GTN-750/650**, Ifd540, etc "User Fields" - Whats your Favorites and why? We all love (GS) Ground Speed, whats a must for you? VRS? DTK? TRK? etc. Functions? or Pages?

Cabanaboy

• Cabanaboy changed the title to GTN-750/650**, Ifd540, etc "User Fields" - Whats your Favorites and why? We all love (GS) Ground Speed, whats a must for you? VRS? DTK? TRK? etc. Functions? or Pages?

Depends on how many screens you have that can display information but among my favorites are:

Groundspeed

Distance to destination

Distance to next fix

Vertical speed required (if I don't have an autopilot that does VNAV)

ETE to destination.

We have dual GTN650's.  We leave one set to the Flightplan page and one set to the Map page.  Because of that, we have the field on the far right, just below the standby frequency window, set to page buttons that take us directly to the FP/Map page respectively.  That way, if we navigate away from our usual page for some reason (find a nearest for example, or loading an approach) we can get back to the usual page with a single touch.

• Like 1

GTN750 with GTN650.

I find Time to TOD (Top of Decent) coupled with VSR - Vertical Speed Required, makes descents (when using VNAV) pretty easy to time without having to do mental math.  Put top left user field "Time to TOD" and top right user field "VSR" (or vice versa).

I've also enjoyed the Visual approach field that comes up around airports; makes it easy to throw in a visual for a long straight in approach and easy to see a perpendicular extended base leg.  I watched a Garmin webinar showing a pilot add the Procedures page or Approach page to one of the lower user fields to quickly select an approach.  I've added this briefly when I'm working on approaches so that I can quickly add approach after approach.

I'd like to get my location of ETA to next waypoint squared away...would make position reporting easier and since I just got my instrument rating I'm still working on where to get each piece of info and what's the most efficient way to set the avionics up for me.  Of course I have more of the standard flight data shown routinely in the GTN 650 default nav page.  So I've been using this for standard flight info (TRK, DTK, ETA, etc)

Marc.

• Like 1