Using my new toy to pull my Mooney out of the hangar and putting her back in.

Oscar Avalle

54 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Some asked me about how I liked my AC Airtechnology tug. Well, I though the best thing would be to put together a video and share it here.

Oscar

Saw this video on YT the other day - thank you for posting!

When watching the video, I thought it seemed really easy to exceed the turn radius limits with this tug - is that something you have to be careful of, or is there a safety limiter somewhere?

57 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Some asked me about how I liked my AC Airtechnology tug. Well, I though the best thing would be to put together a video and share it here.

Oscar

How long does it take to reach takeoff speed?

;)

Edited by EricJ
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, toto said:

Saw this video on YT the other day - thank you for posting!

When watching the video, I thought it seemed really easy to exceed the turn radius limits with this tug - is that something you have to be careful of, or is there a safety limiter somewhere?

There are two options. One with a safety device and another one without. I went cheap and therefore I have to be very careful.... 

Not saying it can’t happen but the radios normally pair each time. Nothing moves until the two are bound together. 
Only time I would be concerned is if two are turned on at the same time. 
I recently ordered a tug from the same company. It’s a neat SoCal based company. I’ve used Tigertug and towbot tugs for over 13 years with zero issues. 
-Matt

7 hours ago, MB65E said:

Not saying it can’t happen but the radios normally pair each time. Nothing moves until the two are bound together. 
Only time I would be concerned is if two are turned on at the same time. 
I recently ordered a tug from the same company. It’s a neat SoCal based company. I’ve used Tigertug and towbot tugs for over 13 years with zero issues. 
-Matt

I would say it is very unlikely. They are paired and it only works if they are connected.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I don’t think he is talking about transmitter range.  I think he is talking about the battery life and range of the tug itself. 

Since I can still relatively easily push and pull my Mooney in and out of my hangar by hand I don’t see much value in this tug for this purpose.  Not for me, at least.  I can see value in it for my 1000 foot trip to fuel pump, though. That’s too far for me to do it by hand comfortably and using this would avoid an extra and otherwise unnecessary hot start.  Even then, though, the tug is just something else to have to maintain.  

Sorry if I was not clear. I believe the battery lasts enough for the task. 

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I don’t think he is talking about transmitter range.  I think he is talking about the battery life and range of the tug itself. 

Since I can still relatively easily push and pull my Mooney in and out of my hangar by hand I don’t see much value in this tug for this purpose.  Not for me, at least.  I can see value in it for my 1000 foot trip to fuel pump, though. That’s too far for me to do it by hand comfortably and using this would avoid an extra and otherwise unnecessary hot start.  Even then, though, the tug is just something else to have to maintain.  

D’oh! That’s clearly what he was asking about. I think I’ve had too much tryptophan and too little coffee today :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

Have you tried driving it with you sitting in the cockpit?

I tried it yesterday. It scared the heck out of the tower... I did not like it. Because you have to be careful with the turn radius I prefer to walk and make sure that I don't break anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I tried it yesterday. It scared the heck out of the tower... I did not like it. Because you have to be careful with the turn radius I prefer to walk and make sure that I don't break anything.

Just like learning to taxi a plane, it just takes practice.  :)   

I wouldn't even try to back up like that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...