USS RONALD REAGAN).

F-15C- 1.8  (this number will increase rapidly in 2012 as I get my quals up!!)

I'm just over 100 for 2011. It's down this year for a number of reasons; one is that I did not do my annual coast-to-coast XC this year. Business forecast for 2012 looks good; so more business flying and hopefully more $ for personal flying, too.

Jim

Hi all,

I will have around 330 hours this year.

• Mooney -         61
  • Falcon 900 -   126
  • Learjet 35A ~ 130
  • Learjet 31A ~   14
  • Mooneyspace - I hate to even think about how much time I spend on here!!!  Surprised

I don't know that I'll do as much in the Mooney in 2012 since I am not commuting anymore but I hope so.  I have had such a good time with this airplane.  It is such a baby doll and I am head over heels crazy about it.

Quote: Seth

I realize we are still a few days from the end of 2011, but due to my schedule, I'm done for the year.  This is my first down year since owning an airplane (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), but I sill flew quite a lot of hours so I'm not complaining!  168. 

Feel free to wait until the 1st to chime in, and no, this isn't about bragging rights, I just am wondering what the other Mooney pilots are flying, what is average, what are the outliers. 

Also, do not limit this to just Mooney aircarft - any plane you flew where you were PIC - if it was solo, dual, CFI work, safety pilot, for work (airline, armed services, freight, rescue, etc . . .) - what did you log?  Mine was Solo, Dual, and a little safety pilot in five aircraft:  Mooney M20F, two separate Mooney M20J 300 Missiles (the one I purchased and the one I test flew), C172, PA-28R Arrow.

Yes - I did make sure that the highest total for the poll was "201+"  Gotta love the Mooney!

Happy new year and safe flying!

-Seth

I'll have right around 240 hours for the 12 month total and every second has been in the Mooney. The cool part is that my 1 year old son just got a "first logbook" for Christmas and he has logged 13.9 since his first flight in October. Hopefully he gets the flying bug from me like I did from my father.

Quote: The-sky-captain

I'll have right around 240 hours for the 12 month total and every second has been in the Mooney. The cool part is that my 1 year old son just got a "first logbook" for Christmas and he has logged 13.9 since his first flight in October. Hopefully he gets the flying bug from me like I did from my father.

42.5 in my C, all logged since September when I bought. Probably won't fly in Jan because I'm doing instrument ground school and have some maintenance to take care of. Hoping the instrument training helps me keep the hours up.

5.6 in a rented arrow earlier in the year. I don't miss renting.

I logged maybe 210 hours in 2011, about half of which were in my M20E, and about half were in my Long EZ...

including a flight in the M20E to Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica, and the Yucatan...if anyone's interested I blogged a little bit about it, just search for roaming aviators in central america...there are a few tips for anyone wanting to head down that way.

I'd trade alot of those hours for a few minutes in an F-18 though! wow! some impressive people on this site.

Wow. Suddenly I don't feel so bad about coming in between 80-90 hours this year, even with 4+ weeks for a tank reseal. December has been warmer with rain instead of snow, but I don't mind--I haven't had to shovel any rain yet!  Cool  I even made my first Young Eagles flight, and next year will be able to give rides at our Airport Day event in June. My goal was to hit 500 hrs. this year, but am ending at 496.3 . . . Depending on what the weather brings, I could make it next week [i have a U-Haul appointment this weekend] or it could be March. Some years I have logged "0" in Jan & Feb!