Getting the Acclaim home

LANCECASPER

Last week after delivering the Bravo I sold to FL I flew commercially up to Philadelphia and drove to Princeton NJ to look at an Acclaim Type S.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJh-c2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiI.thumb.jpeg.ecb10f2c13e08634f7f5fd54e376c9ef.jpeg

I ended up buying it and flying it home last Saturday with a stop just outside Memphis TN.

(25 kt avg headwind the entire way back to TX :().

1642707581_ScreenShot2021-11-25at2_39_49PM.thumb.png.8925cef259214a7f1fd89c7816f43f1c.png

2088507783_ScreenShot2021-11-25at2_40_22PM.thumb.png.9d261272b3533b74ee1f0a2db369c272.png

I have to say on first impression that the GFC700 is the best autopilot I've ever flown behind. Very smooth and a lot of attention to detail. (Small thing but every time you enter a Baro change the autopilot gets you back to your pre-selected altitude. I've never had that before on an autopilot. On the first baro change it started climbing and I thought something was wrong. . lol)

This one came from Mooney with WAAS and in 2020 it had a GTX345R added for adsb out and traffic-in. I'll get ads-b weather-in after I do the -37 software upgrade. It also has the Monroy Long Range Tanks. 

I'm looking forward to doing some catch-up maintenance (shock discs, bleed brakes, new batteries) and flying it.

• Like 16

Congrats! Next time im that way!

Even nicer is the AP in the TBM910 Garmin 3000 setup now belonging to a former Ultra owner I had the pleasure of flying with yesterday. With all the talk of the GFC500 YD, one can only dream to be lucky as I was yesterday and fly behind this truly pro setup. Anytime you can claim left seat of any Mooney (or any plane for that matter) you truly do have something to be thankful for on thanksgiving.

PXL_20211124_161721354.MP (1).jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

the GFC700 is the best autopilot I've ever flown behind

Couldn’t agree more.

If you use ForeFlight and have a subscription that supports performance profiles, download the acclaim profile.  It was built from a Type S POH, and I find the 29x2500 LOP profile dead on if I reduce speed by 5% and fuel by the same.  

See you have a clean wing, so maybe you don’t need any adjustments.

congrats again.

-dan

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Last week after delivering the Bravo I sold to FL I flew commercially up to Philadelphia and drove to Princeton NJ to look at an Acclaim Type S.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJh-c2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiI.thumb.jpeg.ecb10f2c13e08634f7f5fd54e376c9ef.jpeg

I ended up buying it and flying it home last Saturday with a stop just outside Memphis TN.

(25 kt avg headwind the entire way back to TX :().

1642707581_ScreenShot2021-11-25at2_39_49PM.thumb.png.8925cef259214a7f1fd89c7816f43f1c.png

2088507783_ScreenShot2021-11-25at2_40_22PM.thumb.png.9d261272b3533b74ee1f0a2db369c272.png

I have to say on first impression that the GFC700 is the best autopilot I've ever flown behind. Very smooth and a lot of attention to detail. (Small thing but every time you enter a Baro change the autopilot gets you back to your pre-selected altitude. I've never had that before on an autopilot. On the first baro change it started climbing and I thought something was wrong. . lol)

This one came from Mooney with WAAS and it had a GTX345 added for adsb out and traffic-in. I'll get ads-b weather-in after I do the -37 software upgrade. It also has the Monroy Long Range Tanks. 

I'm looking forward to doing some catch-up maintenance (shock discs, bleed brakes, new batteries) and flying it.

How do you like it so far compared to the bravo?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

How do you like it so far compared to the bravo?

They're both great airplanes. The climb performance in the Acclaim S is amazing and I don't even have the 310 hp STC. My Bravo was a '93 and this is an '08 so Mooney came a long ways in interior fit and finish in those years so that's a plus. I tried out lean of peak early on in the flight on the way home and it is smooth. I could never do that in the Bravo, even though some people have made it work.I need some time getting used to the G1000 but I have to say that I really like the integration. Time will tell and I realize going into it that upgrades are tied to the type certificate, but with the amount of G1000 airplanes that have been built of all brands, finding a screen, etc. shouldn't be that tough if you're resourceful. Plus I'm convinced that if it's ever to the point where there are no replacements, someone will do an STC for the latest and greatest at the time. If nothing else I'll velcro my iPad to the screen . . lol

The flight characteristics are pretty much the same although it seems to land better and float less. I'm definitely not used to the "winglet" yet. When I look out there I feel like I'm flying the Batplane. 

4D1390DC-9F00-4257-97A0-2479574A4E3D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ac634afa1add050c6cd7c864f6b74cdf.jpeg

Before I came back, I told a friend of mine that I'm bringing back a 172 (which was my 1st airplane and I flew 500 hrs). He asked how many days I had planned for the trip. I still haven't told him what I brought back yet.

image.png.3ace40f4bc18de468da313d53350adcd.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Congrats! Next time im that way!

