What Will $125,000 USD Get Me?

GeneralT001

Hi,

Looking for a Mooney. Was originally going to build an RV14 but would probably be dead before it was finished.

I don't see a lot of Mooneys for sale and I don't know much about them. From what I've read it seems a late model M20F or an M20J seems to be the way to go. The "Rocket" at 300HP eats a lot of gas....love the TAS mind you :)

Ideally I'd like to get something that I could retro fit with all glass (Garmin GTX kit) and sink money into revamping.

I saw one for sale that had been used as a trainer for Koreans with 10,000+ AF hours...guessing I might want to avoid that?

Welcome aboard GT!

You are on the right track…

F and Js are near the 100amu line…

Some Js are above the line…

Some Es have 100amu panels….

10k hrs isn’t a lot… but training hours, won’t be on your preferred list…

If you find something in the low cost area… expect plenty of catch-up work may be required…

If your total budget is over 200amu… then Long Bodies start to become into play…

For a better view of Mooney pricing… find All American Aircraft/ GMax…. On the web.  Lots of Mooneys listed by Jimmy.

Some people like to match the blades to the cylinders…

Others like to match a blade to every 50hp or so…

Some like the pull of the 3 blade for T/O performance…

Some like the Top speed of the two blade…

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard GT!

You are on the right track…

F and Js are near the 100amu line…

Some Js are above the line…

Some Es have 100amu panels….

10k hrs isn’t a lot… but training hours, won’t be on your preferred list…

If you find something in the low cost area… expect plenty of catch-up work may be required…

If your total budget is over 200amu… then Long Bodies start to become into play…

For a better view of Mooney pricing… find All American Aircraft/ GMax…. On the web.  Lots of Mooneys listed by Jimmy.

Best regards,

-a-

Hi, thanks....forgive my ignorance...but what are "amu's"?

4 minutes ago, 201er said:

Not any more. With inflation it’s more like $1200 these days. AMU = Aviation Monetary Unit. Pretty much anything you need in Aviation runs you one AMU and up.

Citation?

Or, is that just another opinion, like mine?:D

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

There is an RV14 with full Garmin panel, interior but no paint 400TT for sale on Vansairforce.net for $260,000.  That much will buy a lot of other good classic planes.

Clarence

But 125k (probably 150k) plus a lot of effort will just about build it. You'll have a brand new plane with  brand new avionics and new wiring. You'll have the repair certificate and maintenance will cost you your own time and parts are 1/4 the price in a lot of cases. You won't have to scramble to find someone to overhaul a gear actuator for $10k or pay $1k for a no back spring.

Unless you're planning to go turbo. Then there's nothing that can touch a turbo Mooney at the price point, but I think the 14 is about 15ktas faster than the j

Edited by philip_g

I get the sense that a lot of aircraft at this price range sell without ever hitting the websites like Trade-a-plane, Barnstormers, etc.. Get to know the A&Ps, CFIs, and club members at your local field and put the feelers out everywhere. You'll be surprised at the number of people who know someone thinking about selling, and so on. The community around me was an enormous help (esp if this is your first aircraft purchase).

I'd also start arranging a hangar if you haven't already, and get working to find an IA you'll use for your pre-buy and annuals.

I forgot to mention in my earlier response.... If you are serious and starting to look seriously, get in touch with Jimmy Garrison at gmaxallameircan:

He keeps a list of people that are looking and sends them advance notice of when he is getting something new added to his inventory. Check out his current inventory here: https://www.gmaxamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GeneralT001 said:

But then again...it does aerobatics (+6g and -4g)

Can it loop fast enough to throw Passenger #2 and all luggage to the final destination?  :D

Or do you need to fly 3 legs--take Pax #1 and some bags, then go back for Pax #2 and more luggage?

Go Mooney!

7 hours ago, philip_g said:

But 125k (probably 150k) plus a lot of effort will just about build it. You'll have a brand new plane with  brand new avionics and new wiring. You'll have the repair certificate and maintenance will cost you your own time and parts are 1/4 the price in a lot of cases. You won't have to scramble to find someone to overhaul a gear actuator for $10k or pay $1k for a no back spring.

Unless you're planning to go turbo. Then there's nothing that can touch a turbo Mooney at the price point, but I think the 14 is about 15ktas faster than the j

I very often read here of people complaining about the quality of GA maintenance.  I’ve seen more than my fair share of scary maintenance completed on homebuilts over the years.  They have a higher accident rate for a reason. 

Clarence

11 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I very often read here of people complaining about the quality of GA maintenance.  I’ve seen more than my fair share of scary maintenance completed on homebuilts over the years.  They have a higher accident rate for a reason. 

Clarence

I don't have a problem with the quality of it. The cost either really. I think most people underestimate how much work it is to do even basic tasks on these things. The only reason we get to fly is people are willing to fix these things when we break them.

Parts.... That's another matter entirely

Edited by philip_g