Power cutoff on battery 1

Steve Yucht

Yesterday in my 2000 Ovation 2, I went to startup and while cranking the starter and all electrical equipment shut off. I turned off the master and when I turned it back on I had power for a few seconds.  All gauges lit up and needles pegged at the stops followed by everything shutting off (master was still on). No breakers tripped. When switched to battery 2 everything worked properly and was able to startup normally. I checked the batteries and both are above 24V.  No loose wires that I can find.  Any solutions to consider before bringing her in to minimize my time grounded. 

2 hours ago, Steve Yucht said:

Yesterday in my 2000 Ovation 2, I went to startup and while cranking the starter and all electrical equipment shut off. I turned off the master and when I turned it back on I had power for a few seconds.  All gauges lit up and needles pegged at the stops followed by everything shutting off (master was still on). No breakers tripped. When switched to battery 2 everything worked properly and was able to startup normally. I checked the batteries and both are above 24V.  No loose wires that I can find.  Any solutions to consider before bringing her in to minimize my time grounded. 

IMG_0144.MOV

A highly sulfated battery or one with a bad cell can show voltage but when a load is asked it can't push the amps. How old are your batteries?

5 hours ago, Steve Yucht said:

Continental batteries replaced March 2020 and have been on a Bateryminder since. 

I bought a Teledyne (Gill 7243-16) in March 2020 and it had the exact symptoms as yours in September 2021. (I noticed it slowing down a few months sooner than that, around May.) It showed 26 volts but wouldn't power up the avionics and of course wouldn't turn the starter. A brand new Concorde swapped out in its place solved the problem. Perhaps a bad batch of batteries (worse than usual Gills) at that time frame?  My serial number was G03065919.

• 1 month later...

Followup: mechanic said the continental battery failed the “caps” test and wouldn’t take a charge. All is good with a new battery.  After plugging in my battery minder with the new battery the lights seemed wrong.  I then had the epiphany: my extension cord to the Battery Minder had come unplugged allowing the battery to die.  This was on the heals of 4 months in the paint shop which really drained the battery.  

Edited by Steve Yucht
  • Like 2