Even nicer is the AP in the TBM910 Garmin 3000 setup now belonging to a former Ultra owner I had the pleasure of flying with yesterday. With all the talk of the GFC500 YD, one can only dream to be lucky as I was yesterday and fly behind this truly pro setup. Anytime you can claim left seat of any Mooney (or any plane for that matter) you truly do have something to be thankful for on thanksgiving.

PXL_20211124_161721354.MP (1).jpg

Now you have two reasons to come to Fredericksburg TX.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

What??? No transition training with Mr Elliot???? Just flew her straight home???

:) :) :)

Had I bought it in FL yes, but asking Mike to come to NJ no. The insurance company originally wanted to me to get a checkout with an instructor, but then waived that requirement. I still went up with an instructor the day before I brought it back for an overview of the G1000. It flies just like a Bravo, only easier and smoother . . . and faster :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Hahahahaha. I am surprised that any insurance requirements were needed. 

Just joking about Mr Elliot obviously. 

Just figured out what the 172 comment was referring to. Wow. That few hours. A shame really. 

Ill be at Cowboys soon, David..looking for Picahna cut next time :) I have a few clients now sprinkled liberally around the area Boerne, Austin, Kville, Fredricksberg and Dripping Springs, along with some in the Hou and Dal Area. Ill make a day or 4 of it sometime.

And Lance, no worries, I didnt want to pull out my winter sandals yet anyway :) Bringing you up to speed on the G1000 should be easy, along with the wonderful capabilities of the GFC700. The diff between the Bravo and Acclaim areo wise is there, but not TOO staggering that it will surprise kill you. Get with Kevin Kammer if needed on getting garminized. I dont know if they still have the Redbird at the delivery hangar or not, but it is a good way to play and be bought up to speed. If they do, spin the sim!
Sink rate is probably the biggest difference along with float between M and TN. 

Mike

• Like 1

For me, as an student pilot when I bought my first g1000 ovation, it took me a good 15-20 hours to get the hang of the g1000, double that to get completely comfortable, and probably six months before I mastered(not sure you ever really master, but for lack of a better word...)
The thing that prohibits a quicker transition is you don’t always get to choose the functions you execute because of conditions and atc.  
I tried a simulator but without the other tasks to integrate it didn’t really advance my learning past the initial familiarization. 
Given how much experience you have, I would think it will take you a fraction of the time it took me. It will click pretty soon. 
Aside from some things being a little less intuitive than they could be, like loading airways, it’s really pretty easy to learn. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, exM20K said:

Couldn’t agree more.

If you use ForeFlight and have a subscription that supports performance profiles, download the acclaim profile.  It was built from a Type S POH, and I find the 29x2500 LOP profile dead on if I reduce speed by 5% and fuel by the same.  

See you have a clean wing, so maybe you don’tT need any adjustments.

congrats again.

-dan

Thanks. Just did at your suggestion. 

Could you tell me which letters need to be checked for the ICAO Equipment for the profile on this airplane?

On 11/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Also, one of the best additions to the GFC 500, over the KFC 150.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Wow, Congrats Lance!

I think I know the previous owner… @39N.

If I’m right… He has a few planes to select from… :)

310hp would only be icing on that fabulous cake!

Best regards ,

-a-

Yes he had at least three and is more into aerobatics. 310hp has crossed my mind also  :)

Joe Z had the 310hp added to his Acclaim…

T/O and climb are noticeably improved…

Excess FF is contained by the PIC… :)

The most expensive part of going 310hp… is getting the Acclaim’s prop.

Which you probably have at the pointy end already…

STC, fuel flow adjustment, gov adjustment, tach adjustment…

Might be a pretty low cost upgrade for your new machine…

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Joe Z had the 310hp added to his Acclaim…

T/O and climb are noticeably improved…

Excess FF is contained by the PIC… :)

The most expensive part of going 310hp… is getting the Acclaim’s prop.

Which you probably have at the pointy end already…

STC, fuel flow adjustment, gov adjustment, tach adjustment…

Might be a pretty low cost upgrade for your new machine…

Best regards,

-a-

I think you and I have identical props - the aluminum S-Type Acclaim Prop.

• Like 1

One very experienced  mechanic I trust when I asked about the upgrade said the STC on turbocharged engines unduly increased the stress on the motor and he was not a proponent. 

This was not a message that there was/is something wrong from a safety standpoint but rather a longevity perspective.  There are a lot of variables that could go into his observations but he has seen a lot of the fleet over many years. 

just another perspective to consider. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Geoff said:

One very experienced  mechanic I trust when I asked about the upgrade said the STC on turbocharged engines unduly increased the stress on the motor and he was not a proponent. 

This was not a message that there was/is something wrong from a safety standpoint but rather a longevity perspective.  There are a lot of variables that could go into his observations but he has seen a lot of the fleet over many years. 

just another perspective to consider. 

I’ll add to this view as well.  Two of the best DERs and mechanics on the planet have both advised me (in the event I pull the trigger on an Acclaim) to avoid the 310HP upgrade on the TSIO550 platform…basically saying it adds undue added wear and tear on an already hard-working engine, with very little - if any - increase in performance.  The 280HP out-of-the-box configuration is your better option.

Replace your massive plugs with iridium fine wire if you haven’t already.